1. What Movie Did You Watch Today? : Post Here
    Dismiss Notice

Jhumpa lahiri's "The Namsake"

Discussion in 'Movies' started by SAMYUKTHA, Mar 26, 2007.

1. SAMYUKTHA

SAMYUKTHA New IL'ite

The Namesake directed by Mira Nair and written by Jhumpa Lahiri, is a movie that I highly recommend. The cast really rose to the occasion and effectively portrayed the binaries that exist between the two cultures- Bengali and American. Kal Penn was riveting as the main character, Gogol, and Tabu simply stole the show as Ashima.
    I was most skeptical of the direction, as I was not impressed by Nair's previous works, but she managed to do complete justice to the story. The authenticity of both cultures was consistently maintained throughout the movie, and as someone who grew up in the seventies, I could relate to many scenes in the movie. I would give the movie 4 stars out of 5. some scenes were definitely sexually explicit, but overall, the movie brought out a feeling of nostalgia within me and my husband. My daughter told me that she felt a kind of solace after watching it, becuase she was able to identify with the bicultural plot line.

Great movie!!:2thumbsup:

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Namesake

So, how many of you have seen the movie Namesake? The movie was eagerly awaited by all the avid readers of Jhumpa Lahiri's book.
    I watched the movie which has been released in some selected cinemas here.
    I must say I quite liked the movie. I was not a big fan of the book as I found it a bit gloomy. The movie was very true to the book and at the same time, was more vibrant. It had life and gave more insight to the main character of Ashima. It also captures Gogol's psyche vividly than the book.
    The family's trips to India will brings back nostalgic memories to every NRI. The movie also moves briskly forward and has a tight editing. The cinematography is good and captures the moods and colors of the situations.
    Some scenes like Tabu getting into the shoes of her would-be hubby, the kids' reaction to young Moushumi are delightful. Gogol's desperation on losing his father and Ashima's misery is very touching and moves one to tears. Yes, that episode had me searching for my Kleenex!
    Tabu is a good actress and she makes you think that the role was tailor made for her. I loved her dress sense and saris in the movie. Achingly Indian and so classy.
    Irrfan Khan did a good job in the role of Ashoke, underplays it and brings forth the poignancy. Kal Penn was very good as Gogol and nobody who has read the book will be disappointed with his portrayal of Gogol. The rest of the actors too fit the bill. Mira Nair has done justice to the novel.
    I wonder though if those who have not read the book will find the movie just as interseting? I would not know.

L,Kamla

3. Vishana

Vishana New IL'ite

Hi Kamla,

We went to see it on Fri night and it was excellent! Shows you what really happens in today's world. Very nice movie for some light viewing, nothing intense.

Vish xx

4. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Samyuktha and Kamla, Vishana

Thanks for the wonderful review of the movie. I liked the book a lot. Your review makes me wanna see the movie so badly. Unfortunately it is run in limited theaters. Guess I have to wait.

Regards,
    Jothi.

5. Vishana

Vishana New IL'ite

Hi Jothi,

No problem, you will certainly enjoy Tabu's portrayal! It would be nice to take your kids to see it as well however it does have 1 or 2 scenes not suited for them.

Regards,
    Vish xx

6. raginiprakash

raginiprakash Senior IL'ite

Hi!

Wonder how i missed this post.

I've read the book & liked it immensely & was waiting to watch the movie. Was glad i could watch the movie on a trip to Chicago.

I liked the movie too, it has been concised quite a bit, but understandably so to fit into the 2 &1/2 hour movie length. I thought it was quite crisp with some wonderful performances thrown in by the main protagonists.

It's a movie most first generation immigrants will identify with, feel nostalgic about & will surely take them down memory lane. There are some scenes that i really liked....to name a few..........Ashima adding peanuts & chilli powder to rice krispies, Ashima talking to her colleague about her son's american girlfriend, the girlfriend visiting them, Ashima driving her car, etc.

I could go on but don't want to spoil the fun (unless i already have, by talking abt some scenes, sorry!!) for those who haven't watched the movie yet.

Cheers!
    Ragini.