1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to enroll my kid in a Christian Preschool/daycare?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by ilovesai, Dec 13, 2012.

1. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Hi ILs,

Is it ok to enroll my 4 year old kid in a Christian preschool? The fees is comparatively low when compared to regular daycares here.. Please help. I wonder why there is such a huge difference in the fees in regular preschools and the Christian ones. Please help.

Regards,

ILite

2. sarah1987

sarah1987 Junior IL'ite

Re: Is Christian School a good choice for preschoolers?

sorry dear.... i dont know

3. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Re: Is Christian School a good choice for preschoolers?

depends on what values you want your child to be exposed to in his/ her formative years...

the name itself shows that the nature of teaching might be quite parochial

why dont you check for a more secular institution?

4. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

It's perfectly okay. I think the fee is low because it's subsidized by the church? Not sure if there are other reasons. Talk to others who send their children there.

Are you wondering because you are not a Christian? I am a Hindu and I went to a Christian missionary school. That didn't "convert" me into a Christian. But it helped me understand God is one. It taught me religious tolerance...i am as excited about Christmas as I will be about diwali and dushera. There are no temples near where I live. But I know a church is just another temple. Are you getting the point?

1 person likes this.
  5. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

thanks for your response.

@Tulipz,

Thanks, Yes, its subsidized by the church. Hmm, I too feel the same. i also went to a christian convent in India. But in the US, I don't know why people prefer regular day cares than christian ones in spite of the difference in the fees. This is why I was thinking whether I am doing the right thing to my child. Financially, its a better option, the way they speak english is also good when compared to other regular daycares that is run by teachers (who are non-native english speakers)..

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

In the US, there are many 'fringe' churches with rather unsavory beliefs. First look into the denomination of the church, then research their origin, history and beliefs. You will then be able to make a more informed decision.

Most states in the US have regulations and licensing requirements. You will be able to find a website with information and checklists. Here is an example for NC. See:http://ncchildcare.dhhs.state.nc.us/pdf_forms/Checklistcenter.pdf
    Visit the center and evaluate it. Google "how to evaluate a daycare center" & also look for information specific to your state. You will find tons of information.

It may also be a good idea to find other Indian parents who send their kids there. Failing that, you could speak to any parents, whom you feel comfortable with, who send their kids there.

Try to be thoughtful and systematic in your approach.

7. Geetanjalikumar

Geetanjalikumar Gold IL'ite

Tulipz,

Very beautifully said and how true. Worship your religion and have tolerance towards other religions.

ilovesai,

I am not sure what your dilemma is about it, but I think it's absolutely fine.

8. anjanag

anjanag Platinum IL'ite

My son went to a church private school for 3 years. We didn't have any issues and his school was a hard core Roman Catholic school. The fees was less than non religious private school and I heard good opinion about the school, that's the reason why I sent him there. They had to learn religion every day and I encouraged my son to read all that as its good to know everything. He reads amarchitra katha at home, so it's all stories for him. He was little confused initially, but then he was fine. They had mass every Friday and many other religious activities. Seeing my son, my Pakistani Muslim neighbor also started sending his son there :)

9. coolwinds

coolwinds Platinum IL'ite

personally, i don't believe religion should have any place in a school setting. as for appreciation of other cultures/religions, the home environment is as important in inculcating these values. that was how it was for us.

having said that, sokanasanah has great advice if you are inclined towards this preschool.

10. ilovesai

ilovesai Silver IL'ite

Hi dear ILs,

Thank you so much. I visited the school today. I liked the way she spoke, the language is what I mean here (the right way of speaking english).. Here , in most of the day care centers, they have an indian or spanish teacher (who can't even speak the language properly) but they take so much money towards the fees. My child is used to speaking the mother tongue at home and she is not very fluent when it comes to talking in english.. So I am very concerned about it, thats why i started looking for christian schools (the lesser cost too)..

I visited the school today. The teacher/director kept talking to me but she didn't even bother to talk to my kid. She didn't even ask my daughter's name. I visited the class, there was only one Indian child, who was sitting alone and doing some art work. All the other kids (whites and others) were sitting together. The toys were very less. My daughter didn't like the teacher as she didn't speak a word to her. I guess I shouldn't opt for this school.

The other school that I have in mind is a private day care (run by Chinese). They have an Indian teacher, who takes good care of the kids, talks well, but she is not good at speaking english. My kid likes the class, lots of indian kids in the class, lots of toys, activities, she liked the teacher too. So I am in a confusion whether to go for the one that my daughter likes without worrying about the teacher. Please help.

Thanks,

a Sai devotee.