1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

iron does not convert into haemoglobin

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Vitima, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Vitima

Vitima New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I am new here, joined just today, hoping to find use and be of use as well :). My father aged 68 has a peculiar problem, his haemoglobin levels come down to nearly 4 every 2 months. Nucleus bone scan, bone marrow test all turned out normal. Having iron tablets, blood transfusions do not help. After a transfusion his haem levels go up to 10 and gradually come down again. Iron accumulates in his bodyas a result of iron tablets, but that does not convert into haemoglobin. Can anyone help by guiding if sidhha/ayurvedic medicines could help?

My dad doesn't have the usual symtoms of fatigue, breathlessness although his haemoglobin levels are so low, which puzzles the haematologist. He is otherwise a normal healthy person with no bad habits.

Anyone who has heard of similar instances please kindly guide!
    Vitima

2. Vitima

Vitima New IL'ite

Hi nani199,

Thanks so much for the reply! The problem with my dad is his body absorbs iron from the tablet Danogen that he takes now, but it does not turn into haemoglobin. Both the tab and syp you suggested also contains iron, which has acuumulated a lot in his body, 3 times more than the required qty. Anyway thank for the refer, I will ask his doctor regarding this.

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

I am a similar case to an extent. i have anaemia..where my hb count drops upto 7 and 8. i get swelling in my ankles and fatigue is there. any combination of iron tablets by trial and run does not help in upping. if it ups for a month or two it used to drop back to 7.. now after menopause, i maintain at 9 i know it is still anemic but better than 7..

i am told wheat grass definitely helps with hb count. i have a particular mineral deficiency which makes iron absorption very difficult. after breaking his head my cardiologist got blood work done and we found this.

i try to keep my diet rich in iron, keeping my fingers crossed.

4. Vaishu81

Vaishu81 Senior IL'ite

hi vitima,
    just check out this works out for you. there is a food supplement called spirulina which helps to increase your hb count by normally working with your body system. it will not cause any side effects doctors in general will not be knowing this. myself i have been taking this during my pregnancy time since dr. told my hb count will go down and now i am giving it to my daughter from the age of 1 mixed in her juices. she drinks that. If you are willing and let me know which place do you reside i can tell where u can get this product because this product is not sold in any pharmacy.I can bet you on this product.

5. Vaishu81

Vaishu81 Senior IL'ite

Hello Shanvy,
    There is a good solution for your problem. There is a food supplement called spirulina that will help you getting out of this problem. It has helped me out very well and gave good result. I am mother of 3yr old daughter and i am giving it to her daily so that it gives her all the nutrients which her body requires. If you take this continuously your hb count will increase and your anemia will run away. If you are interested let me know i will tell you where you can get this since it is not sold in any pharamacy.

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

vaishu, i know spirulina, and when it was first produced my husband was working for in the co that did produce it. i am talking of 19 years back. it is not new product to me.

7. Vaishu81

Vaishu81 Senior IL'ite

Hi shanvy,
    are you talking about any indian company?i am talking about a malaysian company. if you know you can start taking it.It will give you good result.

8. fellowblogger

fellowblogger Silver IL'ite

Hi Vitima, I hope your dad gets better soon..i don't have much of advice for your dadz problem as I am not aware of it... all I can tell you is, vit C is very important for obsorption of iron....thatz what they advice in US, to drink orange juice after taking iron pills n not take calcium for sometime.....

tk care

9. It is incredible that your dad does not have the symptoms of fatigue etc, even with a Hb of 4 g. When a 68 years old man's Hb falls again and again to 4 g, it is not a good sign.

He needs to be monitored regularly for ruling out any major illnesses. In old age the fall in Hb can be a symptom of something important also.

Don't get scared, my point is, he needs to be under periodical monitoring by his doctor, which I think, he must be doing already.

10. durvan

durvan Bronze IL'ite

first confirm the cause for the anemia then go for the treatment...better to go for natural treatment like Ayurveda for maintenance purpose, consult some good Ayurvedic practitioners near our town , it don't have side effect and might get good result along with this eat all kind of vegetables and fruits which help in increasing HB in blood..