1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

IRon and calcium deficient - help

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by amnilakshmi, Jun 19, 2012.

1. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

Hi all,I was feeling very tired to the extent that i could not even get up from bed. My doc asked me to check my iron levels and came to the conclusion that i am iron deficient. Actually after my baby birth i didnt take any tablets while all my frnds are taking iron and calcium tablets for nearly 1 year after the baby birth. I have started taking iron tablets now and feel ok. But i am always irritated and sad with all negative emotions. I thot this could be coz of pms so i searched in internet and found that calcium rich food can solve this issue. I also tried testing this one day when i was very much moody and it had some positive effect of lifting my mood. But i am scared to take it daily. Is it a good idea to take calcium daily ? as recently for past 2-3 weeks i see whenever i donot take this tablet (calcium) i am very upset ...

2. rathi

rathi Bronze IL'ite

Hello Amnilakshmi,

Not sure how many months it has been since your baby birth, but just to let you know it is very common to have mood swings, feel down/depressed post delivery. These are post natal symptons and are mainly due to the pregnancy hormones getting back to the normal levels. These normally exists since baby birth to almost a year for some ladies.

I doubt if the mood swings or negative emotions are due to calcium deficiency. However, feeling tired and weak are definitely due to iron deficiency. You may want to continue your pre-natals itself (for they have 100% iron needed) or iron supplements in particular. Similarly, daily calcium is a must for ladies. Yes you may take it daily regularly, especially if your feeding your baby with mother's milk. Also, when you take calcium make sure it has Vit D added to it, or take Vit D supplements along with Calcium. Vit D ensures the calcium you take is absorbed completely into your body for your bone health.

Good luck and feel better.

3. amnilakshmi

amnilakshmi Gold IL'ite

hey its almost 4 years after my kids birth and i still have the hormonal imbalance... can i have it still ?

4. tsweety

tsweety Silver IL'ite

Hi Amnilakshmi,

Tiredness is only because of Iron deficiency, you can take figs and few dates daily. It really helps.
    You can also take Raagi since it is good for iron deficiency. And also you can have raw beet juice weekly twice or thrice .