1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Interval between two visits to the US on B2(Visitors Visa)???

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by inlovewithmylyf, Dec 3, 2011.

1. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

My parents visited me in June 2011 n they were here for two months... Upon entering the US, they were given 6 months to stay here... Tht is upto December... But they went back to India after staying for two months... Now, they are again planning to come here in January for my delivery n are gonna stay for 6 months... Now, will my parents be given I-94 for 6 months?? Will the immigration officer think tht my parents went back only in December after their 6 months stay n they are again back in January, so will they not be given 6 months to stay here?? Or will he know tht my parents returned to their country after a short stay of two months??? Now, they are gonna come back in 5 months again... Is it ok to return in 5 months?? Will they be given permission to stay for 6 months?? Please help me out by answering this... I am planning to book my parents tickets tomorrow... Thanks in advance...

2. ptrips

ptrips New IL'ite

Hello,

My name is Priti. Whatever I say, please don't consider it as a legal advice. On a visitor's visa, generally, it is preferable to complete atleast 6 months outside USA before visiting again. My father-in-law left USA in 4 months which was february 2011 and came in december 1st 2011, after six months and still was asked at the immigration counter why he is visiting so soon.

In emergency, perhaps your parents may be allowed to enter again but has to be a serious reason. If they tell that you are pregnant and they are here for the delivery they may not b e allowed as the country looses one opportunity of employment for US citizen.

Thanks.

3. inlovewithmylyf

Thaanks a lot for the suggestion Priti... Many have advised us the same, saying tht its better for them to complete 6 months before they enter once again... Ya, I have asked my parents not to say tht they are here for delivery...

When asked, what did ur FIL say for why he was here so soon once again?? N was he given 6 months the second time too?? Just asking to get an idea so tht I can ask my parents also to answer accordingly...

4. ptrips

ptrips New IL'ite

He said that he want to celebrate christmas with the family.

Yes, he was given 6 months. It is the I-94 card that matters. It lists the date of entry and the date before which he needs to leave.

All the entry and exists are recorded in the immigration data base system, so they know exactly when the person enters and leaves.

FYI, I had been a practising Immigration Paralegal for 10+ years and recently resigned from the job to start thinking about freelancing.

You can spread the word around and let me know. Thanks.

5. inlovewithmylyf

Priti, we are not planning to book their return tickets as m also planning to travel with them once my baby s here... Do u think we need to book their return tickets too to show tht they will go back in 6 months??? Will it be asked by th immigration officer???

6. ptrips

ptrips New IL'ite

No, I just meant that they need to leave before the last date mentioned in their I-94 card.

7. inlovewithmylyf

Thanks a lot for ur help Priti...