1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kambar Again - Will You Welcome Him? I am Not Sure!

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Feb 3, 2007.

1. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

Actually I do not know what to write here. I was silently watching the responses here. My knowledge about Sita and Rama is limited.
    When I was a child , I was sad thinking about Sita's state when Rama deserted her. Even though he has to accept his people's words, he should have thought about the hardships she suffered for him.
    have read this , the words of Bina Agarwal , but actually I had it in mind.
    Your brother-in-law,
    so quick to anger
    on his brother's behalf, left you,
    mother-to-be,
    alone in the dark forest,
    exiled again.
    His brother's command!
    some citizen's demand!
    was injustice to you
    not worthy of his anger?
    you, loving sister-in-law,
    bore this too is silence
    and let him go away.

2. radha_chennai

radha_chennai New IL'ite

I agree with you Mr.varalotti. There are many women who sacrifice their lives looking after in-laws and family .Sadly they are the unsung lot in their households. Sita showing grief in such a way makes her more human and lets the reader connect to her emotionally.
    radha

3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Dear Varalotti

The "Guhanodum Aivaraanom" amazes me everytime I read/hear it. Such economy of words ! No beating around the bush, no extra baggage. I love it when poets/writers are like the edge of a diamond - precise, sharp and to the point. Elaboration is left to the reader, so (s)he can also participate in the making of the imagery with his own supplies. Thats magnanimous of Kamban indeed.

More such examples please.

Regards from
    Manjula-without-microscope

4. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

When I first read the two verses, I have to say I totally agreed with all the other ladies about Sita. In fact she being the incarnation of Mahalakshmi herself could have turned Ravana into ashes with just one look.

After reading your response to the other ladies I have to say that you have persuaded me. I do agree with you that many women in India stand behind their husbands out of love and respect.

The second verse about sociality brings back memories for me. Most of us have read this in school. Your translation for the poem is amazing. Appa purinchatha vida ippa nalla puriyuthu..... thanks again.

Thankyou for another scintillating post.

Regards,
    Jothi.

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,

Yes you have more than compensate with your explanation and another beatuiful verse in your reply. Yes many women do stand behind their husbands and lend their support to the ensure their spouses success. So Your explanation makes sense.
    And of course Anjeneyar being my most favorite god, the third verse fills me with joy.

Vandhana

6. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Re: Be sure, ILites will welcome both Kambar & you, Varalotti

Hello Varalotti,

First of all thanks to you to bring Kambar's verses amongst us. Your thread rekindled my school days. I thought gone are those days that I enjoyed reading those beautiful tamil verses (seyyul) with the meanings (vilaka vurai) written in pencil in between the lines. But you have brought them back. This time I am so happy for not being in an urgency to write down the meanings, since you enlighten with your beautiful translations and explanations.

If I had had this site running during my school days, I would have been the topper in Tamil poetry with all your wonderful explanations to the verses.

If I had read your thread as soon as you made the 1st post, I am sure to have joined the crowd here to show my dissatisfaction for having chosen a verse that portrays Sita weak. But I read the thread with your explanation in the subsequent posts about why Sita inspite of being powerful waited for Rama. Your wonderful comparison of today's women CEOs & GMs standing behind their husbands inspite of all their independence, made me feel proud belonging to this women gender. Hats off to you for such an explanation that it is not Sita's weakenss, but it is her love that is being exhibited in that verse.

Dear ILites,

Some of you have asked why did Varalotti choose among so many that particular verse portraying Sita sad/weak as the first one for this thread. That's the secret of (Vambukara) Varalotti. He wants all ILites to read and participate in his thread. So when can he get max participation? Only when he kindles the feminine feelings of us. If not for appreciations, won't we all participate to atleast to show our oppositions?

I am happy that all of us are able to enjoy Kambar's verses through Varalotti's writings.

PS: Sir, please do not take offense on calling you "Vambu". I wrote very much on the lighter side of it.

Malathy

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  7. vidhi

vidhi Senior IL'ite

Dear Varalotti Sir

Again a very nice post from you again. It was even nice to read the replies to the post and your replies to them.

I remembered our malayalam teacher here. Once she asked the class Is Rama a good person or a bad person? we all said he was a good person. But she questioned us and started to pin point the weakness of Rama(weakness as a son,brother,husband) She described in such a manner that we all did not know what to reply. So she repeated the question again. This time some of the students accepted her view. To our surprise she smiled and started portraying the same weakness as the strengths of Rama. And now after finishing she again asked the same question but before someone could answer the bell rang and we all left the class.

regards
    vidhi

8. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

And Now To Bharatiyar!

Most Gracious ILites,

Pardon me for the delay in response. With my time management system, I have decided to reply to all your posts by the week-end. Meanwhile let's go ahead with the posts.

This week it's Bharati who's coming to your house.

Welcome him with open hands, and more importantly, open minds.

And give your views too.

Always yours in love and affection,
    Varalotti

9. varalotti

Thanks Usha!

Dear Usha,
    Thanks for invoking Rama's blessings on my behalf. And thanks for the kind words you have about my posts on Ramayana.
    As you could see from the subsequent development of this thread, Sita languishing in captivity, waiting for Rama, when she had the power to annihilate a million Ravanas, is her greatest show of strength.
    Well, will post some more poems on Sitas captivity describing her poise.
    regards,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Vidya, It is actually Woman upwomanship here!

Vidya,

First thanks for the enthusiastic participation. Sita, containing within herself, powers sufficient enough to burn down a thousand Lankas, Ravanas included, languishing in that state, is her greatest strength.

Vidya, I do not define strength as merely oneupmanship or being always in control. Love, to me is the greatest strength. And Sita excels in that.

I had a wonderful Tamil teacher in school who drilled down the meaning of the second verse into me and his efforts have today come out as my translation. May he be blessed.

Bharatis Sakthi - already done.
    regards,
    varalotti