karnataka bans mobile phones for children under 16

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Shanvy, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

Just now was watching news...and it looks like karnataka has banned mobile phones

REason that the use of mobiles is of risk to certain groups.. mobile phones was harmful to their health and a nuisance in classrooms.

all educational institutions right up to pre-university colleges would be asked to implement the ban. The ban would also be implemented in schools affiliated to CBSE and ICSE.

school authorities would be asked to confiscate mobile handsets found in possession of students in schools and they would not be returned.

The government would also seek the cooperation of parents to ensure that their children do not use mobile phones even at homes in the interest of their wards, they said.

So what do you think...as a parent is the ban justified..or were you feeling safer when you knew that your child has a mobile with which he/she can call you....

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Each and every invention has its pros and cons.In case of cell phones, I think it is too much for the school children to have one.In case of emergency, you can use it. As long as they are in the school, school authorities take care of any situation. I think it is better to switch off the cell phone during school hours and switch on after the school hours! this is what my daughters do here.I support the ban if they have a provision to return the cell phones after the school or college hours and ask the student to switch off the cell phone, otherwise.Sriniketan

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi sriniketan,
    school authorities would be asked to confiscate mobile handsets found in possession of students in schools and they would not be returned.

I feel let the schools install pay phones..either coin/card...and outside schools it is the parents...wish....

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

I think that is a good idea, Shanthi.sriniketan

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

I think that is a good start from the government.In our days,did we have cell phones when we were students. If there was a necessity to call home,we would go to a STD booth or something and make a call. If the people at home wanted to contact us,they would either come over directly or call the school.It worked then,isn't it,why won't it work now?

These days you find most kids hooked to the cell phone all the time.If not the cell phone,it is the Ipod.Don't tell me they have so many important calls to make at their age that they just have to have a cell phone all the time. It has been proven scientifically too that the radiation from the cell phone is quite harmful.Only if the government brings about such a rule,will the students follow it strictly.:-D

6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

I agree with Sunitha. We grew up without these gadgets. If there was a problem at school, we simply went to the School's Admin Office and called home from there. Why do school going children need cell phones? Maybe I come from an old school of thought. Talking on Cell phones have become an addiction to some. The phones are stuck to their ears and there is no rest for the mouth.:shaking:

There are also status wars with these phones. I have cousins who want a new model of the phone every other month just because someone in their class owns a new model. And some parents also seem to be ready to caress this status culture.

This is a good step by the Government of Karnataka.

7. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Yes dear Shanvy,

The news that Karnataka bans Mobiles for Children needs to be reviewed.

There are always both plus and minus factors to have the mobile, the order could have been amended as the cell phones will not be allowed inside the class rooms and during school hours it has to be switched off stricktly.

As there are families in which both parents working, kids goes to school , then to tution centres and returns back home late, the communications between parent and kids are more important to know about the situations.

The Mobile should be of ordinary models and no more camera, MP3 and costlier sets should be handled by kids when it is being carried during school days.

It can be operated during lunch break, and after school timings.

Subbu

8. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

How many students strictly use the cell phones only to contact home and give information about their whereabouts? Unfortunately,it will be a very small number only. The misuse is always more and that is why the government is considering the ban,I presume.

9. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

I feel it is a very sensible move... Only will it be practised?

Parents' co operation is mandatory for the effectiveness of this new rule... If enforced, one distraction less for our under 16s....

10. sugarnspice

sugarnspice Bronze IL'ite

I agree with the ban, but reading the discussion, I was reminded of my father in law, when my daughter was little, we were staying with them in the middle of summer, it was really hot, and when I switched on the ac, he said we grew up without all these things, when my daughter asks to watch cartoons, (he watches sports) he says, when I was growing up we did not have TV!

No offence meant to anyone! :)