It Was A Dark And Stormy Night ....

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by sokanasanah, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Whoa! That's a lot to read, will catch up later but on quick scan,

(1) I was stacking up Ulysses against Scrivener, and the review blogs have slightly confused me. Though both support rich formatting, and can be controlled via settings, which one is more conducive and natural, as in facilitates rich formatting with less key strokes?

(2) Paper Tiger looks promising for filing and indexing.

(3) Out of curiosity, since these apps have desktop , tablet and mobile versions, which ones are you referring in your post? In case you have these apps installed across desktop and mobile, do you see any feature differences?

That's quite a lot of worthwhile share. I have to properly read it later. Thank you.

2. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Can you give a day break. I might have few more queries on the "writing/research" tools and then you can jump to "proofing".

kkrish likes this.
  3. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

@kkrish and @Viswamitra, since you both are more experienced in blogging, can you list your writing tools, regardless they are heavy-weight wares or lighter add-ins. I am interested to know.

@kkrish, your space series is absolutely gorgeous with embedded pictures. Is that again crafted in a tool and exported?

kkrish likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

+1
    Thank you @sokanasanah
    That was a lot of fabulous information.
    I need time to read, assimilate, explore, and decide the various options you have provided.
    One day break please.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Wow S! I can't thank you enough for starting and spearheading this thread. There is so much to learn from how a professional writer would do things! I used to struggle looking for tools when I was working for corporate PowerPoint presentations when I was working for a public company until 2001. Now, we have dime a dozen tools to research, write and edit.

I am not getting any younger and hence I use my Samsung Note 4 to make notes always if I like a particular subject to do research later. Anything, I like gets bookmarked in all gadgets through sync option. I use Dropbox substantially to gather my research information. I also extensively use Evernote to make a lot of notes. Even though I write only what I am comfortable with in IL, I read a lot in science, technology, healthcare, financial services, economics, management, etc. As you said rightly, the research potential is enormous with internet.

I am eagerly waiting to read your proofing/editing. I belong to old school and hence all my threads are written in Word. I am determined to write no more than one page in IL for each thread and hence sometimes, I struggle with what is more important to convey among so much of data. When I do a lot of edits and rewrites, sometimes, I lose the plot of the thread. When I edit, the sentences make no sense (word salad - in @Gauri03's language) particularly when I add more ideas. When I reread my content, everything looks okay (because I read it many times) and I find mistakes only after I publish it and particularly time window to correct is over. :(

Viswa

sokanasanah likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Iravati
    Thank you for your wonderful compliment.

I use only MS word for my articles and I upload pictures in the appropriate points in IL itself. Very simple.

I spend a considerable amount of time on the article content and how to present it effectively.
    I use a lot of what I learned in my clases on communications, effective writing, and psychology, my current job, reading widely, to fine tune the articles.

I look forward to Sok's upcoming posts to glean more tips and better ideas to improve

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I didn't mean to carry on like that. Once I got started, one thing led to another and ....

Those posts were an attempt to make things a bit concrete, in a "news you can use" kind of way. Otherwise a discussion on writing can diffuse into vague generalities and enthusiasm for this or that passage. The original questions were: "How to go about this (i.e. improving one's writing) systematically" and "how to monitor progress".

The short answer is, I haven't the foggiest. This thread is an effort to figure out how I might go about it. I am thinking out aloud, using as a starting point my limited experience with editing mostly non-native speakers.

I am in no hurry.

kkrish and Viswamitra like this.
  8. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

I don't use mobile devices for 'work'. For me they are mostly data consumption gadgets. The only thing relevant to writing that I do with an iPhone or iPad is jot down ideas or take an occasional note or two, before I lose the thought. Or I might review something I wrote earlier. I don't 'produce' anything with them, except perhaps e-mails. They are talismans against the monkey-mind. So, I have not delved deep into feature matching issues.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

The layout is very elegant, so I assumed you were able to transfer your article (with embedded pictures) onto the text area. Thanks for getting back.

kkrish likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you for holding out @sokanasanah .
    I went through each of the writing tools in detail.
    Very interesting.
    Leaning towards Ulysses also, perhaps your influence. I have some plans to take up serious writing soon and I surely will fall back to your recommendations.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017