Kamala Harris

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Rihana, Nov 8, 2020.

1. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I don’t think so. Attending a HBU in 1982 with having a biracial identity must have been hard. I bet the historically black sorority members weren’t as aware of Indians back then as they are today. I have family who went to schools in the US in the late 70s and early 80s. Their classmates chanted “hoo hoo hoo” while passing their homes because “Indian” back then was still American Indians. It was probably easier to not bring up her Indian heritage back then. I know my family let people think they were Hispanics from Mexico because it was just easier.

How things have changed in 40 years! Here we are in suburban communities celebrating Diwali with lights in early November and nobody bats an eyelid. Neighbors and passers by leave “Happy Diwali” notes in mailboxes when they see a house with lights on the street. Not only is being Indian known, even Diwali is known.

From segregated communities being bussed to white only schools to the suburbs in affluent America, Indian Americans have come a long way in 40 years.

3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

With Covid still very much around and the attack on the Capitol still fresh in our minds, the inauguration will not be what it could have been. Nonetheless, "Madam Vice President" will finally be a reality.

tweet.PNG

I might draw a small kolam with rice flour if I wake up early enough. : )

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    chanchitra and Lalithambigai like this.