Karnataka Recipes

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by rehanak, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hello Malathy,

Thanks for taking the trouble to post these links. Indeed I have been thru all of them, tried them and find them really delicious.

I am looking for a particular recipe of BBB as made by Mandyam Iyengars and that is what I meant when I asked PadmaIyengar. I did not want to use the parochial term. That was not to insinuate that none of these other recipes posted by MrsCV,Prathi or Krishnamma are not authentic.

Thanks again for this post.

regards
    Vidya

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Hello Vidya24,
    I have a recipe of BBB given to me by a Mandyam Iyengar friend. I have never tried it. If you are interested, I can post it for you.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hello MrsChitVish,

Thank you for the offer. Yes, would be interested in checking out the recipe.

4. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hi Priya,

Sorry for the delay in giving this Mangalore racecurry recipe. I got it over phone, will get back with accurate measures sooner than later.

Cut raw banana into thick, long strips (as for avial, thivk juliennes). Keep in a bowl of cold water mixed with a spoon of yogurt.

For grinding- aboout one teaspoon each of four dals- urad dal, toor dal, channa dal, yellow moong dal. Roast each separately in one tsp oil.

Also roast in oil, one after other a tsp of methi seeds, red chillies to taste, whole peppercorns. Finally roast a spoon of dhania seeds.

Cool everything, grind with a liberal amount of coconut, very fine. Can add water to facilitate grinding.

Heat oil, temper mustard, curry leaves, add raw banana. Saute a few minutes with salt and turmeric powder. Cook in tamarind water. When fully cooked, and raw smell of tamarind is gone, add ground mix. Let it boil a couple of minutes. If desired, finish with a small lump of jaggery (optional).

5. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Bisibelabhath:
    The vegetables used are beans, ashgourd, potato, banana, sweet potato, red pumpkin.
    Cook, 1 cup each of rice & dhal, besides cubed vegetables, all individually.
    For the masala, fry in little oil, cinnamon 1”, 4-5 red chillies, ½ tsp each of gram dhal & khuskhus, 1 tbsp each of dhaniya and urad dhal, a pinch each of jeera & methi seeds.
    Powder coarse. Grind this to a paste with 2 tbsp coconut.
    Temper oil in a vessel adding red chillies, mustard seeds, hing & then add 2-3 tsp tamarind paste, cooked dhal, boiled vegetables, salt & the paste. A little jaggery is optional. Simmer to boil & cook till nice aroma comes.
    This is mixed with sambhar. I am told, they normally add kuzambu vadam to this.

Incase you try, let me know. I will post it with photo, if it is different & worth, as per your feedback.Thanks a ton.
    Regards,
    Chithra.

6. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Mrs ChitVish,

Thank you for posting the BBB as made by Mandyam cooks. I made it last night and it was quite good. Did not add beans or vadam.

The recipe is good and worth posting. I am not sure if it is very different from the other tastes, but is a gentler taste on the palate.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2007
  7. enjoylife

enjoylife New IL'ite

Mango Sasav South Indian

Sasav meaning, 'mustard seeds' in Konkani, is the main flavouring ingredients for this tantalizing sweet and sour mango dish. Traditionally, small, whole mangoes are used. You may, however, use diced mangoes (like I have done) if you prefer.

Cooking Time : 10 mins.
    Preparation Time : 10 mins.

Serves 4.
    <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="80%"><tbody><tr><td>Ingredients
    </td></tr><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="5" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">2 cup ripe mangoes, peeled and diced</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">1 cup fresh coconut, grated</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">1½ teaspoons chilli powder</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">1½ teaspoons tamarind (imli) pulp</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">7 to 8 black peppercorns</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">2 teaspoons jaggery (gur)</td></tr><tr><td valign="top" width="15%">
    </td><td width="85%">salt to taste</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td>Method
    </td></tr><tr><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="3" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"></tr><tr><td valign="top">1.</td><td width="93%">Dry roast the mustard seeds in a pan till they crackle.
    </td></tr><tr valign="top"></tr><tr><td valign="top">2.</td><td width="93%">Grind together all the ingredients except the mango pieces with ½ cup water to make a paste.
    </td></tr><tr valign="top"></tr><tr><td valign="top">3.</td><td width="93%">Pour the mixture into a pan and bring to a boil.
    </td></tr><tr valign="top"></tr><tr><td valign="top">4.</td><td width="93%">Add the jaggery, salt and mango pieces and simmer for 2 minutes.
    </td></tr><tr valign="top"></tr><tr><td valign="top">5.</td><td width="93%">Serve hot with steamed rice.
    </td></tr></tbody></table> </td></tr></tbody></table>

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Prathi,

Just tried the yenebadnekai (ground) today. It was very yummy and a big hit. Ellarigu bahala ishta aythu.:hatsoff:hatsoff:hatsoff

Jolada roti recipe iddhare dayavittu post madi. Idhu madodhu bahala kashtana?

9. tsseethalakshmi

tsseethalakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Re: Karnataka Recipes bithukku bhele

This recipes leaned from my Bangalore friend.

Mochaikkai bithukku paruppu 1 kg
    red chilli 10 remove the seeds
    coriander seeds 2 tbs
    fenugreek 1 tsp
    mustard 1 tsp
    Jeera 2 tsp
    black pepper 5 to 6
    big onion 1 show it in live fire when it toned remove black skin
    copra 1/4 copra do it as onion
    big onion 3 cut small pieces
    cuscus 1 tbs
    frsh coconut grated 2 tbs
    tomato 2 cut into small pieces
    tamarind [optional] to taste
    salt to taste
    ghee 1 tsp
    temper
    mustard 1 tsp
    red chilli 2
    curry leave

red chilli,coriander, fry in oil.Mustard,fenugreek,jeera dry fry.Grind all and add fried onion grind them as paste. copra,cuscus and fresh coconut grind seperate.keep aside.
    pore oil in a pan put mustard when cracked add red chilli and curry leave.Remove the chilli.keep aside,add cut onion get half toned.add ground masalas,cook in low flame.Now add bithukku bhele fry for some time.In another stove boil 4 or 5 cup water.
    Add tomato pieces in the boiling masala cook well.Add salt,tamarind and boiling water,let it boil for some time take care the bithukku bhele should not broken and meshy.Add copra masala mix well and let it one or two boil.Add one spoon ghee and mix well remove from fire.In the top put red chilli removed and decorate the bhithukku Bhele.Well go with chappathi,thosa, rice every thing.

10. ctindia

ctindia New IL'ite

Hi... I love the raggi mudde with chana curry my Thoda amma (my mother's sister) used to make. I miss her cooking much. She was such a great cook. My mother is a good cook too, but some recipes were Thoda amma special.

Hey, by the way does someone know how to make Davangere Benne Dose? That's where my Thoda amma lived.

Also, she used to make some kind of spicy pickle that she called "Karandi". It was some kind of green chilli base with lot of different types of vegetables (beans, carrots were common) added to it. I don't think it had long shelf life. At a time, she made only one big horlicks bottle worth (unlike her huge porclein pots of mango pickles)! Does some one have recipes for these two dishes, please?

I will be so thrilled.