"Infractions" system introduced!

Discussion in 'Site Help & FAQs' started by Induslady, May 2, 2007.

1. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi,

I even agree with Sridhar sir..

Duplicating occurs when they would haven't got information for their query and think shall post in general category to recieve other opinion and suggestions...(most of the times)

Again first3 are little harsh, as daily we are getting new members, who might not have proper knowledge of the forum even.

This would sometime stop the person from posting thread, which obstract to share their feelings,than posting in worng place and recieving penality,. make them to think they can be a slient readers.

Please consider our opinions mam.

Thanks,
    usha.

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello Varalotti, Cheeniya, Sunita, Mythili, gokusha,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. It is only because of such dynamic participation, our community stands out.

We also thought long and hard about the infractions system before implementing it. However, based on this feedback, we are modifying the system whereby for the first 5 transgressions listed in my earlier note, we will first provide a friendly warning. Only if they commit that a second time, we will penalize with points.

We are probably fearing this more than we need to. We expect this to be applied to a minority of members. We have one of the most caring and reasonable moderators and they will apply their thoughtful judgement as we do this.

Unfortunately, with a few members we are not seeing what Cheeniya and Varalotti are mentioning. They are not correcting their errors after seeing that their earlier message was moderated. They seem to be doing what they always do with the hope that some moderator will come clean it up. Only after seeing these repeated offenders did we decide to implement the infraction system even though this capability existed for several months.

We don't want to set-up a system where this cleaning up of forum is expected out of the moderators by default. That wouldn't be scalable at all. As we clean-up mistakes we want to ensure that we leave a self-correcting mechanism behind.

All that being said, this team is good at learning from things and course-correcting as needed. So, we will watch how this goes for the next few weeks and update the policy as needed.

Once again, thankyou very much for the thoughtful comments. We all know how valuable it is as we have internalized what our beloved Thiruvaluvar said 2000 years ago..

இடிப்பாரை இல்லாத ஏமரா மன்னன்
    கெடுப்பா ரிலானுங் கெடும்

P.S - As our site goes national, I didn't want to use tamil, but couldn't help this time. For our non-tamil friends, can I request our beloved varalotti or cheniya to tranlate:)

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Friends,
    As usual the "munthirikottai" of I L comes out with the translation of the above Thirukkural:

The king, who is without the guard of men who can reprove and thus protect him, will ultimately perish even if he has no enemies to seek his destruction.

Love,
    Chithra.

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

I Salute the Real Leader in you, Malathy!

Hello Induslady,

That is real, responsive and really responsible leadership, which is gradually becoming your trademark, Malathy. I fully agree with the modification brought out by you. For those 'milder transgressions' the members might be issued a very clear warning. And if they do not pay heed to that, then let them be punished.

I have another suggestion. Let the moderators just record the first 5 transgressions committed by the members in a separate thread (open only to the Mob). At the end of three months let us have a look at the list and then review this decision.

Mark my words, Malathy, we at IL are going to reach far greater heights, especially with the kind of leadership you provide.

I am happy and proud to see your quoting the most apt Thirukkural. Let me now fill up the mandate you have given me to translate that into English, though Chitvish has done it first.

And here's my version:

No enemy is required to destroy a king who does not have advisors to tell him what is right and what is wrong. He will perish by his own deeds.
    varalotti

5. radhavenkatesh

radhavenkatesh Silver IL'ite

Helo il team,

Threads: 5,949, Posts: 59,976, Members: 6,467 as on time 1.30 pm ist.

