1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Knitting Made Easier Lessons

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by Meenamohan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Thanks Jayanthi for stepping in As I mentioned earlier I already posted the second set of lessons the knit stitch yesterday. today will post more .... keep looking at the craft section.

check this out
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/craft-and-crochet-works/84974-knitting-lesson-2-knit-stitch.html

2. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Knitting made easier lesson 3: CASTING OFF

CASTING OFF OR BINDING OFF - BO

this is the final stitch in the project. To take it off your needle you need to Bind off the stitches.

Step 1:

Knit two stitches. Insert the top of the left needle into the first stitch on the right needle. Lift the stitch over the last stitch you knit and over the top of the right needle.
    [​IMG]

STEP 2:

One stitch remains on the right needle. Knit another stitch. Lift that stitch over the stitch just knit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    STEP 3:

Continue in this way until one loop remains. Cut the yarn, leaving a tail of 4 or 5 inches and draw the end through the last stitch.

[​IMG]

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW READY FOR KNITTING ..... LOOK OUT FOR THE KNIT PROJECTS USING GARTER STITCHES IN CRAFTS SECTION ....

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

3. jayarangan

jayarangan Silver IL'ite

Very nice tutorial.. Easy to understand.
    My mom does lot n lots of knitting work. She takes order n do it. But i m nil in it....... In my school days mom taught me basics.. Which i totally forgot n u made me remember.. Thanks Meena.

4. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Knitting made easier project 1. Garter stitch hat

DEAR Ilites,

Here we Go for the first Knitting project

SKILL LEVEL: Beginner
    SIZE: Child 7-8
    Circumference 18 inches [45.5 cm]

Materials:

Colour A : 1 Ball
    Colour B : 1 Ball

Knitting Needle Sizes : 13 or 9 mm.
    EYE BLUNT needle for sewing in the end or any crochet needle size 11 will do.

BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR GAUGE.

When you match the gauge in a pattern, your project will be the size specified in the pattern and the materials specified in the pattern will be sufficient. If it takes you fewer stitches and rows to make a 4 in. [10 cm] square, try using a smaller size hook or needles; if more stitches and rows, try a larger size hook or needles.

GAUGE:
    14 sts and 28 rows = 6 inches [15 cm] over garter stitch (k every row) using size 13 [9 mm] needles.
    NOTES:
    Hats as shown feature contrasting ties; 2 balls of yarn are required. Purchasing a single ball of yarn will result in the tie being the same color as the hat.

HAT
    Loosely cast on 42 stitches.

Work in garter stitch (knit every row) for 8" [20.5 cm] Bind off.

FINISHING: Sew sides together to form tube. Work in ends. Gather top of hat: Using tapestry needle and working along one row about 1/3 of the way from top of hat, thread project yarn in and out of stitches all the way around. Bring yarn ends to inside of hat and pull tight. Tie knot to secure.

Tie:
    Cast on 60 stitches. Bind off. Tie in bow at gathered position

CONGRATS !!! YOU HAVE KNIT A NEW HAT FOR YOUR CHILD

[​IMG]

5. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Re: Knitting made easier lesson 3: CASTING OFF

Meena, once again a big thank you for the lessons !!
    I am looking forward to trying out soon,,,

6. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Thanks Jayarangan ....
    Nice to know about your mom's skill .... I am not that very proficient in this art still learning more daily .... but wanted to share what little i know :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

7. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Sudha as usual you are the first in giving the FB. Very encouraging ... Best of luck for knitting ...Make your prints in this art .... :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

8. ramvino

ramvino Platinum IL'ite

its really great work meena!! i know only with crochet needle and the knots. but i dont know abt this two needle stitches i mean knitting with two needles, but few years back i learnt from my aunty who knows well abt it. but i forgot all those things. so thanks for recall me to put this one!! and will useful for me to improve my skills in that!!

9. ramvino

ramvino Platinum IL'ite

Re: Knitting Lesson 2 : The Knit Stitch or Garter stitch

very nice tutorial!!

10. ramvino

ramvino Platinum IL'ite

thanks once again meena for ur fantastic tutorial and i want to ask one question that is what type of thread we can use for this. we can use woolen thread or any other specific thread is their for making sweater? usually i use woolen threads only for my crocheting works.(i think u can see my woolen works often in my most of the threads) i love to do woolen works more than crafts,painting,embroidering.......... that is filling my art world!! wants to do more n more in woolen threads. but this one i dont know fully but will fulfill by your tutorials i think!! def, will do it dear!! thanks alot for that!!