karadayan nonbu

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by kanaka Raghavan, Mar 13, 2007.

1. sujakalyan

sujakalyan Silver IL'ite

oh chitvish mam,

thanks a lot
    i was thinking to chk adai receipe in our site
    feel fortunate that you've posted is specially here
    thanks once againBow

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

Kaaradaiyan Nonbhu

Observed in India, on Friday March 14, 2008, between 7.30 - 8.30 A.M. Almost the exact time which is Meena Sankramanam when the month of Panguni interfaces with the month of Maasi. This one hour is the most auspicious time to tie the Kaaradaiyan Nombhu Charadu as a Mangalyasuthram for seeking longevity of one's husband. Because according to Hindu customs and tradition, it is on the longevity of a spouse, a woman is considered a Sumangali.
    The timing in USA : Thursday March 13, 2008 between 11.25 PM -12.15 AM [midnight / early morning next day] East Coast Time.
    [​IMG]
    Image courtesy :
    http://tinyurl.com/3cvhl3

Urukkatha Vennayum Oradayum Nan Thanthen
    Orukalum En Kanavan Ennaivittu Piriyathirukkanam
    The meaning is I am offering you one adai, with butter, and I beseech you to grant me Dheergasumangalithvam. In other words. both me and my husband should live forever together.
    After saying this, one ties around one's neck, the dipped in the turmeric paste, Nombhu Charadu standing before the family deity and then prostrating. The neivedhyam consists of one sweet adai, some butter, bananas, betel leaves, betel nuts, flowers and the yellow / vermillion coloured Nonbhu Charadu.
    This ritual over the married ladies prostrate before their husband and take his blessings, which is the usual "Dheerga Sumangali Bhava". They then partake the Prasadam, and later distribute it to their men folk.
    Along with the Vellam Adai, some Uppadai are aslo made, to relish eating of the former. Apart from butter, a very good side dish is Mango pickle freshly prepared with not much of red chillies.

Vellam = Jaggery. Uppu = Salt.

I must stress here that this Kaaradaiyan Nonbhu is not a Vaidhika Karma or a Vratam in the strict sense of the term. It is more a Lowkeegam than Vaidheegam. If one is firm in one's faith that nothing untoward is going to happen to one's spouse, one need not perform this ritual. But then tradition enjoins all our females (married and un-married) to follow these rituals ? so that they will not be ridiculed by their neighbours, apart from getting a good husband, if the lady is a virgin and unmarried and for the married Pazhutha Sumangalis a togetherness with their spouses, for days to come.
    [​IMG]
    Sri Mahalakshmi.

Image courtesy : www.vydic.org/pages/lord_lakshmi.htm
    There is a beautiful slokam in the Sri Lakshmi Sahasram, which is as follows.

Kanye Dhugdhodanvatas-Thavakeenam
    Manye Roopam Mangalam Mangalanam |
    Yath-Saarnya-Praptha-Bhadra Haridhra
    Soumangalyam Samvidhatthee Vadhunam ||

Here the meaning is so esoteric, one reading makes you ecstatic.
    Her visage is Mangalanaam Mangalam ( Most auspicous among all
    auspicious roopams ). Dheerga Soumangalyam is requested as a boon
    from Her,( Sri Mahalakshmi) who arose out of the Milky Ocean.

She is addressed here as Haridhra which is the name of Manjal ( Turmeric).
    One definition of Haridhra is " Harim Dhravayathi ithi Haridhra " . One who melts the mind of Her Lord (Dhravayathi) with Her charm and Vaseekarana Sakthi. And she is the Lady saluted as Haridhra. She makes the Lord's heart and mind melt so that He overlooks our sins and forgives us and accepts Her pleading on our behalf. The purpose here is to gain Dheerga Sumangalithvam and this is an appropriate prayer to Her on Kaaradaiyan Nonbhu Day.