Indus ladies is supposed to be a free site where people can express and share their feelings.

maybe infractions method is necessary to control such a large group but at the same time maybe there needs to be liberalisation also.

i fully agree with mr varalotti's views .
    Only the below listed should be taken into consideration for penalisation for the smooth functioning of il

• Insulted Other Member(s) (15 pts, 30 days)
    • Inappropriate, abusive, offensive Language (15 pts, 30 days)
    • Spammed Advertisements (30 pts, 30 days)
    • Soliciting Friendship (30 pts, 30 days)
    • Sexually Offensive Post (50 pts, never)
    Rest are not serious enough to be put into list of infractions .
    Threads are started to share and express their views sometimes they mabye already started no body wants to duplicate a similar thread wantingly isnt it ?
    at the same time all the members come here to spend their time when they are free and have some place to express themselves freedom of speech is there according to our govt rules maybe few rules not to hurt others purposefully shd be imposed at the same time rt now il is going great why to hinder it and put it into frames .

il has become a platform for many people to express their problems, questions and so many issues which most of them can never voice out also genuine cases shd not be getting penalties with their ignorance for form rules and regulations.

IF any member goes beyond control or somebody complains then already some measures are there to stop them frm comming to il

exchange of words within limits is always welcome ,how can a person be always v nice exchanging pleasantries? people should face bitterness along with sweetness in all ways of life so should il not be vulnerable to comments and should grow in leaps and bounds.
    As mr cheeniya has said all are matured enough ,Keeping IL is a commitment of every member. Everyone has to play a role here, not just the moderators.

maybe i am not clear in expressing my views because of my ignorance , or style of writing as i am not a writer but i wish to express my views , I do not knw if i have conveyed my meaning properly to u people .

6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

I also fully agree with Mr Varalotti's views. Sometimes I myself is in a dilemma whether I post my new thread in the right forum. Hence punishing a person for posting a thread in an inappropriate forum seems to be a bit harsh. This happens only very rarely. This is my humble opinion. The first time offenders should be warned. Moderators' job is very tough and really admire their work.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2007
  7. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radha and Pushpavalli,

Thanks for agreeing with me on this. As you know Induslady has already agreed to our views. For all the mild transgressions like wrong forum, wrong title the members will not incur infractions. But will get a gentle mail/pm from the moderators reminding them of the correct procedure. When they do the offence for the second time then they may have to face the music.

Now I think what Malathy says is quite reasonable. And infractions after the warning will be mild and will not be a disability for the member.

Radha and Pushpa, we should have some kind of orderliness in this great site so that it continues to be member-friendly for all time to come.
    So let us all agree to this moderation/modification. I have also suggested that a list of minor infractions be maintained somewhere so that we can review it after a while.
    regards,
    varalotti / sridhar

8. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi everybody.

my post was moved from health to the cooking section. the post name was everyday rice. i post in the health section because a post about oil was there. so i thought if oil was there why not rice but i was wrong and i am sorry and after that i have some difficulty to send my reply. the server was saying i was not allowed to send any reply. i think i didn't do anything on purpose.

bye

Huma

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear all,

Before explaining more about "why" this infraction system, I would like everyone to see this system with a more broader view.

Do NOT see this infraction system as a punishment.
    Do NOT get offended on receiving infractions.

Instead, see this system as a healthy system to introduce some discipline and user friendliness among the site. In fact, this system is being introduced to make it "easy" for our "regular and commited members" - not to get lost or bored by the repititive messages, irrelevant messages in in-appropriate forums, messages with incomplete titles, etc.

Definitely our team of moderators as mentioned earlier will be very sensitive to the feelings of members and will apply their discretion before moderating or giving infraction. But you all need to understand "moderation" is NOT an easy task in a site like with growing memberships and increasing posts.

If our moderators are going to keep monitoring, modifying and correcting repeatedly the mistakes here, round the clock in different time zones, just think when they will get the time to enjoy the valuable posts here, share their opinions and thoughts, etc. If they spend all their time in only corrections, won't IL become a boring place for them? Moreover, sometimes it is humanly impossible to keep correcting repetitive mistakes. It is also being taken for granted that "anyway a moderator will correct it even if I post something wrong".

I am happy so many members have raised their voices and shared their opinions about this system. At the same time, I will be more happy if most of the members are going to be conscious about their postings and make it easy on the moderators from NOT having the need to use the infraction system.

The reason for introducing this system is "NO" where close to discouraging members from posting. What will IL have if not for your posts?

10. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

I go with Sridhar sir in this matter.IL team would you please reconsider?