1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is old age homes good for senior citizens

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Neerjavakil, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Neerjavakil

Neerjavakil Silver IL'ite

Dear friends

While going through other thread where there was a discussion going on about who should be the' head of the family'. In order to clear the concept of the 'head of the family', i cited the example of film Baghban so one of the fellow illite wrote instead of showing such and such films Bollywood should glorify the concept of parents living in so called 5 star old age homes.
    So, my question to you when our parents are old and need us most at that stage of life is it good to send them in old age homes even if they provide five star facilities?
    Are not we capable enough to look after our elders who have spent all their lives in looking after us and providing all the necessities of life even if they may fell short of it many times?
    Have we become so much selfish and conservative in our thoughts to bear the responsibilty of our parents?
    This is really a question to think.:drowning

6 people like this.

2. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

its always easy to advise others to think about old age homes for their parents when they vent their troubles and inconvenience, but when it is within the family its a loaded question.

2 people like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

When quoting "fellow ilite" ,why not quote the whole statement? Which was:

Really waiting when Bollywood / TV serials will start glorifying concept of independent living, positives of 5 star old age homes and regular visits from related members.
    How do parents of ONLY daughters or no child or disable/ disowned child spend their old age?

Even the above is not a complete quote. The post has to be read in its entirety to get the context and the obviously sarcastic/flippant nature of the post, but I guess it is convenient to pick a few words from it and start a new thread. :)

7 people like this.
  4. MaritalBliss

MaritalBliss Platinum IL'ite

Are we ourselves willing to stay at old age homes when the time comes? Most of us are not...but we have to be reasonable to our kids and children in laws so that they do not detest us. We need our own home, so that we are not told to get out. We need to have some income so that we are not a burden. We have to accept the fact that none of our kids may look after us in our old age.

4 people like this.
  5. Neerjavakil

Actully that is it. Are we willing to stay at old age homes??? You have put it rightly here actully this was the question that i wanted to ask?
    There are threads like 'what is family' in our forum. According to me the family is an institution where the child learns the first lessons of his life like walking, talking and above all the" 'sanskar'. The sanskar is something which does not come from schooling. This is the only thing which he learns while following his/her elders in the family.:thumbsup
    There are many instances of mil and dil not getting well along with each other :bonkbut it is always third generation that goes well with their grand parents. There may be generation gap between the son and father but third generation grandson is always friendly and understands their grand parents
    So my question is this by sending our parents in the old age homes is it not that we are creating some vacum betwenn the two generations i.e grand parents and grand children. who is responsible for all this???
    The family being the first institution of life, the lesson of respecting our elders and providing them comfort in the homes itself is the education that child learns from family. So he is the witness of everything in the familly. Isn't it that showing him the path of throwing our parents in old age homes, we are making rooms for such homes for ourselves. Kindly pour your thoughts.

6. Neerjavakil

Rihana
    This quote is enough to dignify the facilities of provided by old age homes and blaming media for not covering them.:bonk Old age homes giving them that status of five star. What is this? Can a home be compared with the luxrious life of five star old age homes. I didn't get that. And if by chance some has to live in these houses that is because of compeltion and family pressure or something else. How can Bollywood glorify them???

7. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

For those who have missed this thread http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...198633-are-the-elderly-necessarily-wiser.html by kamalji.

(It is slightly related to this topic. Sorry op if you think otherwise and if you want me to remove this link. I will do so)

The reason i am posting the link is , it made me sit and think.

I have one child...... Because of changing times, most probably I will be living alone or in an old age home.
    I swear I am not that bad and I am not anticipating that she will kick me out :)

My dh has strictly told me that we should not expect her to look after us. She should be free to live in any country in the world. But after a week of asking him all the doubts that kept popping in my mind through out the week, I am beginning to see his side of the argument.

However making up our mind about something when we are younger and implementing the decision when we are older is a whole different thing. :)

Hopefully in this thread, we will get to hear both sides of the argument and also we share tips to face life @ an old age home if that becomes inevitable at some point of time in our lives.

World is changing. We better be prepared for it. Just my 2 cents.

Ya of course I would love to live with my kid till my end. But I have to be mentally prepared too as that would be giving her an option to choose what she wants.....

10 people like this.
  8. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Is old age homes good for senior citizens? The answer will vary from person to person. There can not be one single right answer for this. Some seniors might actually prefer to live in an old age home because they can mingle with people their age. If that's the case then it is a good option. It is about willingness. If they are not willing to go to OAH and want to stay with their son and DIL, then the son and DIL also have to be willing to have them, if they are forced to have them, then it's unfair. Let's not assume that these senior citizen took care of their owm parents, many of them didn't.

In theory, we could say that kids should take care of parents, but in reality the dil is mostly held responsible for taking care of not only the aged PILs, but also the sils. Things have to be put straight before we talk about the right and wrong of sending senior citizens to OAH.

A lot should depend upon the relationship between the parents and the children and their spouses. If the parents hope to live with the son and DIL, they have to work on having a good relationship with them. Bossing over them, interfering in everything is never going to endear them to the DIL.

One important thing is clear communication. If a father is spending money on luxury items like car etc. for his son, he should make it clear that he needs the money back. If the parents as in Baghban have to live with the sons for the sole reason that they do not have a house or money to live independently, they should be able to ask the sons for financial help.

living separately, close to the kids could be better option than OAHs, but as a society we have to accept it.

6 people like this.
  9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

There is no steadfast rule for this problem. Every family's circumstances are different. I have seen quite many senior citizens....if they have adequate finances they would prefer to live on their own. Children also do not mind sending them money. They can be independent in their houses and comfortable. Can employ part time help if needed. When health fails then the problem comes. Many old age homes do not admit sick seniors. Then children should take care of them......I feel it is their duty to take care or make arrangements to take care of them...according to their family circumstances. For taking such care even if they have to undergo some hardships...they should be ready to undergo them. Otherwise we would be going on a guilt trip forever. We should not be selfish. No five star facilities can replace the love of a child. Along with giving good education to children and encouragement to do what they want to do, giving them good values system is also equally important.

Syamala

2 people like this.
  10. Neerjavakil

Anita and monita
    Thanks for commenting on this issue. yes the issue is quite alarming and sensitive but we can not leave it as it is.
    Anita I will definitely go through the thread you mentioned "Are elders necessary wiser." Thanks for providing the link and will not take it otherwise in anyway. infact, thread will give me more chances to look into the loopholes if any.:thumbsup