1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is ignorance bliss

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]“Ignorance is bliss” is the saying we heard several times in life. When someone faces health issues, someone who don’t know anything about the diseases have high hopes that they would recover soon from the health issues. Those who have access to the internet and are perfectly capable of searching the causes for their symptoms, feel very concerned about their health. If someone’s parents live in a village and if their son or daughter is living in the US, they will just hug them and bid goodbye without any worries about their travel. On the contrary, if the parents in live in a city and is fully familiar with travel difficulties, will worry about their children until they get back to their country of residence.

I have given two examples why ignorance is bliss. But is it true? The root cause of our problems in life is our ignorance. It is the knowledge that liberates us and makes us achieve bliss and not the ignorance. Ignorance is like darkness and the knowledge is like light. It is our ignorance that makes us believe that we are the body/mind, looks for divinity outside of us whereas it resides in us, makes us pursue our desires hoping that we will be satisfied and makes us feel attached to our family and possessions hoping that they are all permanent. All knowing and all powerful soul resides inside of us and it won’t allow us to delve in ignorance forever. Truly the knowledge resides inside of us and all we need to do is to make efforts for it to manifest with its full potential.

The very same mind that feels the world through our senses is perfectly capable of exploring the treasure inside of us. How do we make the mind to do that? We need to develop good thoughts and eliminate our bad thoughts. After that our good thoughts will have to be converted into actions. When we do such actions skillfully, selflessly and lovingly, they become habits. When they become habits, it becomes our character. We always talk about habits in a negative connotation as we associate them with our inhibitions. However, the good habits we develop formulate our good character. When our character shines with added luster, we become close to our Supreme Self and the divine knowledge flows like a stream. Divinity is saturated with Love, Righteousness, Truth, Peace and Non-violence. Our own Self is our friend, philosopher and guide. Let us learn to worship the divine being inside of us and begin to see the divinity inside of everyone around us.

Let us make sincere effort to remove the darkness by lighting the lamp. Let us go back to the two examples I have given in the first paragraph. True knowledge will make us accept the reality in life and teach us how to handle the situation rather than worrying about it. Our knowledge is not evaluated by how long we lived our life successfully but how we lived our life with great values. Steve Jobs was born to an unwed mother and was given for adoption to parents who believed to be well educated hoping that he would be educated. Even though his parents tried to educate him, he decided not to pursue his education instead preferred to pursue his deep rooted ambition. His vision became the world’s most successful company. Later he was diagnosed with terminal illness but he never stopped pursuing his vision until he became incapacitated by the dreaded disease and died. There are several role models living around us. When we face trial and tribulations, our character becomes stronger from those lessons like the gold melting and reshaping itself into a beautiful ornament. It is the character that gives us the power to handle life situations and it is the knowledge that liberates our soul.
    [/JUSTIFY]

13 people like this.

2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Viswa dear well said I agree with each and every point you have mentioned in your thread. There is always something to learn from your post. Before going to temple I saw this thread and wanted to give the first fb but was getting late. But surprising after I came back noone has given the first fb , so I got the opportunity to give the first fb.

Everything we learn from experience. True that we dont worry much about our close people going abroad because we know they have to go back there and now a days with modern technology we are able to be in touch with them and know their welfare. Whereas the people who are with us we have to worry that they come in time. If they are little late we get worried especially during rainy seasons here in Bombay travelling becomes very difficult.

Sometimes I feel it is better to be ignorant so that we need not get worried on petty things. Thanks for sharing about Steve

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vishwa,

Steve jobs example is really very good. These days we must know abotu our problems, rather than wish them away. We must be aware, and take action accordingly.Good one Vishwa.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  4. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

dear viswa sir,
    a nice snippet.
    yes.ignorance is bliss.
    if we know every thing what is there in the life?
    if we don't get any experiences,life will become totally bored.
    according to me our actions speak more than our words.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Viswamitra,

Let the light of knowledge dispel the darkness of ignorance. "Tamasoma jyotir gamaya". I suppose in the context of the knowledge of the atma this holds absolutely true.

