1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inspired by Induslady's latest thread-How Did you come up with your user name?

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 8, 2007.

1. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

Gotcha, sugar!! :rotfl
    it took u so long ...?! duh! i thought the question was very simple, "So, what's in ur name?" !

http://www.indusladies.com/forums/cheeniyas-senile-ramblings/8311-whats-in-a-name-7.html#post78346

So, what was that in the other thread? Akshay Kumar, Spiderman, tasting thunder, throw it from the seventh floor and the likes? Whereas you, walk across/down the street and get it? That simple? Look who is talking! It took you a few months, a few visits to the clinic, and a few blogs, to answer a simple question! you could have answered me right then and given me peace of mind... Rant

Was it worth all the wait? Certainly!
    I'm So Sure..!

R,
    Sharada

P.S: Not sure if this post should be here or the other thread!

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sharadha
    Oh my! I don't even know how to apologise now! I read this FB of yours with bated breath until you declared it was worth the wait. I heaved an ecstatic sigh of relief. I always want to give myself an exciting reason for choosing this nick name of Cheeniya but it has so far remained elusive. Cheeniya! Some say it is effeminate. Some call it stupid. Of course some find it cheerful and friendly. I really endeavour to fit into that last description!
    And my most sincere thanks for putting in your appearance in my forum again!
    Sri

3. So Sure

So Sure Senior IL'ite

Hi Sugar,

You dont have to apologize! Far from it.. :)

You must be akshay kumar, spiderman, Inspector Clouseau and some more characters put together. May be a li'l mellowed down! One of them who "cannot do without that extra bit of excitement". Coz, you wouldn't let me know what ur name is and to top it off, u say u'll stick to it...?!bonk
    Why complicate life? WitsendYou could have explained your name... I would have said a formal "thank you, sir, appreciate it!" and we would have forgotten about it!

And, I dont think you just walk across the street and get ur drink. You will jump a li'l, hop a li'l, run a li'l, skip a li'l, get the drink, go "Ganga Cha Yamuna Chaiva ... " and then drink it! :rotfl

I've been a bit busy with complicating lives, especially mine, what with the recession here in the US. After a long time, I was in IL. I saw your thread! Couldn't resist adding spice to your thunder!!

Regards,
    Sharada

4. Cheeniya

Dear Sharadha
    It was precisely this fear that you might dismiss the momentous revelation of my name with just a 'Thank you Sir! I appreciate it' that made me play hide and seek with you! And by your own admittance, you would have thereafter forgotten me altogether!

But I do feel great that you could your find time to visit my Ramblings despite your busy schedule. For once, I feel satisfied with myself!
    Sri

5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I enjoyed reading this post (actually everyone of your posts) and the responses to your posts as well. Now I know you as Cheeniya, if you come with a different ID and still write about various subjects in inimitable style of yours , I am not sure how I would react to your posts. I am unable to determine in my mind after I responded to so many of your posts, whether I respond now to the posts based on the content or do I respond to the person I believe is behind the post? Initially, it looks like it is the blog that builds the reputation for a writer and later when he or she attracts attention of many readers, after sometime, the readers start responding to the writer behind the blogs, even though they never met him, and not to the content of the blog. Once the writer establishes familiarity, the demeanor of the readers change. For example, if you write one blog tomorrow in IL with an ID as Venkatesa or Sridhar writes a short story in the name of Rishi, I might respond, "you write well and keep writing more" instead of writing "you have an inimitable style of writing". Frankly, I am not sure I would give same priority in responding to the posts with new ID. I am not sure whether posts with new IDs will have same level of responses.

Speaking of IDs, I was also participating in Rediff chat room with an ID Jawahar or Jawa and later I settled down with the ID as "Viswamitra" representing my Gothram because other users duplicated my name Jawahar or Jawa often. Moreover, I noticed that the ID is so unique so that no one would replicate. Therefore, when I started in IL I used the same ID.

Viswa

2 people like this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Viswa
    This what we call as 'Brand Equity'! We struggle to establish our identity and when it catches up, there is no need to struggle for any longer. Why would I write in another ID when I know it will fall flat? After watching the inimitable Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau in Pink Panther series, I found it difficult to appreciate Steve Martin in that role. This is despite the fact that Steve was not bad nor the story lacked the punch.

In a different ID, I may need to slog all over again and it may not be worthwhile. Nor do I intend changing the Owl as my Avatar. I also once tried to use my Gothra 'Naidruva Kasyapa' as my ID but when people started addressing me as 'Nitric Acid' I gave up that ID hurriedly. Viswamitra is a nice wholesome ID. You must stick to it. Even when people shorten it for convenience, it can be only Viswa as I call you. There is no chance of your being called by an acid's name!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

My dear Anna whenever I feel bored I like going through your Ramblings. Today noticed that I had not given fb to this thread. Your threads are always interesting to read and especially the old ones because I am able to read the fbs of old ILs too who are not to be seen in IL now a days. Your thread and their fbs are interesting to read.

In the beginning I never knew that you can have a different username. This username was given by my daughter . When I see the different usernames here I feel I should have also had some different username because I always like to be different.

8. Cheeniya

My dear Viji
    This username fits you like a glove. I won't be surprised if your username finds its way to the dictionaries as a synonym for love, concern, optimism, cheer and all such qualities that add sheen to human life. Thank you for the nice things you have said about my past threads. You like them possibly because you are my dear sister!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

You made my day with your sweet message, thanks for the compliments . I have no words to express my feelings. Getting a compliment from you is like getting an award for me

1 person likes this.
  10. PriyaKathiravan

PriyaKathiravan Silver IL'ite

Mr. Sreenivasan Saar,
    no,no,no.....this does not sound 'right". It feels like talking across a glass pane to the Hon. secretary of the (whatever) Association...in a word, distant and dreary. And it does not suit you at all. No . for me, in this space, 'Sreenivasan' is no match to the jaunty, natty, lively ,lovely 'Cheeniya' that reflects the essence of your writing right and proper. Is that because I knew your writing as Cheeniya to begin with that no other name, be it a standard Sreenivas or a snazzy Shevardnadze, can be a perfect fit ? Like, no one ever wants to think of Dilip Kumar as Yusuf Khan or Marrilyn Monroe as Norma Jean.....and then, in Blogosphere, I guess it is much easier to lose your reserve and go unplugged when masked with a fictitious name ( the more peculiar, the merrier !) , its like rewriting a personality for yourself. Perhaps a flippant Username helps to look at oneself from the outside ,as a distinct persona , and sandpaper some of the rough edges and frayed features the original being has.....User ids. for Gods , aka Sahasranamams, may perform the same function. The deity may shrug with disinterest when pestered and prayed to as " Narayana, Iswara, Ambal , give me this, give me that..." but may wake up and take some interest if the supplication is addressed to " Bhakthasvatsala, Karunamurthy, Roopasowbhagyadayinee..." Usernames do have their uses............but Alas ,poor me ! I dunno what state of mind i was in when I signed up, but it never occured to me to adopt a brand new persona. So when a question like 'why did you choose this username' comes up, i am like, duh, my mummy named me so.... eeesh! how dumb !.....wasted opportunity . I could have been WhiteWash or BlackMoney, BitterGourd or SweetPea , KingFisher or QueenBee , MacBurger or PacMan........what fun to have everyone guessing about one's gender, age, profession, marital status , mental health!............which brings me back to Srinivasan and Cheeniya. I can easily believe Srinivasan being 70+ ; but always doubt if Cheeniya is really all so old as he so frequently likes to keep hammering in....methinks, the Avatar protests too much.

4 people like this.