1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Its All About Potatoes, Honey!

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by varalotti, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nice one Sridhar.
    I can give this explanation of doctor-patient and pain, who/what is the main cause of our suffering, to a young friend, of mine, who is very much becoming an aethist..because of things happening to him.
    The pain and suffering is only to make us pure..i was reminded of this song..."thanga pudhathil ittu...thooyavan aakki vaiththai.."
    Mother and the child explanation is very realistic and true too...
    Purandharadasa's song also shows us how true love should be.

sriniketan

2. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Srividya,

I am thrilled you liked exactly those words which were penned in a state of frenzy. In fact I first prepared a draft of this blog and was not happy with that. Then I almost abandoned this blog and went for a nap. As I got up there was an urge to write something, something very fast. It was at that time that I wrote the later part of the blog especially the passages you've quoted.

Whatever feeling you get from reading my writings - call it energy or hope - comes from the fact that I simply reflect the light I got from people like Kulasekara Azhwar, Nammazhwar, Giffen and of course the most important person, that child in the MRTS train. So please direct your gratitude towards them.

There is surely light at the end of the tunnel, Srividya. I will rather go one step ahead. The tunnel we have been seeing all along is an optical illusion. It does not exist in reality. But the light is real. In fact it is the only real thing. This is the ultimate secret.

thanks for your comments, Srividya.
    sridhar

3. varalotti

Dear Usha,
    You are right. As a Customs Officer he brings out whatever contraband we have been hiding inside for aeons. And that process is painful for us; but rather inevitable in our spiritual journey.

One devotee complained to Ramakrishna Paramahamsa that whenever he sat meditating on God or praying to God, all bad thoughts come in his mind.
    The time was early morning. Sharadamani, Ramakrishna's divine wife was sprinkling water before their house as was their tradition.
    The Paramahamsa asked the devotee to see what was happening. As water fell on the ground some insects were coming out of earth.
    "Do you think that these insects were born because she sprinkled water? They were there inside and have been there for a long time. The water has brought them out. Hereafter the place would be clean.
    Similarly meditation does not create bad thoughts in you; it simply brings out the bad thoughts hidden in you for a long time. Once they come out you will be pure."

But the problem with our mind is that it does not like our status quo to be disturbed in any way. And it revolts against any force that disturbs it - even if it were God Himself trying to rescue us from the vicious prison of status quo.

thanks for the nice comments, Usha.
    regards,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

Hello Meena,
    Welcome to Indusladies. Have a nice time here. I am really happy that you stumbled upon my blog when you first entered this wonderful community.
    And thanks a lot for your kind words about by writing.
    My next blog is due next Wednesday. Till then have a tour of this great community. It's a real treasure trove and it is growing every day.
    May you and yours be always blessed.
    regards
    sridhar

5. varalotti

Dear Kamal,

It's like a surprise meeting of a friend in a new place. Nice to see you here. And as usual you have made my day with your beautiful words.

Well, Kamal, probably because I have been an accountant all of my life I gathered all these examples, all these words. Who knows what He has in store for me in the days to come.

I would any day love to be a wayfarer, a traveller on the path than a Guru. But I love the pay you put it across. There's a lot of affection in your words.

thanks, Kamal.
    love,
    sri

6. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Sridhar,
    Somehow i knew you can't stay away from mentioning God's name. It was just that i was thinking from which side will it emerge.

Lovely incidents you depict that portray God's love and sends it across.

Some how i feel what ever i say will notbe sufficient to say that i cherish your posts.
    Thanks Sridhar making us think of God
    Jaya

7. varalotti

Dear Meena,
    As a student of economics (way back in 1975 when Economics was introduced to me by Dr. M.R.Fenn in American College) I was impressed by Giffen's Paradox. That's a strange law in Economics which holds good even today. But as I started off with it with all the explanations and quotes from Alfred Marshall and all, suddenly my mind went adrift. I was wondering at the potatoes and then started to wonder about God. And the article was born.
    I promise you next time I will try to write about something else, unless of course He intervenes in His own way.
    I am happy you liked the train experience. I quoted that in Love all and it has still been haunting me.
    The small kid, the inanimate potatoes.... well seen what wonderful Gurus I have! God is really kind enough to bless me with these wonderful gurus.
    Thanks for coming in, Meenakshi.
    Love,
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Thanks, Sriniketan. As to atheists I am writing a full blog exclusively for them. Not with an intention to defend God but with love for those kind souls who have been denying God from the word Go.
    May be you will have a whole array of arguments to your atheist friend.
    But honestly Sriniketan, my suggestion to you, not as a blog-writer but as your family friend is, never, ever get into an argument with an atheist. God is pure love to be felt in the depths of our heart. He is not to be established by arguments. And seconly in any argument between an atheist and a devotee, the scale is already tilted in favour of the atheist. Anybody can disprove the existence of God. Only the blessed few can feel His presence. So my policy has always been like this. Never to argue with an atheist or with a retarded person. In some ways both belong to the same category.
    Actually the song you have quoted is the third stanza of the popular song "srichakra raja simhaasaneswari"
    It runs like this
    "thunba pudathil ittu thooyavan aakivaithai, thodarnthu en maayam neeki pirantha payanai thanthaai
    anbai puhatti unthal aadalai kaana cheithai
    adaikalam neeye amma akilaandeswari."
    துன்பப் புடத்திலிட்டு தூயவனாக்கி வைத்தாய் தொடர்ந்த என் மாயம் நீக்கி பிறந்த பயனைத் தந்தாய்
    அன்பைப் புகட்டி உந்தன் ஆடலைக் காணச் செய்தாய். அடைக்கலம் நீயே அம்மா, அகிலாண்டேஸ்வரி.
    (ஸ்ரீசக்ர ராஜ சிம்ஹாஸனேஸ்வரி ஸ்ரீ லலிதாம்பிகையே)
    thanks for the comments, Sriniketan.
    regards,
    sridhar

9. varalotti

Dear Shwetha,
    welcome to this wonderful community. I am really happy and honoured that you chose to make your first post in IL in my blog.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Have a nice time here. Take a slow tour of this great site. There are many things here which I am sure you would love. This is a very cohesive community and I am sure this will soon become your second home.

Take care and God bless.
    love,
    sridhar

10. varalotti

Jaya,
    When everything is Him how can I or for that matter anybody else can stay away from Him?

Thanks for the nice words.

In fact I am toying with the idea of writing about something else in the next blog. Though it will not be directly about God it will help us shed some of our inhibitions and prejudices so that we can perceive God's love even more clearly.

Every time you say that I fully understand your devotion and how well do you like my writings.
    You are most welcome, Jaya.
    love,
    sridhar