The Significance of Kaaradaiyan Nonbu:
    Requesting sowbhagyam and mangalya pitchai for a long term. The request is to the Goddess Sri Mahalakshmi by fasting from early morning without taking even water, and chanting known slogas and stotras. The wait is till the time of Sankramanam (refer to above) just before the birth of Panguni Maasam. Then the nonbhu is completed by doing the Lakshmi Puja and the offering of the neivedhyams specially prepared for the occasion.
    The village elders in Tamilnadu have a very meaningful saying in Tamil. "Masi Kayiru Paasi Padarum" meaning the thread worn in the month of Maasi will stay for a long time. Probably this is one reason, why Upanayanams are held in the month of Maasi.
    This word Kaaradaiyan must be having a meaning of its own. For a very long time I have not been able to decipher its meaning. But Sriman Vaasu Vadhyar Swamy who has been kind enough to give the above explanation for the Nonbhu has a suggestion. In Tamil, "Ampadayaan" refers to a woman's husband, among the Brahmin community and 'Kaar' could mean 'Karam' meaning hands which are used to protect one. So Kaaradaiyan [Kar'am' + Ampadayaan] = Kaaradaiyan Nonbhu is a request placed before Goddess Mahalakshmi by the woman devotee for her "abhaya hastham" to protect the woman's husband.
    Of course the traditional practice has been to observe this ritual in memory of Savitri, who saved her husband Satyavan from the clutches of Yama, the God of Death. "That story best exemplifies the love and devotion Savitri had towards Satyavan." That the story of Satyavan-Savitri is a myth can be guessed by a reading of the Mahabharatha. The myth occurs in "The Book of the Forest" of the Mahabharata, as a multiple embedded narrative told most elequently, by Markandeya. When Yudhisthira asks Markandeya whether there has ever been a woman whose devotion matched Draupadi’s, Markandeya replies by relating this myth". Source: The Mahabharata vol. 2, tr. J.A.B. van Buitenen (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1975)
    Whether myth or not, what is of import to us is the parting gift of Yama, the Dharma Raja, the God of Death to Savitri : " Peerless amongst women, is the brave heart that follows the husband even into the grave and recovers his life from Yama himself. Thus do Gods love to win defeat at the hands of mortals".
    But why this accolade to Savitri? Because, Savitri was determined to win her husband at all costs. She used her persuasive skills with the Dharma Raja which put Him in a quandary. As God of Death, He could not give up the dead. And as God of Truth, how could He urge Savitri to be untrue? After all, He had given her a boon that she would have many a sons, without realizing that He was holding the soul of Satyavan in his noose, the Paasa Kayiru. And since a widow does not remarry[at least, in those times] He was honour bound, to untie the noose and release the soul of Satyavan, which entered his lifeless body and Satyavan arose as if from a deep sleep.
    Satyameva Jayate : Mantra 3.1.6 from the Mundaka Upanishad.
    Satyameva jayate naanritam satyena pantha vitato devayanah yenaa

Kramantyarishayo hyaaptakaamaa yatra tat satyasya paramam nidhaanam.

Meaning:
    Truth Alone Triumphs and not Untruth. By Truth, divine way is pervaded on which, Sages of yore fulfilled their desires to attain the supreme truth.
    "The Tale of Satyavan and Savitri is recited in the Mahabharata as a story of conjugal love conquering death. But this legend is, as shown by many features of the human tale, one of the many symbolic myths of the Vedic Cycle. Satyavan is the soul carrying the Divine Truth of being within itself but descended into the grip of death and ignorance; Savitri is the Divine Word, daughter of the Sun, Goddess of the Supreme Truth who comes down and is born to save" - from Sri Aurobindo's magnum opus - Savitri - A Legend and a Symbol, in 24,000 verses.

by my friend
    vaidyanathan pushpagiri

1 person likes this.
  3. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

so is it like we have tie the sardu at mid night....can someone throw light ...like how would one perform the rituals in US?

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Sunkan for the information..

Shravanthika,
    I usually follow the IST time, if it is 7.30 --- 8.30 AM in India , I will do at 7.30--- 8.30 AM in US, on Friday this time..
    Hope i cleared your doubt in some way...

sriniketan

5. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunkan,
    Thank you for the information.

regards,

6. shravanthika

Sriniketan,
    It so happens u happen to answer my queries first...(this is the 2nd time).Thanks for clearing my doubt...I used to do the same thing for every other viratham...

So if possible ..can you elaborate on how u do the pooja...dos and donts...please......

7. Ramya2912

Ramya2912 Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

Please can someone tell at what is the time for to tie sarda in singapore.

Thanks
    Ramya

8. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Ramya,
    If you see the answer to Shravanthika, i think the same applies to you also.
    as it is said that between 7.30--8.30 AM in India, follow the same time that is 7.30-8.30AM, on Friday in singapore.

shravanthika,
    Did you notice what Sunkan has described. this is exactly how we do...

sriniketan

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  9. shravanthika

Thanks a lot Sriniketan...I noted it down

10. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi sunkan,

thanks a lot for elaborating the "Nonbu" rituals.