1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is this an Abnormal Situation ? - Please answer

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by desiheart, Sep 14, 2011.

1. billybob

billybob Gold IL'ite

Blessed raising hand is the next step from verbal abuse to physical abuse, it not about first time, it is an assault on someone mentally.imagine your daughter being in that situation. OP why do you need someone to take care of you constantly, go back to your physcian and get help, people in your life will get frustrated if they have to take care of you constantly, make an effort and get help.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

In DV cases when the cops come they determine whether someone has been physically assaulted and the charge comes from them not the victim. This is so the woman or man who was assaulted cannot be threatened into dropping the charges.

OP: I am not sure how this will pan out based on the laws of your state and the charges or lack thereof, but this can also have a positive spin as the court can mandate counselling for your husband and also probably marital counselling so that this type of thing is stopped.

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

This is very valid point.We have enormous of energy and power as human and you need to understand that and get healthy.I was hit by RA(Rheumatoid arthritis ) during my second pregnancy but I took care of myself completely.Not a single day I looked for anyone's help.Anyway,I don't have that choice.
    So If I can do it,you can do it too.Find out the things which makes you better,physical exercise,no matter what allocate time for them and recover physically from it.We can't depend on husband,parents or MIL or kids to take care of us.We need to take care of our self first then rest comes later.

4. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op,I called 911 when my husband abused me for 4-5 yrs.I regret not doing what you did the first time you were abused?I am sorry to say your mil is not a good lady forget very good.she is manipulative,condescending and mean.but then these are qualifications of some in laws.you did the right thing.this wud have been a regular feature if not stopped.

chances are this might go to court.if it goes you will be given court appointed lawyer.they dont charge fees ask the lawyer to have your husband take some anger management classes.it might probably be a misdemeanor charge in al likelihood.if he is coming into your m.i.I. Manipulation',time for him to realise his responsibilities.send your mil back immediately.put Ur kid in daycare.bad idea to call in laws for child care.they come with manipulation and wreaking havoc in our lives from time to time.look for Pro bono immigration lawyers and ask them for their opinion before court.good luck.

5. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Choc

just a clarification..I guess OP was verbally abused since past couple of years...she mentioned it in her post....her husband was getting brainwashed and abusing her mentally and verbally and the next step was when he raised his hand on her after lengthyyyyy argument thats whenshe called COPs.

I dont know if we can call this first time or not...because as billybob said..once he raises his hand...there is no turning back...verbal abuse is out of the window and there begins the physical abuse.

if we dont stop such stuff on the first step (as you said) it will take years to get that strength to take any action..and as we know there are some women who live with it through their entire life.

by the way thanks for chipping in with your story..yes I do remember reading your posts and it was a very positive outcome in your marital life...so am hoping OPs husband also understands why his wife did what she did.

6. desiheart

desiheart Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the replies so far, please post your responses.

Update - My MIL will be leaving. Husband changed passwords to his bank accounts and email accounts today and is denying access to me. I never gave him mine due to MIL money-control issues. My savings are intact.

I got in touch with a lawyer yesterday but still not getting clear-cut information. I informed my husband that I spoke to a lawyer and he listened keenly to the information I told him.

Questions about my Health - I was involved in a car accident while driving, during advanced pregnancy and had broken bones around spine. Somehow I carried my growing baby in my womb with excruciating pain for 2 more months and gave birth but my health hit rock-bottom.
    I was on bed-rest for 1 year to allow the broken bones to fuse. I was on wheelchair for that year. My Mom was needed to look after our baby. Mom's visa expired, hence MIL came.
    I am taking physical therapy and getting much better but doctor has placed restrictions on bending down, lifting baby or any weight greater than 5 lbs, pushing baby in stroller etc.
    This makes child-care of a active toddler impossible when he is at home after daycare option, if he is put there.
    I have complete mobility now (can drive, walk, self-care) but still have those above restrictions until physical therapy is completed.

Chocolate, I sat up when I read u underwent the same thing. I do not have the privileges to send you a private message. If you dont mind, could you please post your 911 experience in greater details like -

1) What did the cops issue - Class C Assault Family Violence Ticket or Arrest Husband or Gave Verbal Warning with no Ticket and let him off ?

2) What was the end result -
    Was the Case Dismissed ?
    Did you hire a lawyer ?
    Did you testify in a trial ?
    Did you opt for Pre-Negotiations or Jury Trial ?
    Did you get Deferred Disposition from Prosecutor i.e Probation Period with eventual Case Dismissal ?
    How long did it take for the whole process ?

