1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Innocent exploration of life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]Those days there were no play or kinder garden schools. I was 4 years old and I wanted to go to a school. My parents decided to take me to a school and see whether I would be admitted into a school at that age. They took me to the Ramakrishna Mission Elementary school. When they started talking to the Head Master, he politely declined admission as I was too young. Watching this, I decided to find a short cut. I picked up a coin in my pocket and offered it to the Head Master seeking my admission. My parents were alarmed by this action and started apologizing profusely. However, Head Master after understanding my keenness to learn decided to admit me into the school. Mission accomplished.

I managed to buy a slate and a box full of slate stick to take it to the school on the first day. I was all dressed up to go to the school. My mother took me to the school and handed me over to the class teacher promising him to pick me up later in the afternoon. I was so excited to attend a class and happy to meet class room full of friends. They were all very kind to accept the youngest kid in the class warmly. Most of them knew to write a few numbers and a few alphabets. I didn’t know any alphabets but the teacher was patient to teach me alphabets and numbers all day. At the end of the day, he decided to test how many students knew a few alphabets and numbers. He came to each desk and reviewed the slates. My friends did well and I did not even write a single number or alphabet in my slate. My teacher graded my slate as -0-/100. It is very common those days to put a dash next to a number on either side. I visualized as a picture and was very happy that my teacher had drawn something in my slate out of love.

As I was always adventurous, I decided to explore to walk to my house from the school on my own. When my mom saw me returning from school on my own to our house, she was shocked. Then, she took my slate to find out what I learned that day and was again shocked to look at the grade. I was kind enough to explain to my mom what I learned that day but told her politely that I was not able to write it in my slate as I was not able to memorize the shape of numbers and alphabets. My mother understood that I was able to write it when I see a shape in the blackboard but could not memorize that shape and repeat it when a test was conducted. She diplomatically told me that I scored a zero out of 100 and it was not a picture as I imagined.

Then she asked me whether I showed it to anyone on my way. I told her that I was able to not only show to many of my friends but also to their moms as I genuinely thought it was a picture. Then my fast track training started at home to catch up with big boys and girls in the school. Towards the end of the year, I made substantial catching up and respectable level of knowledge for a first grader. I was promoted to Grade 2. Now published books are to be bought and I have to begin reading some books and learn things at home. My dad bought some brown color wrappers for my book and nicely covered them up. Then systematically put labels at the middle of the wrapper and wrote nicely my name “Viswa” followed by class “2” and section “C”. I watched him do all that.

Then a visitor came to our house in the evening and I was inside the bedroom. My father called me to proudly introduce me to his friend and I reluctantly came out. The visitor hugged me and asked me politely, “What is your name?” and I immediately responded, “Viswa 2-C” as written in the label by my dad. My mom, dad and his friend started laughing aloud and I stood smiling not knowing why they laughed.

Note: This has happened in the year 1958 when I started to go to school and eventually I went to S.S.L.C. when I was 14 years. I had to get under age exemption to sit in the public exam. I will write more about my catching up experience later in other posts.
    [/JUSTIFY]

11 people like this.

2. insha

insha Gold IL'ite

Funny sir..Your parents must have had a hard time managing you...In my case,on the contrary though i was very good in grasping and studying i never liked to go to school..Somehow loved to stay with my mom at home though it couldnt happen:rotfl

2 people like this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Insha,

Thank you for your first response to this post. I was a hyperactive child and I am sure that my parents had tough time managing me. I experienced that myself after my son was born. It is interesting that you had a natural tendency to grasp and learn things even though you had no interest to go to school. You prove without debate that "a genius is born and not made".

Viswa

2 people like this.
  4. kiranavvari

kiranavvari Gold IL'ite

Viswa Sir,

Your thread brought back my memories. When my brother started to go to school (1st std), I also used to with him . That school was a very small private school, and my parents didn't want to join me there as it was expensive for them. They can't afford. But I was so adamant to go to school that I used to go behind my brother, and then used to sit near the door of my brother's class itself. After seeing for few days (I think a week) like that teachers allowed me to sit inside the class. They thought I will loose the interest in another week. But when I continued like that for a month, teachers told my parents that only when they pay fee for me they will allow me to school and they convinced my parents. My parents had to pay fee. Initially, my parents couldn't afford to buy uniform also, I had a frock of blue and white, the teachers were very kind enough to allow me with that frock itself. Teachers gave almost 6 months time for me to buy uniform. Later seeing my interest, teachers promoted me to 2nd standard in the middle of the same year. That means 1st std and 2nd std in same year. I finished off like that. Though I was ready to learn higher classes, teachers never allowed me stating that later it would be problem as my parents can't afford to pay fees for higher exams etc.

Thanks to you. it made my day.

1 person likes this.
  5. deepd

deepd Gold IL'ite

It was such a pleasure reading your post Sir. Waiting eagerly for the next post....

1 person likes this.
  6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

A very cute thread Viswa Sir and I enjoyed the innocence of that age :) I too came back home on my own the very first day of my school and got a scolding from my mom which I still remember because the route involved crossing a busy road and I can imagine what a shock it must have been to her.

and I had a friend who came running all the way from the entrance of our building shouting" mummmy i got 48th rank " poor girl, she thought higher the number better it was....what was the necessity to rank each and every student, I now wonder.

another friend also came home complaining that the arithmetic paper was very tough.. when his mom said " but we have done sums on apples like this" he exclaimed in all seriousness " but they asked about oranges, amma"

Oh, so cute those chidlish days are..:)) thanks for bringing back lovely memories

5 people like this.
  7. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Very sweet viswa sir. :)

Your parents must have been very proud of you I am sure.

1 person likes this.
  8. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

sir your post brought back my good old schooldays.even our teachers celebrated saraswathi poojai and distributed sundal when i was in 2nd class.nowadays no school pays importance to such celebrations.

1 person likes this.
  9. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Viswa 2-c Sir.. at such young age you knew money power... now kids this time dont want to go school so happily.. we have to bribe them..

2 people like this.
  10. insha

insha Gold IL'ite

Sir,

Irrespective of the amount of truth in it,getting the name 'Genius' from a wise person like you makes me feel so great honestly..:bowdown

1 person likes this.