Is It Bad If You Don't Like To Cook?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Jan 22, 2022.

1. aks12

aks12 Bronze IL'ite

I guess at the end of the day we emulate the behaviors we saw around us growing up. :) I think there is a certain joy in seeing the people you love appreciate and enjoy the food you make! Definitely something special there. :)

anika987 likes this.
  2. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

NO, we dont have to feel bad for not enjoying cooking and infact it frees up time for other areas in life that we chose to spend time on.

if I take an average out of all the phases I have gone through since I got married, I can say I have an average enthusiasm and expertise at cooking. Initially I was trying to learn and perfect the dishes and was encouraged by family and friends. Then comes the phase of motherhood where you need to simplify the cooking and in fact cut down making elaborate dishes to save time and energy. Now, I am very good with basic home cooking and no so good at trying new recipes due to time constraints , kids not being open to some textures and spice levels... I also deliberately choose to stick to basic cooking to encourage my husband to spend more time in the kitchen on weekly basis. He for sure cannot arrange 3 meals for the kids daily but does lot of grilling, baking, buying groceries and meal prep for salads, soups etc..

I sometimes do feel guilty when I compare with other moms but I also tell myself that I do not have to beat myself up and can just be myself. My kids love the simple dal and chicken curry that I make and they dont differentiate simple vs complex dishes. I am teaching my son basics in the kitchen and hope he maintains the enthusiasm in future.

Mehana, anika987 and Rihana like this.
  3. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

I am glad that i have atleast some people who does not enjoy spending hours in the kitchen.
    I always prefer simple meals. I very rarely venture out to try new dishes.
    Earlier due to the peer pressure, i was trying out some dishes but that would be a disaster especially when somebody comes home for lunch.
    But then i realized that cooking is not my cup of tea. I stick to a few dishes which i am good at. I do prefer making fresh meals every day but i would always try and keep it simple.
    Few years back, i would go mad if i have to cook a north indian curry. Now, i have learnt a few and only make those curries.

4. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

OMG... this pertinent question has no one answer for me. haha...

I have surprised myself on occasions (in the recent past) when I have cooked single-handedly, elaborate 4 course meals for even 8 to 10 people. These have been twice or thrice till now though.

The times in the distant past when I entered the kitchen only when I or hubby started feeling hungry and then cooked innovative one pot meals with the ingredients found after rummaging through the fridge, are innumerable. :D

I mean I belong to the league of those unpredictable talented Indian Batsmen that on a good day, hit a six on the very first ball or score a straight duck on a bad day! haha