Is october good time to visit Switzerland?

Discussion in 'Indians in Switzerland' started by sgupta, Jul 14, 2009.

1. sgupta

sgupta New IL'ite

Hi All,

I'm planning to visit Swizterland in first week of octoberfor a vacation. Pls let me know if its right time to visit.

Pls let me know the MUST SEE places there? also, any other place that can be seen along with it. Few suggestions that people hav given me are Austria, Paris, Amsterdamn. But i'm not sure which place to choose , it shld be cost effective and worth watching too .

Pls suggest..

Thanks,
    Shruthi

2. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Dear Shruthi,

We [me and my hubby] visited Swiss during peak winter and that was in december.Having stayed in Europe for few years now probably the cold was not a deterring factor in our trip.If you are travelling from India, I can't advise you the same.October is likely to be the transition period culminating in winter.If you are not comfortable travelling in winter probably it is best to postpone till summer.

Swiss is gorgeous and some of the places worth travelling are Engelberg,Lucern,Interlaken etc.

Paris is a lovely city so are the other ones.I guess it depends on your interest so that you can choose to travel to one of these other places along with Swiss tour.Generally people prefer to travel to Paris + Zurich + Brussels as a tour.

Hope this information is useful.Take care and have a nice trip.Please do post some snaps when you return.:)

3. lazo

lazo New IL'ite

hi Shruti :)

I agree with Sabitha..:iagree you told that you are planning in october..and i have spent oct here., its good (although day becomes shorter and no snowfall) but visiting swiss in winter is just like missing all the scenic beauty..as everything is covered by snow,, if you like snow then its okkk.. I think that swiss is best in march,april,july,aug and sep (as it becomes too hot in may and june and the temperature reaches 30 degree C,you will get sweat..!!) I have travelled lots of places in swiss but among them i would like to suggest you to must visit Interlaken, Basel, luzern, lugano and kandersteg.
    you can visit to paris in Oct. As it doesn't take overnight journey from train, by TGV you can reach in 4-5 hrs from zurich..! (if you are planning to go by train)..but you should have atleast 4 days to visit paris.,as there are lots of places to sea. otherwise rome and vetican city would be perfect., It just takes 2 days.:2thumbsup:..!! you can also visit to Munich, and can enjoy the world's most famous beer festival,octoberfeast from 19th sep - 4 oct :cheers.
    well..plan your trip,,enjoy.!
    Love
    LAZO :)

4. kripa86

kripa86 New IL'ite

Hi Lazo,
    I am also planning a trip to Europe during Oct 3 for a weel. I am gonna travel with my 1.2 yr old daughter and my husband. Is it advisable to travel with a baby during that time? how much will be the temperature during begining of october? I am based in Dubai.