1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inspired by Induslady's latest thread-How Did you come up with your user name?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Priya
    You have a very valid point there. In the initial stages, cheeniya turned out to be very enigmatic and the major confusion lying in the area of my gender. While women started viewing me as a rival for no reason, men started falling in love with me! In the chat rooms of Rediff, men were fighting to death in attracting my attention! Even when I told them that they were barking up the wrong tree, they came to the conclusion that I must be a married middle-aged lady with a couple of school going kids! Initially all this confusion was giving me unbridled mirth but over a period of time, it started getting on my nerves. It was then I started signing as Sri but that did not bring down the gender confusion either.

Soon I started feeling like a 'Nabumsakan' and I had to set right the record urgently and firmly. It was then I started announcing my age and gender loud and clear. I told that cheeniya was more like the picture of Dorian Gray behind which there was a lot of unpalatable truth! Over a period of time, the craze for my hand subsided and I soon became a venerated old man. But as you rightly surmise, in this process of revelation I have suffered a bit. I have lost the verve and enthusiasm to spin out tales of youth and its fallibility that regaled everyone. If at all I write an OP now, it is more about planets that missed earth by a hair's breath and the like and not about the hair on my face and its stark truth! In retrospect, I realise that cheeniya too has become insufferably old and hackneyed!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    So, this is the story behind your ID name! How I missed this I do not know.

When I first joined in IL....I was new, somebody told me it is mainly for Tamilians and I am not a Tamilian and I thought I would not be comfortable. But still signed in. Started browsing various sections which generally interest women...cookery, gardening, book lovers group etc etc. I saw the snippets section but did not broWse it thinking they may be boring blogs. Rarely I used to go through them and found some interesting.....not that much as to visit daily. Cheeniya Ramblings......I never touched them, thinking they might be like Sardarji (no malice towards them) and I don't have taste for such jokes.After six months...one day out of sheer boredom, thought let me see the jokes in Cheeniya Ramblings. My God! How wrong I was?????They are amazing...potfull of knowledge, English Literature (I am a lover of literature), brilliant ideas, thought provoking. Wodehouse type humour. I instantly fell in love with the ramblings. After that...thanks to Chitra madam I read all. Started commenting everything that You wrote. Remaining sections...now and then. Not often. Time restraint.

BTW..what does Cheeniya mean? Any special meaning in Tamil? You should have remained enigmatic......Many more fans would have been there!!!!!

Syamala

3. Cheeniya

My dear Syamala
    I thank the the Providence that made you peep into my Ramblings and take an instant liking for them. Thanks a lot for your very liberal praise which I attribute more to your sheer indulgence! I used to be a very regular writer but nowadays I spend more of my time in writing FBs to others' threads and also in the Finest Posts Section. I love my interactions with ILites who hold me in such love and affection.
    Cheeniya is another shorter version of my original name and is a bit uncommon. As someone once told me, it also comes close to meaning 'sweetness'!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    I wonder how I missed this thread. Anyway no regrets. In fact I'm glad that someone has dug it up and brought to my notice because after reading the Op and fbs and your response to them I felt I had the yummy cake with a topping of ice.
    In a way I feel sad also that when I joined IL I opted for my original name as user name and after seeing the user names here I feel I was foolish to use it. If I change my user name now even the few members who read my write ups will stop reading them.

It iwill be like kan ketta piragu Suriya namaskaram!

PS

5. Cheeniya

Dear PS
    Thank you for your liberal appreciation. A lot of people use their real names and with a great degree of success too. Meenasankaran, Shyamala1234, sudhavnarasimhan are some of the popular members who come to my mind. Just look at the names of members in the index and you will find many who have opted for their real names as ID. You, PS, are one of my favourites. So don't despair!
    Sri

6. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

One has no founding over one's real name. By the time bubbly and pigtailed 'pancharatnam' frolics to her nursery, and the realization dawns that her classmates are 'sonia' and 'anamika', love for her great grand-mother suffers a dent. Atleast in virtual world one has helmed control and responsibility of one's moniker.

And with a multi-lingual overlapping handle like yours

cheeni (Hindi)
    niya (Tamil)
    en (French)
    he (English)

I say that is paragon of literary craft.

7. Cheeniya

Dear Aria
    Let me tell you that some of my classmates had names like Pitchammal, Maragathamani and Abhayam. The poor girls did not have the escape route that the modern girls enjoy and they were stuck with their cradle names. To add to their woes, the boys gave funny twists to their names and came out with awful nicknames.
    I have been having this handle for years but it needed you to point out my French connection! Thank you!
    Sri

8. Cheeniya

9. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

10. Cheeniya

Dear kaniths
    From a notification from my gmail, I could see that you had posted the following message initially:
    Why? When you & Viswa sir can talk about how you came up with nicknames... can I not here? :roll:

You probably had a change of mind and altered it! :)
    This thread was written by me as my usual Ramble and had nothing to do with the one opened by Induslady. That's why I added the words 'Inspired by' to the title. All the subsequent discussions centered around what I had originally posted. I shifted yours since it had nothing to do with my original thread.
    I hope you understand the rationale behind my action.
    Sri