Investing in Gold

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by bharthi, Apr 15, 2006.

1. bharthi

bharthi Junior IL'ite

Friends,

As most of us know, gold prices have been skyrocketing! Are you ladies doing anything differently?

With such higher gold prices, my husband asked me whether we should sell the gold ornaments and cash out. While that looks like a good money making decision, there is a lot of emotion tied to our gold jewellry.

What do you ladies think?

Bharthi

[​IMG]

2. AGR

AGR Bronze IL'ite

Gold is a saving

I dont think u need to sell ur gold..in fact u can buy some because it is expected to reach Rs.1000/- per gm.............you cane xchange ur gold for a new one..........a right time to do tha but u need not sell as gold always has good value even in the international market.......even the country has its savings in the form of GOLD...........

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2006
  3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Hold on to gold

I would say the same as AGR. Bullion market is just flying up. Buy some gold if possible. Gold is the best fiduciary to hold.

4. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Bharati,
    It is not the best time to sell or encash gold. Gold is a very good investment,
    because of skyrocketing prices. Last fortnight I bought a chain, this week the
    price is more. I don`t know how far the prices will go.

5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Gold coins!

Akshaya Thrithi fast nearing, many banks etc are issuing Gold coins. The quality of gold coins of ICICI is supposed tobe very good though a little expensive than usual.
    I think instead of making oranments, we can start buying coins and keep converting them to jewellery as and when required or dispose it off . That way, we won't be sentimentally attached to them too!

Purnima

6. ssubrs

ssubrs New IL'ite

Hi friends
    i dont think it is wise to sell or encash gold given to us for the wedding i assume
    i had a few rings i had to re do.
    so i thought when i go to india i will get that taken care of.At that time gold was about 780.00 per gm.
    i ended up losing my nice two bangles, one chain to make 3 stupid diamond rings/
    i had the rings and the diamonds too.
    this all for the labour charge. it seems to make diamonds they charge 150%. this is a famouse store in kerala --- bHima jewellers.
    i hate my self to be so stupid. now i found out that the rings were not made properly, the prongs are very roungh and it takes strings along of my fine sarees.
    so much for india and dsings. Now when i go back i hav eto go to the local thatan or gold smith and have it redone. doubel work and double the money
    as for selling they take the gold , wash it or melt it and give y9u only 80% of the gold value
    so dont asuume if gold prces are 1000.00 per gram you will get that much.
    you only stand to lose
    subrs

7. Sumeru

Sumeru New IL'ite

Investing in gold is surely a wise bet as I hear that by 2020 the world gold resources would have depleted and the prices are going to shoot northwards very steeply !

Its an asset class that very important for diversifying the investment portfolio too. Buying gold in little quantities as coins is a very good way to accumulating the same.

8. rash

rash New IL'ite

Everyone knows the value of the US Dollar is going down - the only thing that keeps its value is metals - In the early 1900's and ounce of Gold bought a real nice suit - Gold then was around $20 an ounce. Today that same Ounce of Gold Will buy a real nice suit but that $20 would maybe get you a nice tie.

To fight off inflation everyone should be purchasing Gold and Silver in some form - Gold Coins - Silver Coins or bullion / bars

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2008
  9. vkrithika1

vkrithika1 Gold IL'ite

dear all,

I have habit of buying goldcoins when it is less.My father used tell me to buy gold coins whenever the gold prices are low.I took his advice but without understanding .Recently i bought some italian coral roses and jades from us.Now i need not wait for gold price to come down to make jewels with the corals.
    NOw only i understand my papa's advice.

investing in gold is very good investment.

10. mjsaroj

mjsaroj Senior IL'ite

Ya it is nice idea buying gold coins is like saving money