1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Indus Valley to Incredible India

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Kerman
    A little austerity today will go a long way in ensuring a bright future for your son. I have seen indulgent parents smothering their children with gifts and gadgets that give them the most inappropriate messages of life. Please don't ever feel bad if your son is deprived of what his friends enjoy. It is all for his own good only.
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Good mothers beget good children Syamala. That is the order of nature that has run through all periods of human existence. I can give you a hundred examples but do we need one besides you?
    Sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear PS
    I have read several commentaries to these lines of Yeats but by linking them to our present state of affairs, you have made them amazingly relevant to the modern times. Now that we are almost of the same age group, don't keep your fingers crossed for a long time. Being arthritic, it will be difficult to untangle them later!
    Yes. Let us hope for the better if not the best.
    Sri

4. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Sorry sir :bonk

Indus valley civilization caught the attention of archeologists because they unearthed a well planned civilization, with facilities more advanced for its time. The harappan civilization possessed innovative problem solving ability. The standard of Housing, sewage, roads etc decide the standard of living of the inhabitants.
    (let me not remind you of the roads even in posh Adyar during heavy rains).

Not to mention, we indians talk about culture a lot. A little too much for my taste. Rape capital, corruption, dowry death, aids epidemic... Should we even be allowed to mention the word culture.

My answer to your gd was, a society that tries to solve its problem using innovative, out of the box thinking to achieve all inclusive growth (will succeed and) might be remembered / admired / talked about in future.

We don't have to worry about what we will be named. Because we might never even be remembered / spoken about.

3 people like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Dear Anita
    My sense of relief is too overwhelming on reading this. If you had delayed this explanation even by a day, I would have become completely bald ( meaning a goodbye to the last strand of hair).

To start with, let us all understand one thing. A civilisation does not mean that all the people who live at that point of time are civilised. To quote my favourite author Armesto "Loosely used, a civilisation means an area, group or period, distinguished in the mind of the person using the term by striking continuities in ways of life and thought and feeling. So, we can speak of the Western Civilisation, Chinese Civilisation, the Vedic Civilisation and so on"
    So a civilisation does not take its name from any value-based attributes.

That gives us some relief in the sense that we will not be condemned as a state of lawlessness some thousand years later. There is also this possibility that human values will keep on nose-diving and that to those living at that distant point of time, we may be a highly civilised society!
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  6. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

My English major mom used to insist on brevity. For once I obey mom and see what happens. :hide:

That is true sir. :)....

1 person likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sir, sorry to bring this up again. Just as I read this response, I also read an article on yahoo which spoke of the same thing but ended with "The one common thing here (to all the babies) is that there is immense potential in each of these babies, irrespective of where they were born"! I liked that take and I think the challenge is in looking at the possibilities and the difference we can make! Would you agree that irrespective of the karma we bring with us, there is potential in us to make a difference to our own existence?

PS: I am searching for the article. I will be sure to share the link if I find it.

8. Cheeniya

No Srama, I beg to differ with you.The potential to make a difference and to outshine others are again ingrained into our Karma. Not every petrol bunk attendant becomes an Ambani nor a bearer in a hotel becomes an Oberoi. Karma is refutable. The basic lesson is to engage in such acts of piety that will mitigate our future Karma. My idea is not to become a celebrity but to live an honest life so that I do not pile up more and more of this Karma. To move away from a material to spiritual existence.
    Is it not a cruel joke to say that the children born in a slum share the same potential as the son of Kate?

9. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

No sir, I don't think the author implied the same potential as the prince but the potential to have a better life than they were born into. If we do not have that hope, how can life go on sir? I do agree that it is important to be able to live an honest life and isn't that what we have been talking in this thread any ways?

10. Cheeniya

The potential that most of us talk about relates to our material well being which in no way plays a role in mitigating our Karma. I mentioned the disparity at birth just to highlight the need to turn spiritual as early as possible in our life. That is the reason why Dharma is mentioned as the starting point of the four Purusharthas. That should be the guiding spirit of the remaining three viz Artha, Kaama and Moksha

1 person likes this.