Is This Comment Offensive?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Writers for comedians rarely ever focus-group their output. In companies with deep pockets, there will be lawyers to tell them whether it is kosher or not. Causing offense is good material. There will be second-order laughs when people who are woke, react to the material after reading about it in reviews and social media forwards.

Even in countries with strong libel laws, offending an ordinary (non-celebrity) individual would encourage a lawyer to take up that case to court, but offending a "class" would not. And offending an individual would be A-OK, if that offended person in the comedic line is the comedian herself.

Some comedians (like Rodney Dangerfield) got famous on "my wife", "my mother in law" genre of material; but then, it became idiotic when everybody else jumped on that bandwagon. And then there is self-deprecation, as well as deprecation of one's own class, like black comedians using the N-word to get laughs from both N's and non-N's.

Standup used to be a chat between the one who is standing and improvising, and all others who are sitting and eager to laugh. When that was recorded and put out to the world, people who view have the time to reflect and go wherever they want with their analyses.

Rihana, Thyagarajan and nuss like this.
  2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I find it offensive. This comment is in very poor taste. I know people find things funny that make me cringe. You are not overreacting.

Rihana and Thyagarajan like this.