1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is It Normal Or A Matter Of Concern?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by SGBV, Mar 21, 2022.

1. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My son has just reached 11. He has always been an active child, who met all his milestones on time.
    He is clever, very handsome, stylish and conduct himself very well.
    He has always been above average at school when he was in Sri Lanka. In fact, he has even pushed himself way too much at several occasions to be the topper, and gold medalists in certain subjects. He showed great skills in speech & presentations, especially public speaking & reciting English poems at inter-school level competitions back home.
    He also showed so much interest in astronomy & watches a lot of youtube videos on astronomy off late, especially after this covid break.

However, since the past couple of months, especially after coming to abroad he shows physical & mental differences which are apparent.
    Like, he doesn't speak or interact much with us at home. Doesn't play much with his sister, but always find happiness with his phone, or TV or alone.
    Doesn't show interest in Education. Still following on-line schooling from home, but he lacks interest. I thought they may be the signs of teenage, and left it at that.

But what worries me the most is his changed body language and behavior.

He pays so much attention on cleanliness these days. Wants to wash his body each time after peeing/pooping.
    Sanitize doors, chairs and sometimes his own cloths and always suspects of covid or germs in everywhere. Signs of OCD at its peak.
    He doesn't remove his masks outside even if there are no people. If he is forced to remove, he keeps it away from his body, and act as if he has touched an untouchable.

His weird body language, like keeping hands away from the body (if he believes there are germs) or adjusting his cloths, and wearing masks imitates of a mentally retarded child. Sorry for using the word, but this is what I see whenever I see him with such behavior.

Besides that, he also shows social issues. Stopped talking with his Sri lankan friends on whatsapp. He doesn't wanna interact with any peers here either.
    Honestly, he doesn't have a friend right now. He doesn't show interest in talking to his cousins either.
    He feels extremely shy to talk or interact with others. Doesn't show leadership qualities unlike before.

Overall, these 6 months have changed him completely.

Of course he is inside home most of the times here. Having no friends, no play outside, and no school can have a serious impact on a kid. He is growing & teenage could be another issue.
    Covid fear and all the talks at home related to covid may have had an impact in his cleanliness too.
    But, comparatively, he shows all these negative sings than his younger sister and feels mentally detached from the family off late.

Is it normal?
    Am I overacting?
    Do I need to check with a Dr?

Kindly advice

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. AppuMom

AppuMom Gold IL'ite

Looks like he is showing early signs of puberty coupled with new place anxiety.My son used to take bath for hours at that age...later I realized he was getting hairy on his private part and voice change and so many other body transformations..He too was particular about certain clothes and used to make me so wild with his habits.I got him ' Just for boys' book and then used to talk a lot about teen issues and puberty..it was a tough year..so hang on your boy is growing and please help him

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Thanks & your post relieves me a lot.
    I grew up with my brother, but he was just a year younger to me. At this age, I was very sure that my mom had tough time handling him too.
    These days, I am rarely at home due to work. I come back home very late & tired, but all I hear from mom & DD is complains about son.

I have asked my H to keep an eye on him, and if possible try to relate to his teen time problems with his.

Of course, like any teen I understand it is important to provide him positive attention these days.

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Your son is coping with a huge life change in somewhat abnormal times as well as dealing with the start of puberty. He is dealing with this stress in his own way.
    Try to enroll him in some sports classes and take him to places where he can meet kids of his age. Even going as a family to the playground and kicking a ball around or shooting hoops will be beneficial for his moods.
    Have the schools started in-person in your area? Summer is soon approaching and there will be all kinds of camps and activities coming up, so he will have a chance to socialize and make new friends.

5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

SGBV,
    He is aware that things are changing with him. He’s also probably unsure of how to deal with it all. As a starting point buy a couple of books that daddy and son can go through and understand puberty. That will open the door for him to be able to open up to his Dad. He should feel comfortable talking about puberty and this is a good opening for that. Some books that I found from Amazon(buy the equivalent in your country):

Guy Stuff: The Body Book for Boys https://www.amazon.com/dp/1683370260?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

He’s a growing boy. He needs a ton of physical activity. Online school and WhatsApp friends don’t make up for the playground and running around with friends. Can you look for some sports classes in your area? Things are back in action here. If your area isn’t opening up, maybe he can go to a nearby rec center and shoot some hoops with his dad. That should help him meet others his age.
    Also buy a couple of bikes for dad and son and have them bike a little.
    These activities will not only help your son but also your husband who is a little under the weather. In the guise of helping your son, he will get some activity too.

Your mom maybe meaning well but imagine a well meaning grandmom and pesky little sister trying to browbeat you into doing things when you are 11. I would go lock myself up too. 11 is the age I didn’t want anything to do with my sibling, not even go together to school. It was a burden and an embarrassment. Don’t push him to do things with her all the time. Give him his time and he can involve himself in family activities when you are in the house, playing board games together or watching something on tv together.

I’ve noticed there are no subsidiaries to physical activities. Especially to break the device and tv habits that boys seem to gravitate towards.

All of his obsessions etc, it’s probably the idle mind working overtime. At this age, it’s best not to give him too much of alone time to think about unwanted things. I hope he finds his friends soon. Once he starts playing with his peers, he will be much more confident.

Good luck with everything. Don’t worry, you have so much in your plate already. Take care of yourself too!

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

@MalStrom & @Laks09

Thanks for your thoughtful responses & the references.

I had a discussion with my H last night, and proposed all the great suggestions.
    We are planning 1 month vacation to Sri Lanka next month. After that, hopefully kids will be back to School & camps as summer starts.
    Also, we will make sure, the little guy gets the needful positive attention, and time off from the computer to go out and interact with others very soon.

Also, I have advised my mom not to criticize the child, especially before others even if that is family.
    At this age, he needs positivity and support. Not negativity, even though I clearly understand her concerns for him.

I will also make sure, I keep an extra eye on this child at this stage to assist him cope with the changes that happens inside and outside of him.

I was brutally honest while I typed my concerns here. But I have never shown my inner feelings before the child or the family as I know it can damage his self esteem badly.

Thanks much for your continuous support. I am feeling relieved now.

Laks09 and MalStrom like this.
  7. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@SGBV - I just came to say this:
    Your son is entering in the puberty while away from his peers and needs someone to show him that all these changes are normal. I talked to my son’s pediatrician during his annual check up (he is 9) for recommendation for books, she recommended these 2:
    Sex is a funny word
    And
    Guy stuff: the body book for boys
    We read these together and he had so many questions. I am glad we started talking early and he feels more comfortable about asking any questions he might have.
    Also, use proper words for body parts and answer everything as best as you can without ever making it sound like it was an inappropriate question.

SGBV likes this.