Is VBAC possible 2 yrs after C section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by skyinsc, Dec 26, 2015.

1. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

I delivered a boy in jan 2014 and expecting our second one in jan 2016. My doctor is strongly suggesting vbac ( vaginal birth after C) for me this time . I too want to try out and i see if i can deliver via vbac and i am keeping myself active by walking , using stairs in office and where ever possible , planning to work until 39 weeks etc and also with a active toddler boy at home. I have gained 20 pounds weight so far and was bracing myself for vbac.
    When i discussed my intent with one of my friend, she said usually for vbac the age gap should be atleast 3 or more else it is not possible for vbac as the stitches might open up during labour. I am so disheartened hearing this. I have my next appt on 23rd and i will raise my concerns with my doctor. I wanted to check if any of you or someone you know have undergone succeesful vbac with 2 yrs or less age gap or i am just dreaming of vbac. In that case i might as well ask for scheduled C as i dont want go through all the labour pains and finally have a C. Please ladies i need some motivation as i feel so helpless to think of undergoing C again but if that is the only option i will prepare myself for it

2. Sivasakthigopi

Sivasakthigopi Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    It is possible for VB after C section. For me in my second Pregnancy I also have chances for VB. But due to my last time incision and my health factors we go up on C section. It is preferred by my Family Doc (Gyn). So if your Doc suggest VB it is 100% Possible. Also i heard many VBAC in India especially in Tamilnadu.

1 person likes this.
  3. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your response @shivashaktigopi. Yes VBAC is possible but I am more concerned about the gap between C and attempt to VBAC . Is VBAC possible just 2 years after C is my worry or am i just dreaming of it :(

Friends please give me some feedback if you had heard /know someone with 2 yrs or less gap and attempted successful VBAC

4. NirmalaGoofy

NirmalaGoofy Gold IL'ite

I have couple of family members who had VBAC, but they waited for 5 and 6 years before their second child. Here doctors strongly suggest to wait atleast for 4 years before trying VBAC. Two years gap is little less for VBAC. Talk with your doctor. If you dont feel comfortable just go for C. Your health is more important.

1 person likes this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Two years is the ideal recommended gap. Anything more is just extra security. VBACs are problematic when people try home births or birthing centers where surgery is not an option. If you will be delivering in a US hospital, you should be fine. Birth regulations here require a surgical team to be prepped and ready for an emergency surgery when a VBAC is being attempted. The risk of rupture during VBACs is very very low. That combined with the precautions the hospital will take should take care of even the remotest chance of something going wrong. If your doctor is supporting a VBAC, go for it. It is very rare for doctors in the US to be supportive of a VBAC. You are lucky. Trust your doctor and do as they suggest.

peartree, docathome and skyinsc like this.
  6. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Thank you @NirmalaGoofy. I want to try VBAC and hence the dilemma/worry about uterus rupture but at the same time dont want to risk any remote chance of losing the baby as I heard some horror stories about uterus rupture.

Thanks a lot for your reassuring words @Gauri03. I will be delivering at kaiser and not home birthing. I will check with my doc in my next appt on 30th to see if the hospital lost any babies due to uterus rupture attempting VBAC as that seems to be most asked question by those attempting VBAC when I browsed online.

Once again thanks for taking time to clear my doubts :)

7. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

i had vbac but gap was 6 yrs.....i have heard tht 3 yrs gap is good....but if ur dr is confident about it then she must be having reasons behind it....you may take second opinion about it from other dr.
    i have seen one case of uterus rupture. ...baby was saved but got fracture in hand....
    because possiblity of rupture is always there in vbac so dr. should be experienced enough to handle the situation if rupture occurs...baby is lost due to rupture if delays occur in surgery after rupture. ...and delays happens if dr. is not able to read the sign of rupture occuring or hospital is not equipped properly for immediate surgery. ...

1 person likes this.
  8. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the reply coolgal123. I discussed my concerns with my obgyn and she reassured me that unless she thought that I am eligble for VBAC she wouldnt have recommended it and that 2 yrs gap is also nothing to be concerned. They will closely monitor baby's heart rate and if they see any chances of risk they will immediately do emergency C. I feel a lot better now about VBAC after my discussion with the Dr and hoping I will have a successful VBAC.
    Thank you all for taking time to reply.

yellowmango and Vasumathy like this.
  9. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

To answer my own question, I had successfully delivered via vbac with almost 2 yrs gap

peartree, Meet9, satzkars and 3 others like this.
  10. satzkars

satzkars New IL'ite

Can u please give me the doctor and hospital details