1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Is eating cooked raw rice(pacharisi) good for health?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by tinku, Feb 25, 2011.

1. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Hi frends
    One of my friend's family consumes pacharisi (raw rice) instead of white ponni rice. I want to know whether it is good for health.

We use pacharisi for making pongal dishes and kolukattai and some others. Is it good to consume everyday instead of the polished white rice?

2. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

I don't know what exactly you mean by raw rice, but polished white rice is about the worst kind of rice for health. Everything good about rice is removed/polished away and you're left with just the starch.

3. cinderella06

cinderella06 Platinum IL'ite

Is there any difference between raw rice and white rice..we take raw rice as regular food for years and its good for health..i have not heard about white rice..and poni is the brand..they have both raw rice and boiled rice..

4. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

You know what, I just realized... OP could mean, new rice. I remember hearing that freshly harvested rice is used to make Pongal for Makara Sankranthi. I believe that it causes digestive issues. Aged rice is supposed to be better. But white rice is a scourge of today, the industrialized food processing that removes all that is good from a grain - white rice, white flour... makes the grains last longer because there is less for fungus to grow on...

Parboiled rice could be white or brown, as far as I know.

All of that preached, I don't always eat brown rice myself. I am getting my family used to it slowly. I try to give my daughter brown rice most of the time.

5. anukv

anukv Bronze IL'ite

yes brown rice is way more good for health than the polished white rice....i think every one should learn the importance and switch to brown rice