Interview-Need help !!!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by jayana, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jayana

jayana Senior IL'ite

Hi friends,

I am in USA now. I am married. I have applied for PhD here in Universities and one of the University has called me for an interview to decide on my admission, which is going to be in the next week.

I have never in my life attending any interviews so I am really nervous about this one.

I have heard that only the finalists are called for an admission interview.

So I want do make an good impression on them, make them think I am confident, ambitious and will be able to do my research work effectively........

So friends any suggestions on this from ur side will be appreciated.....as I am really nervous and confused as to what and how to prepare my self...

Jay

2. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Though I have never attended interviews for Universities, I can give you ideas from my job interviews..

First thing any intereviewer would look for is your confident talk..Just talk clearly & precisely.

If u dont know something, just say it in a positive way.Dont beat around the bush, that would give a negative impresson on you.
    Always have a smile on your face.. That puts anyone around you in a good mood.

And of course, ur attire is very important.. Wear a neat pressed suit or skirt whichever it is..

Here is the link for job interviewing from careerbuilder... Just go through whichever is appropriate for u.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom/MSN/CareerAdvice/Category.aspx?categoryid=IV

And take it easy, everyone has butterflies in stomach during interview, even the interviewer has it.. :)

Good luck!!

3. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Admission- Interview

Hi Jay,

First <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">point-</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Make</st1:placeName></st1:place> sure you are calm and poised. Be self- confident and don’t ever contradict your self at any point of time. I know they will end up asking questions where you may end up doing so. I will write down the questions (what ever I remember) that were put to me by my professor when I approached him for research.

1) Why do you want to do PhD?
    Give a convincing answer. Not just I like to get into research and teaching.

2) How can you prove that you have the credentials that are competitive enough compared to the rest to get into this program?
    3) What area is of your interest?

4) Have you identified or do you have a clear cut idea of what you want to do in terms of research?

5) How do you think this department would suit your needs /enable you to achieve your goals?

Talk about papers that your have published...if any and your research work so far..

A few personal questions.. but again it depends on the Committee, the school…If it is a big school, then it would be a little stressful. They can ask you about anything—check your performance right from high school till now. ask about your extra curricular. ..research or papers that you have published...I am pretty sure you would by now… know ..a)what field you want to work on and the b) professors in the department whose research interests coincides with yours. If you have already figured out those professors.. and if you have not yet written to them…you can try writing to them explaining your research interests and how it would match with theirs and express why you want to work with them and so on.. If they are on the deciding committee that may be beneficial for you. Do send me a message if you have any questions and I will be more than happy to help you.

You are right…most schools call the finalist for the admission interview… Good luck….

Be confident…it would just be a piece of cake walk …

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2006
  4. laksn

laksn Senior IL'ite

Admission-PhD Interview

Forgot to mention these... If you do not know something..dont get tensed..even if you do , make sure your apperance doesnt give way. You can always take time think and tell them what you feel..... I agree with Selvi...dress well..be punctual and dats pretty much it...One thing talk about everything you have achieved so far--if they ask...even the smallest of the achievements...You have to sell yourself pretty well...The professors like it that way...