Killer combo - Halwa and Jasmine??

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by singapalsmile, Mar 21, 2010.

1. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

The jasmine halwa combination does seem to be a regional thing. Why halwa and no other sweet? No clue. Count me in with Pavani and Sangeetha on this. Jasmine flowers smell divine and a white cotton saree with jasmine flowers on a summer day under the stars sounds very romantic.

1 person likes this.
  2. ananthy

ananthy Senior IL'ite

include me too along with Kma, Pavani and Sangeetha. jasmine and panneer roja can just fill any place with divine fragrance.

for me kerala cotton saree with golden border, lots of jasmine in hair, jimiki in ears, lots of bangles etc is an amazing combo.

halwa and jasmine is a killer combo in Tamil nadu more than anywhere else. so i too think it is regional. also it is more country related as many have pointed out.

why halwa ? well halwa is a different sweet and is also unique. we can call it the the most special sweet. we can make all other sweets easily but halwa is a special variety. so when it comes to very special occasion it calls for a very special sweet and looks like halwa is the best choice. the taste texture etc is something you wont find in any other sweet. it is a one of a kind sweet. just cant compare with anything else.

cannot imagine the halwa-jasmine combo with any other sweet, like laddu-jasmine, rasagulla-jasmine etc. it has become a norm.

JMO.

cheers.

3. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]Dear ananthy

what is panneer roja ?? :) just curious.....
    Will try it if i get it somewhere here in hyderabad :)
    woww...!!!! I too love this combo...:)
    I don't know if halwa is regional...yesterday i was watching TV...and in a Telugu movie called Sundarakanda... hero brings halwa home to initiate love to his wife... :) ......[/JUSTIFY]

4. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

^ [ just for information ]
    if we put Halwa and Romance on a popular search engine then this topic is on the top :)

here is a film news ( OR rather gossip ;-) ) which was repeated on many blogs

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. ananthy

ananthy Senior IL'ite

LOL sai, panneer roja is the fragrant rose that is used to make rosewater (called as panneer in tamil), garlands etc. mostly the dark pink or maroon variety. it is the one that is big bunchy type and has sweet rose smell when compared to the other variety that are small and round ones that look beautiful but aren't that fragrant. these are cheaper too. basically the ones that are grown in houses are mostly panneer roja. it will have the smell of rosewater in it. i hope you get it there too :). try it, nice smell.

well by regional i meant that this saying is very famous in Tamil nadu more than anywhere else. i didnt know that even in Andhra it is followed. well as long as it is helpful for anybody, who cares whether it is regional or not. :thumbsup

cheers.

6. Malavika81

Malavika81 Bronze IL'ite

Can someone give me a graphic description of a typical Halwa-Jasmine romance scenario? The girl wears a white sari and jasmine flowers and the bloke goes to see her with a packet of halwa and the bloke gets turned on by jasmine smell and the girl gets turned on by halwa smell and they both start snogging each other and make out? Would that be an approximate imagination of the scene? LOL I am trying to picture this romance the best I can.

7. singapalsmile

singapalsmile IL Hall of Fame

Thanks everyone for your active responses in this thread.

Ananthy -> I too think the physical properties (Texture and Elasticity) of Halwa make it all the more special. Are there any other physical/chemical properties that are peculiar to Halwa?

Well, I can imagine Gulab Jamoon in place of Halwa though my vote goes for Halwa and Jasmine combo invariably.

Malavika -> Certain things are better not said and I leave it to the imagination of readers to fabricate romantic games on their own for the Halwa + Jamine combo and its variant. :wink:

8. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Malavika, we will just have to try this combo and see for ourselves what happens. Maybe feed our hubby's halwa in slow motion and then violins will start playing and rose petals will fall from the ceiling. :) I need some halwa... I'm going to the Indian grocery story tomorrow and I'm going to look for it!! Sometimes they have fresh jalebi.... I'm going to request for some halwa. I love the kind with pistachios in it.... yummm

9. saipavani123

saipavani123 Silver IL'ite

Ohh okay ..thanks :) . I knew meaning of panneru(scented water) and I knew roja (rose ).... but I did not know that there exists this variety of rose. Will surely try it when I get it here :) ..
    haha yeah true :)

10. kma

kma Gold IL'ite

LOL . I think we are all preconditioned to somethings by environment around us.We associate somethings with romance automatically. For many Indians, the concept of wine and chocolates is new. I have seen on telly how asparagus, oysters etc are aphrodisiacs. I think this applies to most of us Indians that we have not heard of them much. Different people, different strokes.

PS: If you are curious how this works, may be you can see some wedding night scenes in Indian movies. They are very educational.:rotfl:rotfl

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010