But in the examples you gave, I still wonder if ignorance is bliss. I mean isn't it better not to know than to know and sit worrying about something you can do nothing about - unless it is something you can change for the better e.g. a treatable illness. "Ara vaidyan allai kollum" (a half-baked doctor will kill a person) is I feel a wonderful proverb warning us of the dangers of half baked knowledge. In such a case an ignorant person would probably be better off than that quack. Or take for example another situation - it is probably for a good reason that we are not told when exactly we are going to die because in this case knowledge could be more harmful than ignorance. We might go off into a negative frame of mind and not achieve half of what we would in the ignorant state we are in.

So I guess it really depends on what knowledge we are talking about.

3 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Viji Akka,

It is always exciting to get your first FB for any of my posts. It is very kind of you to say that there is always something to learn from my posts. Well, the feeling is mutual and I learn so much from your posts as well. Having lived in Mumbai myself, I understand your concern about your husband returning safely especially during rainy season. The Lord is always with him as he is so much service oriented. He is definitely a Yogi and will be always looked after by the Lord.

Viswa

7. Viswamitra

Dear Kamalji,

You are absolutely right, my friend. If we don't know and remain ignorant, it is much harder to face it. If we learn about and accept it, it becomes easier to manage mentally.

Thanks for visiting this post.

Viswa

8. Viswamitra

Dear Radha,

Obviously, I am not saying that we need to know everything as it is difficult for anyone to achieve that level of knowledge unless he or she becomes Sthithaprajna. All I am saying is we should not intend to be ignorant. Sometimes, we learn from our own experience and sometimes we learn from other sources including experiences of others. Unless we attempt to seek knowledge, our life will not be interesting. The happiness comes from learning something new everyday and life will be boring if we don't.

Viswa

9. Viswamitra

Dear Satchi,

Why do we need to separate us from Atma? We are that divine being and that thought only makes us much more knowledgeable.

I have a different view on gaining knowledge about our own health or health of our kith and kin. For example, if you have not learned what your mother is suffering from, it might be difficult for you to understand why she is not eating when you request her to eat. Now, you are fully knowledgeable and is able to step into her shoes to recognize her issues. It makes life easier for you despite the pain of watching her sufferings.

I will give you another example, My grandmother lived in a village all her life. She was reporting sever headache for 3 years and she was taking headache medicine and went to sleep every night. My grandfather was okay with it and never bothered to give her medical attention. My mother found it not acceptable and asked her to move to Chennai to have a thorough medical check up. She was diagnosed with Lukeimia and died in 6 months.

Since we all live in the cities, we don't understand how hard it is for someone living in the village to silently go through a dreaded disease without any medical attention. Once she knew about her disease, she was at peace and spent her rest of the period (i.e. six months) with her children and grandchildren showering her love and asking them not to worry about her departure.

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  10. BHAVNAM6

BHAVNAM6 Platinum IL'ite

My dear Viswa,

Lord Krishna explains us in Bhagavad Gita, It is essential for us to focus in a progressive journey. The only option to be successful in terms of our physical, emotional or spiritual development is to accept any challenges get into our path.HE likes HIS children to be brave and bold hence no attitude of escapism is recommended by HIM.It means how with calm and composed attitude we encounter our battle.

I was reading In Gitamrutam,Rev.Pandurang Shastri explains,For instance,If person A is very quiet, does his job everyday,gets home, do not get into trouble having a same routine.It is not considered a real journey,when you do not have an attitude of growing in your journey.Bravery leads to our goal.
    I would love to repost my last quote from Gita...
    ..."What does the Gita say? It says, `Stand up. Don't give up. Do. Act. Don't despair. You are not alone. I am with you. Come on, face life. that the Gita is not just an abstruse or esoteric philosophical text, but an assurance of help and hope. It preaches a positive, affirmative attitude to life. It uplifts and encourages. That is how the Gita is to be read."

Love,
    Bhavna

2 people like this.