3) Did your husband Plead Guilty or Not Guilty in court ? Was he convicted ?

4) Did you inform over phone to 911 that your husband beat you ? Did you state to the cops when they arrived
    on the scene that he hit you ? Did your husband admit to the cops that he hit you ?

4) You said it had a positive outcome - How long did it take for you as a couple to establish a stable and loving relationship all over again ?

5) Did you both go for marital counselling ?

6) What was your husband's reaction post-911 call and initial period ?

Please let me know.

SriVidya75 - By Patch Up I meant trying to make our marriage work after all this. No, we have not seperated, We are in same house and sleep in different rooms since the 911 call.

Sometimes, sometimes I wonder how and why did I end up in life here. I am educated (MS in USA) and was a topper in engg. college. I had good technical and management skills and was doing well in my job until the accident happened and this is where I am today .......

7. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I was actually scared to read this :(

how he has changed his passowrds and denying access...but again why do youneed access to hsi email a/cs or bank a/cs if your bank a/cs are separate.

what info did you get from the lawyer? was that about whehter it affects his job/citizenship??

I would suggest please take it slowly...am sure your husband has his own plans..he sure would do his followup etc...or tell him that you want to be part of all this and help him as much as possible to get this case off of his back...tell him that..

but pls stop thsi running. or else you might give a wrong indication to him as if you are trying to do your base work to get what you want from him.....which might sound really worrisome for him.

Tell him that he has to contact a immigration and DV attorney to get this case cleared...ask him to join any immigration forums and ask for help....tell him you are doing research oninternet to get this issue resolved for both ofyou...but pls includehim and let him make the first move of contacting an attorney.

REason?? as I said..he might think you are taking care of what options you have if you separate from him etc....which is not the case here right?? so dont give wrong indications to him. offer help and support and be there when he needs you. thats all. dont rush things.

Also I understand..though you may not feel bad for calling cops..but you are feeling bad for the kind ofsituation you were put in...i.e.e he gets to abuse you as much as he wants, but when you take action..again it hurts you also emotionally and mentally.......not just him..(thats the bad part in marriages...when one spouse gets to dominate the relationship.) so dont try to stress yourself over all this....just take it slow...yes this has happened in your life..you have to deal iwth it thats all...who knows things may take a good turn also right??

is your husband on talking terms with you? is he involved with the kid? did your FIL or parents know about all this? in any case dont disclose this to your side relatives/friends/his side relatives/friends/neighbours..just keep it amongst your family until this gets resolved...because they may not really help..but may add ghee to the fire.

8. desiheart

desiheart Bronze IL'ite

- We are on talkng terms about our kid and DV lawyer. Kid is being sent to india with MIL and my parents will look after him there until I recover enough to take care of him. We are both distraught to send our kid away but we decided it is best for him to be with his grandparents until we work on our critical issues - DV case, marriage, my health.

Both my parents and FIL were completely shattered on hearing this. No one else knows. My FIL and parents discussed this issue between themselves and wanted us to patch up at all costs. MIL and my Mom not on talking terms currently.

- FIL is very sensible in this situation I found, and he insisted his son to patch up with me. He got very upset and angry on him for his actions. He spoke to me about what happened and I indicated in a respectful tone that as long as MIL does not control our money and interfere in our marriage with her brainwashing we will work towards it. He assured me of it not happening anymore, but I doubt how much she listens to him.

- My parents were very distraught and scolded me severely for calling cops, they said this could have been resolved internally easily.

Husband told FIL that he will try to patch up with me if I am interested as well. But he is extremely upset currently esp. with the newfound knowledge of Citizenship/ Future Job jeopardy down the lane, if convicted.
    He is a top hundred rank holder from india's best engg institute.

But with his changing bank passwords today I doubt his intentions now. He is negating my efforts of reconciliation and trust.

That is the update so far.

9. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

Op,try as much as possible for a pre trail diversion .my husband was given pretrial diversion and ordered anger management classes.now the ball is in your husband's court as to what to do?its not 2 yrs but stays on record for 5 yrs.if he is arrested again for Dv it will be felony charge and have serious consequences.read my earlier posts maybe 2 yrs back you can get an idea about everything.even legal matters.its too lengthy so iwont be able to post again.good luck.

sindmani likes this.
  10. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear,

I didn't have much idea on intention of people and there minds.But from your posts,when you don't share your passwords then why does he had to share with you?

I know you met with an accident and gone though lot but you mentioned he took care of you well.

So don't panic because he had changed his passwords.That's the only thing I wanted to tell you.