1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Know Your Calories - Rice

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by shivachoubey, Aug 31, 2010.

1. shivachoubey

shivachoubey IL Hall of Fame

Have you ever wondered how come when you eat normal food you have gained weight.

According to me I was having normal meals (most of the times). 2 roties, rice, sabji, daal this was what a healthy plate should be and that is what I was having.

Ever since childhood, we used to come back home have our roties and the rice (never measured it and there was always a second serving) and then would go off to sleep and then it was studies and home work. The life pattern never changed much for me but the eating habit always continued.

When I started weight loss I wanted to know how much calories does my normal daily food has. I made a mental note of approximate calories in certain foods which I eat on daily basis. Its just an approx value which helps me to know if I am going over board.

I do not measure calories on daily basis (its waste of time), just a mental approx value is more than enough.

When I became aware of calories, I understood why over the years I had piled on so much weight.

Being aware never hurts.

The first thing I checked was calories in rice.

I use CalorieCount for my calorie reference, you can use any site on the web. We just need an approximate value here.

So for 158 gms/ 1 cup of rice has 205 calories. Remember, you won't eat only rice, it is always accompanied by some side dish.

So how much 158 gms rice looks like.

1. Its 1 quarter plate moderately filled or 1 medium size bowl. Now, when I am eating out I know the approximate calories on my plate with the amount of rice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can easily make your plate worth 600+ calories or as low as 400 calories. Add a Naan to the plate to increase the calories or have little rice and little naan to have less calories and satisfy the tongue.

Same rule apply at home. Increase the calories by going for second serving of rice or having roties along with rice OR decrease calories by having more of vegetables and salad along with rice and fill your stomach.

2. This is what my plate looked like before. 2 roties, rice, dal, sabji and there was always second helping of the rice.

[​IMG]

3. I no longer combine roti and rice together. It best to have 1 roti or little rice. Try bringing in a salad, the raw vegetables add a fresh twist to the meal and keep the stomach full for a long time. I have increased my vegetable intake and reduced the rice quantity.

[​IMG]

4. As a rule (according to me), vegetables and salad have no calories. Even for that matter I always go for second serving of dal if I am hungry.

View attachment 130150

When we reduce our food intake sometimes even before eating we think that its less food. But remember the reason you are over weight is because you are feeding yourself more food than necessary. So best way is to give it a try and see how full/satisfy you feel.

Its your plate and its your decision to either loaded it with calories OR to load the plate with less calories.

2. priya666

priya666 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the visual - was always confused about calories in rice!!! This certainly explains a lot.

3. paramoft

paramoft New IL'ite

Good info..though i knew most of it but i never bothered so much..and pictures make it easy to understand.. since you see that you are having a plate full of food, you dont feel hungry after eating it..it works on the mind..and since it is low in calories..it does not work on the body..helps in weight loss..
    thanks

4. vaishnavisri

vaishnavisri Senior IL'ite

nice info about rice. even i am trying to reduce rice, but dont feel filling at all when i try to reduce rice. ur pictorial explanation is really superb. very informative really. thanks

5. shivachoubey

I used to be confused about the food quantity. Then I got myself a food measuring scale and tell you what I was amazed to see the real quantity (not something which I visualized in my head).

I am glad to know it helped you.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

6. shivachoubey

Thanks for liking the post. During weight loss tricking the mind is important. You are right, the mind looks at the plate and see it full and hence we are satisfied with the low cal meal.

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

7. shivachoubey

Thanks for liking the post. If you like rice why don't you give starch less rice a try. Its a lighter version of rice and its great for weight loss.

Here is the link.

Starch Less Rice - IndusLadies

Have a great day ahead.

regards

Shiva

8. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Dear Shiva, good one dear. I log my food intake in lifemojo.com. There we can log our workout , food intake etc. Now its like a part of me, I have to fill it up daily however busy I am. It helps me maintain my weekly calorie intake. but yeah sometimes I do go overboard. Now I am somwhere betwen 48-49 and last week when I visited native everyone is scoldign for being so thin:( But at 5'1" this weight is fine right?

9. Durgapriye

Durgapriye Senior IL'ite

Hey Shiva,

You have been doing good job I am following your tips and it has worked wonders before i was lazy so i used prepare soups rarely now after seeing your blog and the importance you have given to diet and exercise i am following it. As truely mentioned by you we do go mood on/off modes regarding exercise it takes suc a temendous will to push myself to go for walk slowly I getting into routine.......

Thank you for your inspiring Blog..........
    Durga Priye

10. majime1980

majime1980 New IL'ite

Hi Shiva

You are doing a great job by inspiring people like me for weight loss.Everytime I go through your blogs, I make a resolution to frame a suitable diet chart for me.But unfortunately I fail everytime I make it.
    I am very very depressed bcoz of this and badly need your advice.I want to say a few things abt me.My current weight is 75(pre pregnancy wt :60) and (height is 5`4", age-30).I am severely asthmatic and have a 3 yr old kid.I work from home and also have to prepare for exams to enhance my career.In this situation when ever I frame a daily diet chart ( which includes 2 bread slice +omelette for bfast, banana-mid snack, whole grain rotis and subjis for lunch, tea and marie bisc and 2 rotis and subji/dhal for dinner), I always fail.Main reasons are my husband who is kind of underweight( by 7 kgs) and my 3 yr old are
    very picky eaters. They enjoy proper fried subjis(of potatoes and starchy veges) with right amount of oil and all kinds of coconut stuff (we r south indians).In this situation
    preparing these multigarin rotis or oil less subjis or salads bcome very difficult for me.For example I take a strict oath on sunday night to follow the chart,I follow it on mon and tues but by wed somethjing happens and I lose my determination.Since I stay in Bangalore and due to the bad weather here,I have been forbidden from morning walks.Whenver my health is good enuf I rush to the gym ( our aprtment has one) for my work out.I now feel like a loser.
    Please suggest something practical for me so that I can get rid of all this fat.Iam losing my self esteem.I promise to follow ur advise even if it takes time..Sorry for such a long post.