1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

IT work culture in india.....

Discussion in 'H4 Indian Ladies' started by revathia, Dec 31, 2009.

1. revathia

revathia New IL'ite

am sure many of the h4 ladies here would have worked back in IT company..
    i actually did my masters here in US and working here for the past 7 yrs,..now planning to return to india for good..as i got a offer with a IT company..
    since i never worked in india,
    please let me know how is the work culture in IT companies in chennai,

1, will there be too many politics.
    2, are the deadlines tight.
    3. how is the infrastructure like here in US..do we get flexibility like work from home etc etc
    4, overall ,,how is the work culture compared to here in USA..

2. sreyaallari

sreyaallari Bronze IL'ite

Hi revathia
    I'm a software professional for 5 yrs in chennai, India. and I love the work environment here.
    To answer your questions
    1. There will not be too much of politics that one cant manage...... We can work out different strategies to overcome. In any workplace in India we have some kind of politics and in Software field also it is there to some extent only.... :thumbsup
    2.The deadlines are not always rigid. Depends on what type of project you are put in. Whether development/prod support.
    3.There are options to work from home, unless the client specify some remote networks to connect to for security purpose.
    4. i think its pretty much the same....... with fellow Indian faces to look at(which I personally prefer).... :wink::wink:

3. pandusk

pandusk Gold IL'ite

Hi Revathi,

Politics is there everywhere and more in India :). Regarding work pressure when there are deadlines it is more as we need to meet the project release dates no matter if you are a developer or tester, it is the same.

And we tend to work long hours and even weekends, no time for personal life :rant.

Based on my work experience these are my views.

Regards,
    Pandu

4. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

I have been working for past 10 years both in India and in US. As far as my insight goes,

- Politics is there everywhere be it just Indian company or an american company. I have seen it and know many people who went through it. You just have to deal with it no matter where you are.

- Schedules are tight because you might be working on an onsite project which has deadline and there's your company's deadline which is set even tighter. But again people also enjoy their free times between projects. It also highly depends on the position you are at.

- Work culture used to be very friendly and nice when I started working back in 1998. I hope it only got better.

- Flexibility is there in terms of signing in not for signing out though. Some of your colleague may even look you top down if you leave at sharp 5.30 or 6 everyday. But again this could have changed now in some companies especially if some team is coordinating with onsite clients. Some US based companies like cisco, broadcom, oracle, MS etc give work from home option too.

Overall I had a very great experience while working in India but its triple fold here. If you have kids, then try to negotiate with the company beforehand for flex options (like leaving early or working from home).

BTW, can I know why you posted this thread in this forum rather than in general USA forum? You might be able to get more response if you post in the general USA forum IMHO.

-Uma

5. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

I believe it all depends upon your project and your collegaues..

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

hi revathia,

im sure you might have got ur answers by now...just to add:
    1. i have not worked in US but from what i have heard from my husband and friends : politics is there here too. sometimes,the way it appears is different in US,that is all:bonk
    2. deadlines are ok... u will have enough time.
    3. yes,work from home is there but its not a norm. may be if we ask for it then we will get it. in my previous company in india,we had the option.
    4. work culture is less stressful in USA,overall. but its not that we cant manage it in india especially if we are having a postion like a lead level etc

in my opinion,overal it will be just fine in india too

Neha S