1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Irritating MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Gae3, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Alildream

Alildream Gold IL'ite

Gae3 your mil is definitely trying to irritating you! First and foremost don't show her that her tricks are working. Act like you are not irritated at all...then play her game. Start giving her advice on anything and everything. Eg don't hold remote like this it will strain your wrist, don't sit here as it is affecting your posture, don't sleep like this you will get back ache etc etc. catch her in the kitchen. Don't cut veggies holding the knife like this, use THIS spoon ONLY for measurement....trust me you will enjoy this to the core! if she is irritating you, you most naturally are in your rights to irritate her! :twisted:
    My mil used to bug me too...she used to talk me in broken Hindi imitating a school girl and she would take my name in a sing song manner which used to drive me crrrrrrrrraaaaaazzzy and she knew I was going nuts! So I started talking to her like the way she talks to me! Soon dh joined me! We both would imitate her and laugh. Just 2 days later she started talking normally! Moral of the story: Irritate the mil who irritates you! gigglingsmiley

5 people like this.
  2. Anamika99

Anamika99 Gold IL'ite

even if she does that...keeps askign her question..if not on kitchen...just other task related...

if she mentions memory loss explicitly, right away ask question on something she would be tempted to answer...say "in my wedding what did xyz gave to us?"
    ask 3-4 question like that and say "no worries mom, u r unnecessarily worried about ur memory...it is just workign fine "

3 people like this.
  3. nb25

nb25 Gold IL'ite

Follow your heart, and run out of the house.

But only after giving your MIL written instructions on how to cook the veggies (with the minutest details).

Since she says she can't just sit and eat, she has no option but to cook or eat her words . Give her a cheery - Thank you, Maa. I really appreciate your help. Ask her to talk to DH if she has any doubts (which she can't because you have mentioned every little detail).

1 person likes this.
  4. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

She maybe irritating you but let me tell you one thing, my grandmother lost her sense of reasoning after a certain age. She would ask silly questions over and over again. If we ask why she is asking again, she would say she doesn't remember. Sometimes she remembers some facts and those she never forgets. We used to feel irritated too but it was Alzheimer's disease. Just bear with her. It might be old age.

1 person likes this.
  5. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

lolz! ur comment reminds me of dennis the menance, like how mr.wilson always wants to make sure that dennis is engaged in something so tht he does not ruin mr.wilson's peace of mind !!

2 people like this.
  6. yellowtweety

yellowtweety New IL'ite

That's really weird and irritating. She's either trying to irritate you or has lost her mind.

1 person likes this.
  7. rohinipriya21

rohinipriya21 Silver IL'ite

Confused. Start answering before she puts a question. Or else do it other way.
    Hand over onions and with a smile face, pls chop oninons finely.Tomato very finely.

8. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

dear gueshoo,
    i tried your method,when i say whatever your wish, again same question is asked..
    ex: mil: shal i put idly plates to wash?...
    me: how ever u wish mum?
    mil: thats wat...shal i put fr wash?
    me- Witsend

9. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Thank u all lovely ladies for helping me.
    do share any instance where your mil was irritating u..or u faced any issues and how u handled.

10. Gae3

Gae3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

i want to add that when she does things i used to appreciate, the moment i did so,
    she wud become proud peacock n stat to put me down u dont knw anything this and that, also little if i be friendly she will enter my room open cupboards check everything,
    in initial yrs of wedding she has also gone to extent of trying my dresses.so i am always strict and serious else she would go overboard, she doesnt behave like her age.