1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Is God the best programmer ever?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by BharadwajThiru, Jun 30, 2013.

1. BharadwajThiru

BharadwajThiru Silver IL'ite

As a computer programmer, I have written a lot of code over the years. As described in Outliers, I have had over 10,000 hours of coding experience, which, I guess, makes me an outlier!

As I look at all the coding I have written, I realize that a lot of it has to do with defining consequences when certain conditions are met. Initially, coding started out in a single dimension. Either something was “off” or it was “on”. It was all binary. As it began to evolve we introduced the “If.., then.., else” clauses and then moved on to “Case statements”, that could deal with multiple conditions. Over time, we introduced Time to our coding. We all remember the Y2K era, when every company was scrambling to avoid a catastrophe! With the advent of mobile devices we have now started to code based on location, GPS, Near Field Communication and geo fencing introduced code that would behave differently based on where we were! If we consider the backward compatibility of operating systems and other software, we are looking back to prior generations. Looking back we have now moved from a single dimension to perhaps the 6th dimension.

Comparing this to life, we all know that life defines consequences for the choices we make. Is it possible then, that Life is really a huge program that considers even more dimensional coding? Could it be an infinite loop of “nested if statements”? We have perhaps not discovered the most intricate loops and that explains the new discovery in medicine and other fields to this day.

It has been said that smoking is injurious to health. However, we still see smokers outliving folks who have lead a “clean” life and folks who’ve made healthy choices. A lot of studies have been performed on death and its causes. Would we learn more if we spent more time on life and how some people live up to a 116 years? For this, we may not have the data to look back several generations, as we did not have the means to document health and life history until recently. Perhaps, in the future, we could know enough to create a “perfect” humanoid!

At a recent seminar it was shared that on an average an adult makes close to 35,000 decisions a day! Each of the decision has multiple choices and each of those in turn lead to specific consequences. A lot of the decisions may be simple; such as where do I sit, do I fold my legs up, which lane should I take when driving, how far should I open the kitchen faucet, how warm should the water be for my bath, which music or song should I listen to, which channel should I turn the tv to, etc. Then there are other decisions, simple but with varying levels of consequences. For example, how much chocolate should I eat, ho much alcohol or soda should I consume, should I spend all day in front of the tv, should I spend a lot of time in the sun, etc. Each of these over time can lead to long-term impacts and makes us unique.

As we learn more about the brain, we have realized that it controls the entire body. It has deployed monitoring “agents” across the body that keeps communicating with it to provide key metrics that it can act on. For example, it may receive a signal that a surface the hand touches is too hot and the brain sends an impulse to immediately withdraw the hand. If a burn occurs, the blood flow is reduced to that part of the body to prevent pain. The brain commands the creation of chemicals to fight the threat.

Today’s programs do pretty much the same. Companies such as Microsoft, BMC, Compucom and a whole lot of others have created agents that reside on servers to alert the “listener” that something is wrong or some threshold has been breached. Based on these messages the “listener” takes specific actions.

The concept of “Internet of Things” (IoT) takes it to a whole new level. Several “brain” centers communicate with each other to create a network. This is the same as relationships between humans. At close proximity or sometimes even over a distance, humans are able to “connect” with each other. It is said that if one stares at someone else in a crowd, eventually the person being “watched” will turn around and connect. There are perhaps radio signals that we are yet unaware of.

All these experiences make me feel that God is certainly the best programmer. In fact he has written a program that is self-learning and evolving. Hence there is no end to it. This too has now pervaded the computers. Several computer programs are now able to self learn based on actions taken in the past.

Computer programming is nothing but discovering the work of “God”. It is a religion. Do you agree?

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Completely agree
    GOD is the bestest programmer :Computer Typing:

There is a code for everything in the universe like the golden ratio???
    The value of this ratio is close to 1.618.This isn't that impressive on its own. Until you realise that this ratio is the key to everything from encrypting computer data, to the numbers of spirals on a sunflower head, our own limbs and Dan brown says its because of this ratio we find the eyes of Mona Lisa so pleasing.

So god says
    IF : a human being is well behaved
    THEN : send him to heaven after death
    ELSE: send him to hell

IF : a man smokes too much
    THEN : spoil his lungs and give him cancer
    ELSE: cancer can wait

Okay so he must using so many IF THEN ELSE statements in his computer.

