1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is my Mom supportive & caring?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by LonelyFlower12, Apr 3, 2015.

1. LonelyFlower12

LonelyFlower12 Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I got married two years back, staying with my husband alone in a flat since my marriage. Because of our jobs, we have to stay a bit far from my mom's place. My parents are also in same city; it will take an hour to reach my mom's place from my flat.

I was trying to conceive right after six months after my marriage but it didn't happened all these days. Recently, I got to know that I have the much expected good news. I was on top of the world & informed my mom, who was praying to hear this good news all day long.

Everything was well until I asked her when will she come to my home to be with me for moral support & help. She says she need to take care of my aged grandma, cant leave her tuition classes etc. I am totally taken aback!! She is asking me to think practical & sacrifice my wish as I'm the elder one in my family. She gives suggestions as she will ask my dad to visit all weekends & any one day in weekdays, she will prepare & send my favorite food across.

Her brother also resides in same city. I asked her to send my grandma to his home for two years but she is not willing to do that.

I don't understand whether my wish to have my mom by my side is right or wrong; Whether she really cares for me. She was the one who put greater pressure on me to have a child but now when I ask her for support, she is backing out. She says she will look after me when I go for maternity leave around 9th month. The moment I hear her convincing words to think practical, manage on my own & blah blah, I couldn't stop my cry. Something in me aches me :(

Please suggest whether I'm making a big issue out of nothing or is it normal thinking.

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Why would you need someone to "take care" of you? Pregnancy is not a sickness and you can live a normal life. Your mother seems to have other commitments (like aging parents) so it is understandable she prioritize those that are in a real need. Maybe she also think of the situation from your DH:s perspective. How tough it would be on him having your mother there all the time.

11 people like this.
  3. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

I think you are being emotional & selfish . Your Mom is practical. As crayoness rightly mentioned, pregnancy is not a sickness. Btwn, why do you expect your Mom to come and stay with you. If you want to stay with your Mom, why can't you go and stay with her during your pregnancy for the same moral support and help.

Your husband should provide you moral support and help. What kind of help you are expecting from your Mom ? Cooking , cleaning and taking care of your family ? C'mon you are married.It is your family and you should find means to take care of it.

It is totally valid that she doesn't want to leave her aged Mom or her students doing tuition with her and come and stay with you. She is a very very good Mom and a teacher. You should appreciate her. It is not fair to expect your Mom to compromise and live with you, when you yourself can't do it.

As a Mom, it is her duty to tell her married daughter to tell certain things that her elders must have told when she got married. That doesn't mean she should listen to whatever you tell. She has already told what she would do as any Mom would do.. Expecting her to stay with you throughout your pregnancy and after delivery..(2 yrs !!!) is too much and sounds selfish to me.

7 people like this.
  4. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

Hi @Lonelyflower,

Congrats and have a healthy pregnancy. As @CrayoNess has said Pregnancy is not a sickness. You can have a normal life.Probably you are emotional due to your harmons.
    Having your mother for a longer period with you will affect you as well as her life.If you feel that you need to stay with your mother why don't go to your parents place stay there in week ends or for some days.

Just because she is not willing to come and stay with you for longer period does not mean that she does not love you or care for you.It is just that she is having more pressing commitments and practical difficulty.That's all.

Enjoy your pregnancy and start reading books about pregnancy and get prepared for a bundle of joy.

1 person likes this.
  5. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

Agree with Crayoness. Since your mom has many commitments, you need to be a little understanding. I had a terrible morning sickness which lasted till my second trimester and I didn't have anyone with me. I was working and travelling almost 90 km(two way) from home. It was horrible experience but I had no one for support. It never crossed my mind to ask my mom for help. I must be the thinnest pregnant mom ever because of the constant vomiting and lack of appetite.

I understand that when we get pregnant, we yearn for our mothers love and especially her cooking . But I know I had no choice as mom was living far away and she wouldn't leave her comfort zone for anything.

Maybe you can ask her to come visit you or you can take day off from work and spend some quality time together. That way you wont feel alone and it saves your mom the guilt too.

Have a happy pregnancy dear...enjoy it with your hubby. Take care

6. LonelyFlower12

LonelyFlower12 Senior IL'ite

Many thanks to you all for being an eye-opener!! You all have replied me in such a short time with valid reasoning. It made me to realize lots of things.
    Your replies are like a big slap to me :(

Now I could feel the selfishness in me & how dare I started to question my mom's affection on me..

I will be bold enough to take care of my family & will not make anybody to feel guilty with my behavior.

Now, I feel really bad and ashamed. Sorry to you all for asking such a non sense question :(

10 people like this.
  7. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

You are a very good girl too :). Accepting one's mistake is a very big act.
    You don't have to feel ashamed. Your question is valid from your point of view.
    Happy to know that you are not adamant on your Point of View and have better clarity now.

Enjoy your pregnancy. You will be a good parent. All the best. !

3 people like this.
  8. Phalguni

Phalguni Bronze IL'ite

THIS IS THE REASON WHY I LOVE...LOVE...LOVE INDUSLADIES.
    Enjoy your pregnancy Lonelyflower12

1 person likes this.
  9. Denni

Denni Gold IL'ite

Noting to be ashamed of dear. Most of us here are mommies and we perfectly understand how the hormone works during pregnancy. You needed your mom during your pregnancy, that's all. No need to apologise for that ok. Now go and enjoy your pregnancy.....your bundle of joy would be here soon...so cherish your pregnant moments with your family.

You are most welcome to post any questions or share your problems here.

1 person likes this.
  10. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Hey girl ! you are quite lucky to have a mom who is closely available to send you all your favorite goodies twice a week.Three forth of the ladies in this forum were not as lucky as you.Be happy with all the blessings you have and dont yearn for whats not practically viable.Privacy for you with your DH and local help on days you need that extra hand is a huge blessing.How could your brother all of a sudden start looking for your grandma? How would your grandma feel being passed on as a liability?

Congrats pa for your pregnancy and to the world of motherhood :cool:

1 person likes this.