Is Palpitation common around 14th week?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by VidyaaJ, Mar 19, 2009.

1. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I have severe palpitation when I climb stairs or even if I walk for some distance or while doing some household chores. Drowning

Please tell me if this is a common one during pregnancy and are there any one who is suffering from this?:bowdown:bowdown

I used to have palpitation on and off before Pregnancy but my doctor said that it has nothing to do with the heart and I may also get it while I have some gas in my abdomen which tries to come out.( but those palpitations were not specifically when I do some work, it comes even if I am idle)

Awaiting for your reply...

Love,
    Vidyaa

2. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi

Do you mean breathlessness / shortness of breath? If yes it is common.

Try sleeping propped up.
    When sitting keep your shoulders straight giving more room for your lungs
    Sit down and reach high with your hands and breathe in slowly and out

If you are not used to doing activities you may initially feel like that when climbing stairs or even doing some house work. Depends on how active / inactive lifestyle you have and also your weight. But should go away once you make a change towards a more active lifestyle.

If your doctor has ruled out any complications then dont worry.

Cheers
    Deepa

3. Harini28

Harini28 Senior IL'ite

Vidya, I hear u. Before pregnancy also, i used to get these palpitations. But during pregnancy, it is very often. Yes, even when i sit idle also, my heart beats very fast sometimes for a minute of two and then normal. This may be because we have lots of anxiety stored inside. Does ur ob check ur harmones every now and then? This also sometimes happens when harmones r out of whack which is common in pregnancy. That is why we get mood swings.

Tip: Try assuring urself that everything will be alright and divert ur thoughts towards positivism. Or do any work which interests u like cooking, watching TV or reading etc.,

Hope this helps.
    Take care dear and congratulations on ur pregnancy.

4. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hi Deepa,

Thanks for your reply. but I was not mentioning just about shortness of breath it is also increase in the number of heartbeats and you can feel the heart beating so faster than usual. coz of this we also sweat.:spin

Yes, I was not used to do lot of activities even before my prgnancy. And moreover in my first trimester, it was like complete rest. but now when I try doing very small activities (even climbing 10-15 stairs), I feel so bad....Rant

I will surely try all the tips given by you and will write you my feedback. Thanks again...:)

Love,
    Vidyaa

5. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hey Harini,

Thank u so much... I am a bit relieved knowing that I am not alone... When I had this before pregnancy the doctors said, it is just becoz of the gas that gets produced in the abdomen and that gets to come out giving an upward thrust. and now this suddenly seems to become more often and I felt very irritated. Rant

I think you are correct, it may be becoz of the anxiety... I will try to reduce it :hide: and will see if that helps....
    Thank you so much for your reply dear.... :bowdown

Love,
    Vidyaa

6. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Vidya

To explain scientifically, the blood volume increases by 50% during pregnancy and so the amount of blood pumped by the heart increases along with the influence of the harmone progesterone causes irregular , fast racing like feeling of heart beats. This is normal.

If this is accompanied by dizziness or breathlessness, then you should get it checked.

But since this happens during exertion then you know why its happening.

So try to relax. Hope this helps further.

Deepa