1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Knitting Made Easier Lessons

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by Meenamohan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Re: Knitting made easier lesson 3: CASTING OFF

Dear ramvino,

So nice of you to drop by. You can use wools too there whouldnt be any problem for you as you are an expert in cocheting ...

For you info I have started a new thread with knitting pattern for a hat. I finished posting 3 lessons so you can now take up a project thats y I posted a pattern with all specification. You can check this out. All the best.

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/craft-and-crochet-works/85030-knitting-made-easier-project-1-a.html

2. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Re: Knitting Lesson 2 : The Knit Stitch or Garter stitch

Dear Ramvino

Please check the other thread I have replied your query. Thank you

3. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Most welcome Ramvino ....

4. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

LEsson 4: THE PURL STITCH

Dear Ilites,

I hope you all liked the project and now you must be thorough with the Knit stitch .... so lets learn the next stitch Purl.

The reverse of knit side will be the purl (P) and vice versa. SO you can check it when you do the stitch.

1. To make a purl stitch, you do all the same steps as you do to make a knit stitch except with slightly different motions. Hold the needles as if to knit -- the needle with the stitches is in your left hand and the empty needle is in your right hand. . Place the yarn from the existing piece and the ball IN FRONT of the left needle. Insert the right needle towards you through the first stitch on the left needle (right to left, from the back to the front). The right needle will be on top of the left needle and pointing towards you (downward.) [​IMG]
    2. Loop the yarn from the left needle around the tip of the right needle from the front around the back in a downward counter-clockwise motion (the motion that is opposite the direction that the hands of the clock move) [​IMG]
    3. To make sure you don't lose the loop, place your right thumb over the yarn on the right needle so it won't come loose when you move the needle. Slide the tip of the right needle and the yarn on it through the center of the stitch on the left needle, moving it away from you. [​IMG]
    4. With the tip of the right needle, pull the new loop off the tip of the left needle. [​IMG]
    5. You now have a stitch on your right needle.
    CONGRATULATIONS! You have just made a purl stitch!

Repeat steps 1 through 4 to complete the row. If the process feels a little awkward, you are not alone. If you have only done the knit stitch, it will seem a little strange, but soon you'll feel at home using both stitches.
    When you have finished this row, turn your work (place the full needle in your left hand and the empty needle in your right hand) and KNIT the next row. After that, PURL the next row. Continue working, alternating each knit row with a purl row.

The process of alternating knit and purl rows creates stockinette stitch. Stockinette is smooth on one side with stitches that look and feel like V's. That's the knit side. The other side of a piece that is knitted in stockinette stitch looks and feels like it is covered with bumps. and ridges. When you are knitting stockinette, the side that is smooth is considered to be the right side (abbreviated 'RS'). The purl side with the bumps and ridges is considered to be the wrong side (abbreviated 'WS').

[​IMG]

5. AnjanaSawant

AnjanaSawant Gold IL'ite

Hi Meena,

After a lot search I could manage to bring needle but I got no. 10 :hide: as shopkeeper told me 7 is out of market now and 9 will be difficult for him to bring. So I thought of buying the available one.

I tried lesson no.1 and I am very happy that I did it. Pictures really helped me to do this :) My Mom is also very happy now, Thanks.

Tomorrow I will go for next Lesson no. 2 :)

6. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Thanks anjana for giving the fb after trying it..... appreciate your sincerity enjoy knitting dear .... :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

7. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Lesson 5: Ribbing

HI ILS .... the next is about how we use the knit and purl stitch and make patterns.

RIBBING

Ribbing is a border that is commonly used on the cuffs of sweaters. It is used because it produces a stretchy fabric. It is made with a combination of knit stitches and purl stitches. Ribbing can be done with any number of stitchs, but two or three is common. In our example, we use two.

[​IMG]

Knit two stitches. Bring the yarn from the back of your work between the needles to the front. Now purl two stitches. Bring the yarn to the back of your work between the needles. Knit two stitches. Continue to knit two stitches, purl two stitches until you reach the end of the row or until the pattern instructs you to do something different.

[​IMG]

On subsequent rows, knit the knit stitches (V stitches) and purl the purl stitches (bump stitches) Remember to have the working yarn in BACK when you knit and in FRONT when you purl

Stockinette Stitch
    Making a Gauge Swatch
    Joining New Yarn
    Recovering a Dropped Stitch
    Unraveling Stitch by Stitch

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  8. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Knitting Lesson 6: Stockinette stitch (St st)

St st = Stockinette stitch

To figure out whether you should be knitting the row or purling the row, put your work in your left hand.

[​IMG]

Which side is facing you?

If the V's are facing you, you are on the knit side and should knit the row. If the bumps are facing you, you are on the purl side, so purl the row.

9. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Knitting Lesson 7: GUAGE SWATCH

Making a Gauge Swatch

Gauge refers to the number of stitches and rows a knitter or crocheter makes per inch using a certain yarn and needles or hook. Gauge varies from person to person, so it is very important to make sure you are achieving the gauge of your pattern. Your gauge determines the size of your finished piece.

If you don't get the proper gauge, the garment will not come out to the intended size.

If you are knitting with a thick yarn like Wool-Ease® Thick and Quick® you'll make bigger stitches and have very few stitches and rows per inch. If you are knitting with a finer yarn, you'll make smaller stitches and have more stitches and rows per inch.

To make an accurate gauge swatch, cast on or chain enough stitches to equal approximately four inches and work in pattern for four inches. Take your stitches off the needle and, without stretching the fabric, place a tape measure on your work and gently pin where the tape measure reads one inch.

Count your stitches. Don't cheat. Make sure to count even a half or quarter of a stitch and include that into your gauge.

[​IMG]

If you have more stitches per inch than the gauge suggests, that means you are working too tightly; try a larger needle or hook. If you have fewer stitches than the suggested gauge, your stitches are too loose; try a smaller needle or hook

10. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Knitting Lesson 8: Joining new yarn

Joining New Yarn

It is always better to add a new ball of yarn at the beginning of a row. Loosely tie a knot with the new yarn around the old yarn, leaving a tail of a least 4 inches.

Slide the knot up the tail of the old yarn as close as possible to your work.

[​IMG]