1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Knitting Made Easier Lessons

Discussion in 'Knitting & Crochet' started by Meenamohan, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Dear all,

I have a passion for knitting. So I am here to share with you all the easy way of knitting which I learnt it from my DH's grandma. Who knitted gloves for soldiers in a ladies association during war... guess where ???? .... Chennai .... So dont think that knitting is for people living in winter zone. We can as well do it.

Knitting will give you a lifetime of pleasure and relaxation. You can create handmade knits for yourself and people you love. When you give a lovingly knit gift, part of you goes into it. Your time, talent, the yarn and color you select -- even the thoughts and feelings you have as your work -- are part of your knitted gift!

So find a suitable chair and good lighting enjoy knitting and NEVER GIVE UP KEEP TRYING.

I've also given video link in my another thread

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/c...s/92662-knitting-lovers-here-video-links.html

Please take note of it.
    For your convinience I've given some useful links for video tutorials in page 7 of this thread

Knitting videos

To begin, you will need

1. a pair of knitting needles and
    2. a skein (also called a 'ball' or a 'hank') of yarn. The terms 'skein' , 'ball' and 'hank' refers to the form factor for the bulk yarn. If its a skein make it as a ball for convinence.

CASTING ON is the first step in knitting.

Casting On is the term for making the foundation row of stitches on your needle. There are different methods of casting on what I am dealing now is the "Knitting Cast-On"

1. Working on a flat surface, begin by placing the ball of yarn to your left and holding the free end ('tail') of the yarn in your right hand. Make a very loose loop in the yarn about 5 or 6 inches (12 or 15 cm) from the free end of the yarn (the tail) by looping the yarn from the right to the left. The tail will be front and on top of the strand that comes from the ball of yarn. Then, pass the tail behind the strand, pulling the tail very gently to the right so that it passes behind the loop and the end of the yarn lies to the right of the loop and the ball of yarn:

In Simple term Make a NCC Knot or Double knot if you know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hope you understand from the picture better than the tricky words. ​

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.

2. Sudha Kailas

Sudha Kailas IL Hall of Fame

Meena, the procedure seems to be simple....yet to learn this from my mom who keeps knitting on and off for her grand children.
    Thanks for reminding me that this is still pending in my list of tuitions !!!

3. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Here it goes

There are two strands of yarn hanging down from the stitch. One is the tail of the yarn and the other strand goes to the ball of yarn. You will be working with the strand that goes to the ball of yarn. Holding the yarn with your right hand and keeping the needles in your left, bring the strand of yarn underneath the right needle. Wrap the strand around the tip of the right needle, starting underneath from the right, going around the back to the left and bringing the yarn up over the needle to the right so that the yarn is wrapped in a clockwise motion (the direction that the hands on the clock move). The strand of yarn will be on your right when you have finished:

[​IMG]

Pull the yarn with your right pointer finger to tighten it so that it is not loose on the needle. Keeping the yarn wrapped on the right needle, pull the tip of the right needle towards you, out from below the left needle and up through the center of the stitch on the left needle. Then slide the tip of the right needle so that it is now on top of the left needle and the yarn that is wrapped around it has been pulled through the stitch that is on the left needle. When you are finished, the tips of your needles will be crossed with the tip of the right needle on top and the left one below. There is a loop on the right needle that has been pulled up through the stitch. Don't get discouraged if you don't get this on the first try! There is a 'knack' to moving the right needle and the loop on it so that the loop does not slide off when making this motion. This can take several tries before it becomes natural. ​

[​IMG]

Now you have one loop on each needle with the right needle resting on top of the left needle. Elongate the pulled-through loop on the right needle by pulling it gently. This will soon be your second cast-on stitch!

[​IMG]

Transfer the new cast-on stitch from the right needle to the left needle by inserting the tip of the left needle into the loop of the stitch that you have just created on the right needle and slipping the stitch from the right needle to the left needle.

[​IMG]

You now have 2 loops ('cast-on stitches') on your left needle! Repeat the same process untill the required number of stitches are made.

To Practise May be you can keep on trying as many as you want. May be 50 would make you perfect.

All the best dears .... Next Lesson is Making The Knit Stitch. See you in Lesson 2. Enjoy casting until then. :thumbsup

[​IMG]

4. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Oh Sudha,

I think this is the only thing I know better so thought of sharing with you all. Thanks for dropping by. Now I am doing a summer shawl Lace work for my sis will post them as soon as I finish it. Thanks for dropping by.

5. AishwaryaV

AishwaryaV New IL'ite

hello meena madam,
    Thanks for sharing... It would be of great help for beginners like me...

Regards,
    Aish

6. Yashikushi

Yashikushi Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OH!!!!
    [​IMG]I missed this topic for sharing.)))))
    But you have brought in.Nice tutorial Meenu with added pics.
    waiting.....summer saul(t) lace...
    [​IMG]

7. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

HI Aishwarya,
    Most welcome... BTW pls call me Meena I am not that old to be called MAm .... :thumbsup

8. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Yashi, Thanks you dear

I have the whole tutorial with me and I thought of sharing it step by step like how i learnt. Thanks for the wishes ... after posting this the lace is coming out faster .... all your inspiration
    :):):)

9. deepa04

deepa04 Gold IL'ite

dear meena,

i learned knitting by the time of studying. i did fashion designing,
    so it is one of our syllabus. on that time it very hard for us.and for me one of my friend did samples . today also am having in my record note.
    but am keeping the notes to do knitting.doing......?

it is very useful who is really have interest
    do more posts..

10. Meenamohan

Meenamohan Silver IL'ite

Hi Deepa,
    Thanks a lot dear for dropping by. I learnt it from my DH's grandma. I am also planning to post more of patterns so that it will be useful for people like you all. Share some with us if you have any patterns ... may be some leafs or savvanahs ... :thumbsup