1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Kamalji's Teachers - Wonderful and kind

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji's Teachers - Wonderful and Kind​

I studied all the years of School at "Our Lady of Perpectual Succour High School",Chembur,Mumbai.We used to start from KG, to the first.We did not have these preps,that they have now.And matric was 11th Std.So we had 12 years of studying in the same school.Iread somewhere that Anil Kapoor and Boney also studied there,so i was in August company i suppose, though i never met them.

My expierence with teachers was very good.No dont get me wrong,I never flirted with them, i was a kiddie,and i am ashamed they saw me in nickers.What a sight i must hve been.In the 8th, we had Mrs.Saldhana, our Chemistry teacher.She taught us how to remember Valencies of the elements,as these used to fox me.I still remember most of them,and taught my daughters.

She taught us how to do the chemical reactions between two compounds,and how to balance the equations, so well, i used to get most of them right.For example NaCl + Mg0 .This is how she explained to us.A compound has a metal and a non metal.The first is the metal ( Na ), clorine is the non metal (cl).Same is the case with Mg0.Assume the metal is the husband and nonmetal the wife.

The husband of the first compound will run away with the wife of the second compound,and vice versa, and lo ! we have the equation ready.We were small, but we were laughing at her explanations.And it stuck in our heads.So i was decent in Chemistry.Once i was sick,and missed school for a few days.I went to her house,and she explained to me what i had missed,free fo charge,and gave me tea and biscuits.How the hell can i ever forget it,looking at most of the teachers today,she was a gem.God bless her.

Mr.Acharya, our Maths teacher, was a 40 year old bachelor,sauve,smart,well dressed, like Motilal the actor.He was too good in Maths,and i still today remember all the geometry and algebra formulas, thanks to him.And when we used to have off periods, most of the times he used to come and tell us stories of English movies that he had seen.He was the best story teller we ever met.And not one student used to miss his classes.

Another Hindi Sir, Suresh Sir we used to call him,used to tell us " In Bombay people commit sins for 6 days, and on the 7th, go and feed cows 2 rupees worth of grass, and say, Mother Cow, please forgive my sins, and come back thinking his sins were washed,and back to his old evil ways !

The Principal,Father Mcgrath,was with us all the 12 years of school.On the healthy side, wearing a white robe,an English man,was a very jolly good chap.If we were late,or wore no tie or badge,well,a few whacks with the cane, first on the knukles,and sometimes on the bums,well was enough to put the scare of the devil in us.But he was very sympathatic too_Once he hit my knuckles hard,and i cried in pain.He immediatly came and hugged me, and applied ointment on my knuckles and gently explained to me,that he has to be strict,to enforce discipline,and i found no reason to disagree with him.Every year he used to hold a football match in the grounds,between the teachers and the students and to see him in knickers and running around,used to be fun.And in our off periods, we could take the football from the office and play in the grounds.Once we complained that the football was worn off, and the next day we got the new one.Whata man !

When in college,I joined Aggarwal Classes at Dadar,they are still there, I saw them recently.Mr.Aggarwal, was one of the lousiest techers that i ever came across.He taught us calculus,and his opening line used to be " Those of u who dont want to attend my lecture, can leave and go smoke a ciggarette,i will mark u present.But while u are here, keep quiet."Half the class used to walk off, but i used to remain,as i found him a unique character,and wonder from where he hired the other wonderful teachers.He was the one who encouraged bnsal of Bansal Classes, to start his classes in Kota in the eighties or ninties

Aggarwal classes had other wonderful teachers, like Mr.Kharkhanis, who taught us Algebra,and a Baldie, name i dont know who taught us Trignometry.So simply he explained Trigo,that it is based on the Right Angle Triangle, sine = opp side upon hypotenuse,cos equals adjacent side upen hyp, tan is sine upen cos, or opp side on adjacent side.That first lecture of his was enough to make me an expert in Trigo,and when i am bored i still solve Trigo sums even today,i just love it.

There was romance too.Melba our English teacher,mini skirt,sexy,that husky voice,fell in love with another teacher Mr.Raymonds,and they married.She was one that i found real good looking.And June, what a name,stayed a few lanes away from our house in Chembur,and i used to dream about her,me sitting by her side,and having tea together.Nothing else really.what can u expect of a 5th std boy, of those days !

