Is making friends in foreign land so difficult???

Discussion in 'IL'ites in Sharjah' started by Garimajha26, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Garimajha26

Garimajha26 Bronze IL'ite

hi everyone..

I never thought making friends would be so difficult in foreign lands.
    people come view your status n leave, why?? are they shy?? but friendship is so beautiful. A cup of coffee with some talks, a walk in the park...is it so dangerous that people dont make friends or is it the trust that lacks??
    I'm really shocked..life will be so joyous with friends around. Friends are the people whom we chose, Imagine 3 Idiots would be made with only 1 Idiot, sholay with either of jay or veeru....
    thats whar i' m trying to say life is beautiful full of colors with family around, but a ffriend adds a little more brightness to it...
    I'm sure someday i ll have bunch of friends here..till then i'l keep trying... :)

God bless you all with great friends around
    Take care.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2013

2. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi garima
    Unfortunately I think in UAE ESP Sharjah it is so.... I have a feeling it's because the proportion of Indians here is comparatively more than may be any other place abroad like ( US) etc ..
    Well it seems really hard to find a good set friends here ..
    May be its just that taken for granted feeling ... Because every third person you meet is an Indian and of course there seems to be group ism amongst those hailing from the southern part of India particularly kerala since gulf is known to be main resident amongst the keralities .hence may be this left out feeling :)

3. Garimajha26

Hi Ramya..
    thank you for the reply.....I thought on foreign lands we are all indians not southerns or northern.....sad to know...anyways....exceptions are there...still m hopeful when i leave this country i in my heart i will know i have few true frnz back there.....thnx agn...:)
    God bless u.. :)
    keep smilin..:)

Garima

1 person likes this.
  4. devipriya

devipriya Senior IL'ite

Well, I would say Making Foreign friends is not a tough task, provided you are interesting!!!

I am in the world of internet since 2000 (i think so, or even before) The period when we had yahoo chat rooms.... I made many friends, Used my common sense to find the geniune persons... And kept them along with me while I was making new friends.. Now I am an avid traveller around the globe, and no matter in which city I am, I will be having 2-3 friends to guide me to the best hotel, park and such things. And never ever felt alone in a new city.. "Be honest, Never Show Off, Dont expect anything in material, and always respect the other one" This is my guideline in making friends.... Insah Allah, I never had any bad experience with interent friends yet....

So Graima, I would suggest, Have patience and dont be too choosy while making friends... For friendship are not made, but it happens.... Never be specific for the place, sometimes a friend in Europe can provide you a friend in africa if you are proven as a good friend...So I suggest, Please be global

Well, always remember what we give is what we get...

All the best dear!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. RamyaSridhar1978

RamyaSridhar1978 Gold IL'ite

Hi Devi
    Lucky that you Managed to find the perfect set of friends ... Indeed your sense of judgement is perfect I guess .
    I believe that someone needs to take a step forward for friendship to occur ... Perphaps half of the time goes into thinking how should I approach xyz ... Or how should I initiate a conversation .....
    Well when it comes to the net perhaps I too have been lucky to find some real good friends Infact I have few back home friends from IL .. Who are my good friends now .
    All the best
    Tk
    Ramya

1 person likes this.
  6. devipriya

devipriya Senior IL'ite

Yup Thats a very vaild point, We are not Indians in Gulf Countries, Either Hindi, Madrassi or such regionalite... Every one in south India is considered as an Madrassi, I remember the movie Chak de India, where Andra & Tamil is differentiated...

When I asked "Are you from India?" to many in Foregin Countires, I never got an answer "yes, I am" But I alwyas got answers like; I am from Goa, I am from Chennai, I am from Andhra...

But When in India I asked many People Are you from America, They simply said yeas...

Seems its the difference in patriotism

2 people like this.
  7. devipriya

devipriya Senior IL'ite

Hi Ramya....

Yeah its true... I am proud that I have a good set friend across the world.. My phone book has names more that 2000 and the best part i can say is we never feel the gap even when we are talking after years... We do start from the same topic where we stopped.... I think I never assumed about my friends but asked openly when I doubt....

1 person likes this.
  8. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

The only way to have some friends is to start working. THis is true in the middle east at least. In muscat there is the Indian social club but I would have preferred a book club instead of watching kids dance to cheap Bollywood music.

1 person likes this.
  9. Garimajha26

Hey Devipriya...
    I completely agree with yu...coz it has hapnd with me too. If i met anyone in the lift or any place, n i happened to ask Indian?? i would get reply...Kerela, mumbai, goa...thats shocking...well your points are verie valid and it true patience and warn kind gesture with positive attitude is all that we need..
    thanx again dear..:_
    god bless u.. :)

10. devipriya

devipriya Senior IL'ite

Garima, you could try some friendship websites, not fb ororkut. You may try something like fropper or any regional site. Most of themare meant for making partners, but I have found many good friends over such sites.Be clear on your intentions in the very beginning. Don’t be desperate if yourinbox is flooded with offers for xes. Take it easy, simply block them. But youwill get some result of your expects… Be sure doing disclose your identityunless otherwise you feel the friend is genuine.
    Cheers
    Devi