1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Justice Backtracks

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

It was a crossword clue that taught me a valuable lesson.

When I was in my teens , my dad and I were brainstorming one day about solving a cryptic crossword puzzle. One clue had dad racking his brains.. It was “What is of no importance to Oscar Wilde (1,. 5).

“Try A Woman” I said as I knew Wilde had written a play called A Woman of No importance.

Dad who had no clue about that but knew Oscar Wilde was gay ( Wilde was actually a bisexual) went ballistic.

The guy who set the crossword had no business poking his nose into Wilde’s personal life, and must stick to his work alone, he said angrily. Whether Wilde was gay or straight was nobody else’s business.

That day I learnt that what two consenting adults do in their private spaces whether belong to different genders or the same sex, was nobody else’s business except their own.

And I am sure, it should not be the state’s business either.

But the Supreme Court, alas doesn’t think that way. Yesterday it gave a kiss of life to the Article 377 that criminalizes gay relationships that had been given a near-fatal blow by the Delhi High Court.. With one stroke of a judge’s pen thousands, probably lhundreds of thousands of Indians who had been law abiding citizens were transformed overnight into criminals who could be meted punishments upto a life term d for “sexual relationships against the order of nature” . An almost silent minority has again become liable for persecution.

I think the state has better things to do than bother about who is having sex with whom. This law is just impossible to implement. Can you fit a camera in every bedroom to find out whether persons making love there belonged to same sex or different ones.?

A crime is strictly an act that adversely affects someone. How the hell is anybody affected by what two guys are doing consensually between four walls?

The law is a remnant of British colonial rule when Victorian mindset and homophobia ruled the roost. Even the Brits who had introduced the law have become not just tolerant but accepting about such relationship but we are still caught in the colonial groove.

Having said that let me add a “But” here. While I am all for durable gay and straight relationships. Certain things fill me with unease. Remember the Pushkin Chandra murder case in Delhi few years ago? That guy was murdered by boys he had HIRED for sex.

This kind of cash for sex relationships exploiting the poverty of a section of society and luring boys with money is disgusting but it nauseates only as much as picking up girls for cash.. I have no sympathy for gays like Pushkin. They deserve their comeuppance.

Some homophobes may scream that doing away with article 377 would lead to Sodom and Gomorrah being unleashed in India. True if a girl can be raped, by lusty straights, boys can also be sexually molested by lusty gays. For this all we have to do is to extend the definition of rape to victims of forced gay sex as well if it has not been already done./

The constitution of India guarantees us Right to Life. And “Life” here does not just mean right to be alive but right to live our a manner that provides us fulfillment. May the true spirit of that right prevail. Let the Supreme Court revise its Judgment in the light of this spirit..

i

8 people like this.

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Balajee,

Forget the justice system and for that matter even the government. Are people of India ready to accept gay relationships/marriages socially? Can every Indian touch his/her conscience and tell that they would welcome gay couples the same way they welcome straight couples? Can a gay husband/wife nominate the spouse to be the beneficiary? Can they get employed if they declare their spouse as a person from same gender? Will they be recruited by military? Can they arrange formal marriages of same sex couple in the presence of friends and relatives? Can religious institutions perform same sex marriages? Can they adopt children legally?

These are questions the US is facing even today despite justice system and governments doing everything possible to formally accept gay relationships. I really don't know whether amendment to Article 377 would really solve all the above problems.

I agree with you 100% that freedom and liberty should include the person's right to live in harmony with a soul mate irrespective of the gender. That is the right thing to do socially.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  3. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Hi Balajee,

I absolutely agree with you. It is nobody's business to say who a person should have sex with. I think criminalizing it was way too much. It is like denying constitutional rights.

There are so many other issues which needs to be addressed rather than address someone's sexuality or sexual preference

I sometimes feel that the whole judicial system in india is a joke.

N yes accepting it or not is a different issue.

Now this law gave a free right to the policemen to harass LGBT community legally.

What were they thinking when they were passing such a law?

4. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I totally agree with you Balajee. It is nobody's business. I share the same concern as dsmenon that this community is going to get harassed because of such a law :(

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswa, I am not closing my eyes to the issues. Mindsets din't change overnight but at the same time we cannot wish away the gay community. They exist and will continue to exist. And passing laws to ban gay ties is ridiculous. The law and order machinery has better things to do than hound people who mind their own business. Putting people in the closet is no way to tackle the issue.

1 person likes this.
  6. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Such ties have been critized since the rise of semtic faiths like Christianity and Islam. But such persecutions seem mpt only barbaric but absurd in the 21st century. I am sure the law and order machinery has better things to do than go after people whose idea of asex life is different from ours. The law will in no way end homosexuality (It is ridiculous even to think that it could be ended) but send gays into the closet where things will continue as usual.

7. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Akila the Supreme Court ruling can make lot of law abiding citizens into criminals overnight and make them target of blackmail and persecution. I think the state should keep its hands off the private lives of citizens.

8. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Very well said, Balajee. I had the same question. On what basis can they decide what goes on behind closed doors between two individuals of the same gender living under one roof?

In fact, it imposes the duty to exist. Remember suicide is a crime? One more remanent of the Raj.

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balaji,

When i was young i was young and gay, now i am old and grey !!!!

i did not know much about the law, now u have explained it so well here. Why must u punish someone. let them do what they want, but in the close confines of the four walls.Even the legal bedroom has curtains, even though everyone knows what happens in thebedroom of a legally married couple still we keep it hidden, and not alked about, then why is this thing being talked about so much, making it embarassing for us to watch with our kids.

And i jsut hate this media hype, and all these activists , who tom tom the rights of gays. i would like to ask them one thing, if their child was gay, would they produly annoucne to the world, would they hold a pomp wedding of their child and his her gay partner ?

So they better shut up, but yes i dont agree with the prosecution part .

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  10. The respect of our country in the International arena is going to suffer a permanent set back after this judgment.

When the scientific community worldwide has proved that being a homosexual is not that individual's fault, it is Nature's choice imposed on him, how can this judgment be so unscientific ?

Already, in the West, they are thinking, India is a country full of beggars and snakes. To add to this myth, now another new thing will be created in the minds of International Community , that is : Indian Judiciary is a system bereft of logic and rationale.

The damage we Indians suffer with respect to loss of our respect due to this idiotic judgment would be unerasable and permanent.

Govt must file for a curative petition again in Supreme Court ! Central Ministers, Sonia , Rahul Gandhi , all are up in arms against the judgment. I think, the Centre, will file for a revision petition / curative petition in another bench of Supreme Court.

Or the Parliament can pass an Ordinance saying that gay sex is not a criminal activity. That way, this stupidity of the Highest Judiciary of this country can be reversed. Let us hope, this Govt does some really serious action on it

1 person likes this.