Kitchen Tips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Bhugan, Feb 12, 2006.

1. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

பயறு வகைகளை சிறிது விளக்கெண்ணெய் சேர்த்து கிளறி வைப்பதால் அவை பல நாட்கள் வரை புழுத்துப் போகாமல் இருக்கும்.

* புளியை நீண்ட நாட்கள் வைத்துக் கொள்ள பானையில் போட்டு வைக்கவும். பானையின் அடியில், புளியைப் போட்டு அதன் மேல் கொஞ்சம் உப்பைத் தூவினால் புளி கெடாமல் இருப்பதோடு, காய்ந்து போகாமலும் இருக்கும்.

* மாங்காய், எலுமிச்சம்பழம் போன்றவற்றை நீண்ட நாட்கள் பாதுகாக்க வேண்டுமாயின் நறுக்கி, வெயிலில் காய வைத்து வற்றல் போல் உலர்த்திக் கொள்ளவும். பின் எப்போது ஊறுகாய் வேண்டுமோ அப்போது வெந்நீரில் ஊற வைத்து ஊறுகாய் மாதிரி தாளித்து உபயோகிக்கலாம்.
    * தேங்காய் எண்ணெயில் சுத்தமான உப்புக் கல்லைப் போட்டு வைப்பதால், பல நாட்கள் கெடாமல் இருக்கும்.

2. Radhica

Radhica Silver IL'ite

Hi all

Thanks a lot to Sonu, Krishnamma and all others for wonderful tips. Though I knew a few of them, It was gr8 to find them in one place.

I would like add one more. Not sure whether it was posted before.

If the curry becomes salty add a piece of raw potato or a piece of roti dough. take it out after 10 mins. All the satiness would be gone

3. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

1.Ants Problem:
    Ants hate cucumbers.
    Keep the skin of cucumbers near the place or ant hole.

2.To get maximum juice out of lemons :
    Soak lemons in hot water for one hour,
    and then juice them.

3.To avoid smell of cabbage while cooking:
    Keep a piece of bread on the cabbage
    in the vessel while cooking.

To avoid tears while cutting onions:
    Chew gum.

5.To boil potatoes quickly:
    Skin one potato from one side only before boiling.

6.To skin sweet potatoes quickly :
    Soak in cold water immediately after boiling.

2 people like this.
  4. leelagk

leelagk Gold IL'ite

thanks saikripa for the kitchen tips...i hav heard that for getting abundant lemon juice,the lemon is kept for a very few secs in a MW oven nd then juice it..i didnt try yet...

5. AnanyaCM

AnanyaCM New IL'ite

Wow.. they look so fresh. Next time when i buy corriander and curry leaves, i am gonna put them in glass jars only..

thanx for this wonderful tip.. as i live in delhi curry leaves here are sold like gold...fabulous way to store them for long...

love & regards
    Kadambari

6. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

There is another method to keep curry leaves dry them in sun, powder and keep it in bottle to use whenever needed along with the rasam and sambhar powder.

7. deeparani2

deeparani2 Silver IL'ite

Found many useful tips in one place. Thanks to all who have given the tips.

8. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

to store curry leaves for many days, place clean paper or tissue inside a steel box. keep the washed and wiped curry leaves inside it, cover and store in refrigerator.

To store coriander leaves : do not wash. just wrap them in a paper and store.

To store green chillies : remove the stem, place a tissue paper or clean paper inside a box , spread the chillies and store covered in refrigerator.

All leafy greens can be stored in refrigerator by wrapping in a clean paper for 2-3 days fresh. If you wish to store for more days, remove them every alternate day, spread them in air for sometime and again wrap them in paper and put it back in fridge.

9. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

nice tips .
    i didnt remove stem in green chillie& put it in a ziplock cover &store it in fridge. it will come for long .

10. Muthuraji

Muthuraji IL Hall of Fame

Very nice tips are given together in one place. I feel so happy. So many information unknown to me is given here. Thanks for one and all who have given the information which is very useful for many of us.