1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Karate Class Issues

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by wings2010, Jul 13, 2018.

1. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

I enrolled my kid in karate class which is happening in our apartment. Master is having a punch bat. He always beat my son n another kid with that bat.he scolds severely for not performing steps correctly. Even other younger kids are doing same but he is not minding them. My kid really feels bad n about to weep. He is telling am not interested to go . Ladies pls let me help taking right decision. What I told him..was..see ppl won't be soft n caring always. They ll be hard. U have to face it. Do the steps right.more over he is not your English teacher to say softly. Karate means fight,little harder. Etc n convinced for today's evening class.
    Ladies pls help me...whether all karate classes will be like this? We r new to tat part. I feel some unfortable in my heart.

2. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Op,
    How old is your child? How long has he been in the class? Can you hang around in the class?
    How is your child - on average more sensitive than other kids/ more mischievous?
    Do you get to speak to the Karate master? Have you hinted, directly spoken to him regarding this issue? What was and what is your gauge of him now?
    Some teachers push because they feel the child has more potential, some are just harsh by nature, some are petty and show partiality .

You did a darn good job in giving the pep talk to your son - you even managed to convince him!!. He also needs to know that you talk to the teacher , and you are right behind him to support him.

Check with the teacher if there are some exercises he can practice at home to help him. For sports like this one needs to be very disciplined, so I would try that if I feel my son would benefit from the discipline.

While a lot depends on the above factors - on the whole I will not be inclined to send my kid if I feel the teacher is hurting his confidence. The child needs to respect the teacher not fear or hate him.

sindmani likes this.
  3. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Nothing is important than your kid. Change the Karate school, don't send the kid to that instructor.

When my son was little, he used to complain about his piano class, as did not want to go. Eventually, he told me that teacher pinched him hardly because he didn't play correctly.

So, listen to your kid.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Karate is a martial art form. It does not mean fighting.and please do not tell your son that. Initial classes are learning bresthing techniques and forms like kata,kihon and kumite. And the master needs more patient.

If you think he is picking out the two kids alone you need to think again.

No the master does not need to use the punch bat on the kids.
    Atleast masters who taught my kids did not.
    And this training should make your son feel good and confident about himself and if it is not working, this teacher is not working for your son.

signature and sindmani like this.
  5. OneLifeToLive

OneLifeToLive New IL'ite

I completely agree with Poovai. Find a different place to send your child. Your child came to you and asked for your help in dealing with a difficult situation , but you asked him to go back and endure the same thing . Just imagine your child facing such situations in all the classes he goes to - be it school or music class or art class or whatever. Is he supposed to get beaten everywhere and accept it as normal?

My two kids hold Black belts in Martial arts (earned over 6-7 years) and not once have I seen or heard of them or any other kids being hit or beaten.

6. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am very surprised to read this. We've tried about 4-5 karate and taekwondo instructors. They have strict rules about how to behave in class, the use of arms, fist, feet and for sparring. Teacher using any kind of bat on a child is very strange for a martial arts class, IMO.

Stop the class and make an appointment with the instructor to talk with him about his behavior. Do not send back child to this class no matter what. Talk with child at a suitable time, and tell him that you are sorry you didn't pay more attention to what he said. And that he can and should always come to you and/or dad if any adult bothers him in any way. Above all extracurricular activities, it is important that child have the confidence that mom and dad will listen to him when he comes with a complaint of this kind.

Instructor scolding severely is more ignore-able. Some instructors are like that. But, if one or two kids are being singled out, it is not right. Again, just pull out the child from the class. In such situations, there is no point in going back. Such instructors rarely change their ways.

Laks09, kkrish and justanothergirl like this.
  7. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Stop immediately. This is not common and in fact the first time I am hearing of something like this. Anytime a child protests to go to school or an after school activity dig deep and in my exp 99% of the time the child is justified.

Laks09, kkrish and Rihana like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Pull the child out immediately.

My younger son was also treated very badly by his Karate instructor.
    He was so eager to learn Karate when he was eight and his teacher ruined the whole experience for him.
    He never wanted to go to another class.

9. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

I learnt Karate as a kid.
    I am planning to send my kids to Karate.
    Though I really appreciate you giving a pep talk to your child, I want to correct you a little bit. My heartfelt apologies if it hurts you.

Karate doesn't mean fight..it means learning to be confident in handling any situation where self defence matters.
    By hitting and scolding your child, the master is making your child lose confidence, forget teaching to be confident.
    Kids should not be forced to learn anything from an elder who hurts their tender hearts and budding confidence levels. There is a danger that the child grows very sad and scared of exploring newer activities.

Please have a serious chat with the master.

10. wings2010

wings2010 Senior IL'ite

Yes ladies. I totally agree. I don't want to spoil his confidence. I stopped him. He had similar type of experience in swimming earlier. I stopped him. I understand it's not right places for him but am afraid whether he will hate of any sport after these bad experiences. thank you all for valuable suggestions. I really don't have much experience with people as well kids. Was left alone and don't know what n how to deal with this. You all helped me to deal .My son told he don't want to try any other karate class too. I feel I should not force him .