Today things have changed for the worse,most of the teachers want u to take tutions,and i heard that 200 per hour is the norm in mumbai.My daughters never took tutions,i too used to help them in maths,chemistry and physics,and with my corny jokes make the subjects a little palatable for them.

Im sure Anil Kapoor too must have learnt good chemistry from Mrs.Saldhana, as i see he has a good chemistry with his producers like Subhash Ghai, and others who keep repeating him in their movies.So guys and gals it pays to learn Chemistry.Thank you for bearing me with , this long boring story of teachers.Most of u must have fallen to sleep, never mind,I end it here.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    That was a very warm journey through your school days. Mrs. Saldanha's teaching of Chemistry was indeed unique. I never learnt chemistry that way and my chemistry was taught by such a rigid person who would not run away with his own wife. For him, teaching chemistry that way would be sacrilege!

Motilal was my favourite hero. I still remember a comedy thriller titled Ek, Do, Theen starring him and Meena Shorey. The other fav of mine was Balraj Sahni and I can never forget his film, Kath Putli!

Anil Kapoor has indeed good chemistry with his producers! But let me tell you that I was very weak in chemistry but my chemistry with all those I had encountered was always top class!
    Sri

3. preethi27

preethi27 Senior IL'ite

Hello,

It was really good not boring. Hope U R satisfied after sharing Ur school & college days golden experience. Actually, to be more frank, now, I am thinking of my past experience in school & college. Thanks for that. Do share Ur experience with all of us.

Preethi

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

I can see yr chemistry with the I lites here, and i am sure it must be good with everyone u meet.

So i dont need to teach u any book chemistry, but u need to teach me some real life chemistry:)

Yes Balraj Sahni i loved him in the song " Tu Pyar ka Sagar Hai, and in the movie Waqt.Motilal in Anari, was just too good.You and me have similar tastes Sri.:)

Thanks for yr kind comments.Regards.kamal

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Preeti,

Yes it was fun,and i would like you to share yr expierences, good or bad with all I lites.I wish and hope others too will share their expierences of teachers, childhood friends,of what games they played, pranks,what marks they got, what were they good at, and what is the differences then and now.

Thanks and regards.kamal

6. mithili

mithili New IL'ite

OOH! i understand the chemistry now...our class boys used to laugh and giggle whenever our te4achers who were young, then ,used to enter the room for lecture...i never understood wht made them gigle so much abou tthem..was there any problem with the way of dressing...oo sdo th echemisry workign liek this..i cannt beleive students dreaming of their teachers so romantically..still can't...but tht is where the fun is... making it true of being a gud student to a beautiful mam....got that...we used to be great fans of physics lecturer prof parathaasrthy..he used ot be really strict but always had a soft corner fro all the gals..and there were rumours of he bing involved with our sanskrit mam...cudnt believe until it was true...chemistry again...but our cehmistry lectures was really boring man..we never understood wht equations he taught...it never used to saty in our heads....

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi kamalji,

Schooling was in a convent. too strict. you cant talk in your mother tongue unless it is the language class. But still loved school. It has taught me discipline.

My chemistry teacher was also my english teacher.. i used to wonder what a combo.. but as you said, I still can teach my kids..from what was taught so long ago...I hope I can manage doing that for quite some time.

I for one have never gone for a tution. today tutions in chennai you have to pay in the starting of the academic year. i think it ranges from 10kto25k for science subjects..:mad:

You have brought back memories of my dedicated sisters who used to teach us..be it english, embroidery or knitting..

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Mithiliji,

Well yr preofessors were really interesting eh ! I mean interested in lady teachers.HAHA.

Romance goes on even in schools among teachers.But they should teach the subjects well to students.These days they justteach and go away, wioth out bothering to see that the students have understood it.

Thanks for yr kind comments.Regards.kamal

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Shanti

So expensive are tutions , u mean 10000 to 25000 per year.Wow.Jaipur is relativley chea[per.

You must be remembering yr sisters so often.Why dont u, and all others here write about their school and college days, and which teachers u liked and which u didnt.It will be fun with everyone coming out with their stories.

thanks and regards.kamal

10. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Kamalji,
    Your account of your teachers brought to mind my chemistry teacher who was very bitter about her husband's death and gave us such a hard time always. It was not my favourite subject and she being the teacher made it even more diificult. But when I met her after many years she seemed to have sobered down so much. My juniors were lucky!!!!!!!!
    Poor mmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!