1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inter-country adoption from India vs. other countries

Discussion in 'Adoption' started by sripree, Dec 27, 2014.

1. sripree

sripree Gold IL'ite

Hi ILs,

I am looking for some guidance on adopting a child.

1. What is the eligibility criteria for in-country adoption? What is the classification that differentiates resident vs. NRI?

2. Has anyone gone through inter-country adoption from India as an NRI? What are the costs involved? Please can you give detailed break-down?

3. I have started gathering info on NRI adoption - seems very expensive to me! I am considering adopting from other countries as well - does anyone have experiences adopting from other countries? Which is the quickest / cheapest country to adopt from? Race of the child is not a barrier for us.

4. Cost is a big factor for us as we'd rather spend the thousands of dollars on the child's education than in agency fees.

5. Has anyone adopted a child in the US / UK from your local government? What has your experience been? How interfering are the social services in the first few years of adoption?

6. Does anyone have experiences adopting a toddler? We are open to adopting a child with minor special needs (such as cleft palate) under the age of 4. What has your experience been?

Please reply to this thread even if you only have thoughts on one or two questions.

Thanks so much!!!

sindmani likes this.