Your brought back some memories of the first computer that i saw ever in my life.When i was in grade 1 my Dad used to take us to show the computer in his office every sunday.I remember the game it was a parachute man and gun game.Few pixels were all it needed....need i say the handheld PSP with which my son plays today has better resolution and higher pixel value compared to that game which we used to play in my Dad's office.

I agree to what you said about telepathy too....i believe it happens...people do experience it.
    It might take us EONS to decode the codes of this universe...the day it happens...we will be the GOD....

Luvd your snippet :thumbsup:

5 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Extremely interesting and to use a very cliche word "thought-provoking". Though I know as much of computer programming as a baby knows about the universe, I am sure it is a really fascinating field if one can understand at least the basics of it. A little bit of knowledge of any field eventually leads us to the realization of how much there is to be learned and how little we actually know as of today. Thanks for a very different and very interesting read. :-D

2 people like this.
  4. Quebec

Quebec Platinum IL'ite

I would like to disagree that god is a good programmer......

God is average at best.......... Just like me and learns by making mistakes...... So it is hit and trials...

Everyprogrammer builds and runs their code hundreds of times before actually making it work a single time that tells them that mission accomplished........

But who suffers in those hit and trials!!

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/pujas-prayers-and-slokas/222655-restore-faith-in-you.html

1 person likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Bharadwaj,

Thank you for your wonderful perspective of how life works like a program consisting of multiple lines of code. In my humble opinion, the Universal Absolute has provided us all the tools such as the hardware (the body) and the mind (the code generator) and intellect (system testing). We are given a choice to generate the code we like using the code generator at a young age. If we make serious mistake in the architecture or detailed design, the life changes forever and if we make right choices at the young age, everything works well. When we develop momentum or speed, at that stage even a slight change makes a big change in life.

The interesting aspect in our life is the Universal Absolute has given everything we need like body, mind and intellect to function for a long period of time with very little maintenance. However, He left us to decide to generate our own code to determine our course. That is the free will we are given. If we choose right living as our choice, we will focus our attention on our applications and keep refining it forever during its life cycle. If we choose to pursue materialistic things, we will begin using our applications for fulfilling our desires and in the process, fail to update the system for new requirements. Keeping our system clean to our satisfaction is as important as impressing others with our codes.

Viswa

5 people like this.
  6. BharadwajThiru

BharadwajThiru Silver IL'ite

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond with your likes and comments. It is really great to hear your different perspectives.
    Dinny - Thank you for pointing out the Golden Ratio. THat just shows, HE is a Mathematician as well:)
    Satchidananda - You are so right - The more we learn the more we realize how little we know!
    Quebec - Perhaps you are right! The code HE wrote has gone amok and the infrastructure has run out to support it!
    Viswamitra - Really great perspective on the "Free will".
    I feel really honored to hear from such elite members.

1 person likes this.
  7. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

Hey I would say gods programmes are already set and we are ony moving according to his programs

1 person likes this.
  8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear BhardwajThiru,

What an excellent piece of writing! I read this sometime ago when Dinny brought it to FP forum and nominated. I was fascinated at the way you applied your programming experience to life itself!

I read it again today and was doubly fascinated!! I have no clue about computer programming! Apart from using my computer to connect with friends, family and world, I never know why it throws some little windows with messages at me!! Same happens when the Greatest Programmer up there throws some unexplainable happenings in my way!

Loved the way you have drawn the parallels. I think you have surely been impressionable for our Viswamitra has come out with an equally mind blogging post, all thanks to you! :) :thumbsup

L, Kamla

9. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Bharadwaj,
    Only today I read your thought provoking and excellent snippet. The fbs were also too good and enjoyed reading them. Is there any other Master programmer other than GOD? Is there any other brain which could out beat human brain? Humans are the best creation of God with the sixth sense. If only they could take advantage of their human birth and use it for merging with the ONE and ONLY ABSOLUTE how nice it will be!
    PS

3 people like this.
  10. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Great analogy ! Lucid narration that reaches even a non-techie like me.

Not just computer programming, the deeper one goes into any branch of science, especially ( quantum)physics , one ends up wandering into trails that lead to the mysterious being called GOD .