1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is It My Fault Completely

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by ILUser07, Mar 15, 2018.

1. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I'm here with a new conflict. As you all know my DH anger issues, my dilemma and lack of self confidence.
    After I resumed my job after the break, I decided to have some savings of my own and discussed with Dh. He ruled it out as a joke in first and agreed later as I was serious. My parents booked a site as short term investment and did the down payment. As I saw it as prospective opportunity, I said, I will invest in it and apply for loan for the remaining amount. I said, I will resell in 6 months and take the profit. I didn't communicate this directly to my Dh but my dad mentioned this to him few days back. Dh came and asked me very sweetly if I am taking that plot. I said, i am still thinking as the EMI might be high and due to the uncertainity of the visa, if I have to quit job, I dont want that burden. He said, why do you worry about all those when I am there. I was surprised by that and didn't have any conversation after that.
    Yesterday somehow during conversation with my parents he came to know that I am in the process of applying loan. With the events in my home, I somehow missed communicating this. I am not justifying but it just didnt strike my mind. Not that I want to do it secretly.
    Dh got pissed off and started saying that we are doing all politics on his back. Didnt inform him on this big decision. Started blaming my parents that they are creating disturbances in our home, they are money minded etc etc.
    Today he decided that I cannot apply for loan.
    I am not bothered about losing the deposit or not buying the plot I wanted. But when I and my parents wanted to discuss that his behavior needs to be changed, things turned out in his favor. We are at fault and dont know what to say. It doesn't make him right but he will highlight our mistakes in every argument in coming years.

Similar Threads
    1. ARIKA
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. HHj
      Replies:
      Views:
    3. satchitananda
      Replies:
      Views:
  2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Hello OP. This is more of an inner conflict, than an outer one. It sounds like you are feeling guilty for going behind your husband's back to set up some security, before you make any irreversible decisions about your marriage. I get it, since I was doing the same thing.

Considering all the stresses your husband has caused for both you and your parents, I think you will have to readjust your morals for just a bit. You do not need to inform him of your financial plans, and these plans are not the reason why your marriage is on the rocks. The problems are from before, and you are setting up your safety plan. Do not feel ashamed or flustered because of this - you are not wrong for doing something like this. I will advise you, going forward, tell your parents NOT to share this type of information with your husband, at least to prevent present upheavals and guilt-trips.

Your husband does not acknowledge that he has an anger problem, while it is apparent to you and your parents. Even you might forget it occasionally, when he is in a good mood, and returns to his loving husband phase. Unless your husband is working to save this marriage, then you don't owe him an explanation.

Sandycandy likes this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

If you are making your own money how is he going to stop you from getting a loan?

Sandycandy likes this.
  4. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

This is a classic example of gaslighting ( look it up if you have not heard about it.

5. ILUser07

ILUser07 Silver IL'ite

I looked up and this word describes my situation best. I always give up in arguments, no perception of my own. Always think everything through his eyes to check if anything will trigger him off. After 9 years, I am unable to think on my own. I feel confused on simple things. Even if I prepare a lot before talking to him, he easily turns everything around and puts complete blame on me. He has a hitlist of my and my parents mistakes in his head and uses them very wisely to shut me. Unfortunately, the things are being added up to that for his own benefit.

Now he is like, what if I start buying properties without your knowledge? You will learn your lesson. I dont have to tell you anything from now on. etc etc

Sandycandy likes this.
  6. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    In this case I feel mistake is on ur side.no matter whose money is that.money. Will come and go but basic respect and understanding is important in life.u should havecommuicated this to him and u both should involve before taking a first step...

If u do like this automatically he will do something else like this...this is not good for ur relationship...I seriously wonder how ur parents didn’t check with u about communicating this with ur husband his wish and all?

Try to apologize to ur husband anD stop this project .buy a new one muatully.

7. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

OP, go ahead with ur plans and invest.scheming with parents and doing everything in secret is a standard compliant of husbands.its a form of keeping us under their thumb.dont budge. For any major purchase or decisions u will hear the same song.make a firm mind and go ahead.see to it that its only in ur name..not going ahead won't stop him from thinking the same.good luck.

Sandycandy likes this.
  8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

While you are married, whatever investment you make, will still be joint marital property, even if it is under your name (unless it's under your parent's name). If you feel guilty that you are making financial decisions without him, don't. You had already talked to him about keeping your account separate and he accepted. Regardless of the separation, he still has a share of it. This separation just gives you some autonomy in the future. Signing for a loan is a big decision, and I can see why it might have perturbed him, but you had no intention of keeping that investment secret - it was accidental. Apologize for the mistake, but continue to find ways to gain some financial independence. Separate bank account, separate credit card, separate investments (that don't include a loan) etc. Those things are fine, and he cannot scrutinize you for it - AND your conscience will be clear.

9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

You have nothing to apologize for . Your husband with his temper tantrums is a bully . He is able to manipulate you easily and hence has gotten away with behavior that is unacceptable to most women. Don’t get into a habit of believing everything he says, your self esteem has taken a big hit as it is.

You are in a emotionally abusive marriage with a unstable husband. You should strengthen your individual financial position, if it means investing in property without husband knowing so be it.

The priority now for you is to make sure he seeks help for his anger issues. Don’t be carried away by the guilt that he is trying to induce , this will continue all your life unless you stop it right away. 9 years is a long time to be scared, guilty, unhappy and confused . Take charge of your life and emotions right now .

10. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I feel like such a big financial thing you can't hide from husband it's not correct. Imagine if it was the other way round and your husband was buying properties without your knowledge would you be cool about it?

But then, I don't know your history with your husband and whether he is good or bad or controlling and maybe he did some things to make you feel financially insecure.

Better way is to keep him in confidence but use diplomacy skills to convince him that you have to do this, and it is a good idea. Unless you have given up on this marriage, it's not good to keep such big things secret.
    Also, you are having communication gap with your parents that's why they revealed to him.You need to sort it out first.