1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

India's Obsession Over The Western Culture

Discussion in 'Interesting Shares' started by Thoughtful, Aug 25, 2022.

1. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

3. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

On an unrelated note, I have had trouble telling my non-tamil speaking Indian friends on why Modi shoving hindi down tamil nadu's throat is an unpardonable sin. What Macaulay did to India with English and what Modi is trying to do to tamilians with hindi is not very far off.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

That Macaulay quote in post #2 is false and propagated by Whatsapp University. Here's the original minute by Macaulay.
    Minute on Education (1835) by Thomas Babington Macaulay (It's long. I skimmed through it. Points 10, 33 and 34 relate to the false quote)

[10] I have no knowledge of either Sanscrit or Arabic. But I have done what I could to form a correct estimate of their value. I have read translations of the most celebrated Arabic and Sanscrit works. I have conversed, both here and at home, with men distinguished by their proficiency in the Eastern tongues. I am quite ready to take the oriental learning at the valuation of the orientalists themselves. I have never found one among them who could deny that a single shelf of a good European library was worth the whole native literature of India and Arabia. The intrinsic superiority of the Western literature is indeed fully admitted by those members of the committee who support the oriental plan of education.

[33] To sum up what I have said. I think it clear that we are not fettered by the Act of Parliament of 1813, that we are not fettered by any pledge expressed or implied, that we are free to employ our funds as we choose, that we ought to employ them in teaching what is best worth knowing, that English is better worth knowing than Sanscrit or Arabic, that the natives are desirous to be taught English, and are not desirous to be taught Sanscrit or Arabic, that neither as the languages of law nor as the languages of religion have the Sanscrit and Arabic any peculiar claim to our encouragement, that it is possible to make natives of this country thoroughly good English scholars, and that to this end our efforts ought to be directed.

[34] In one point I fully agree with the gentlemen to whose general views I am opposed. I feel with them that it is impossible for us, with our limited means, to attempt to educate the body of the people. We must at present do our best to form a class who may be interpreters between us and the millions whom we govern, --a class of persons Indian in blood and colour, but English in tastes, in opinions, in morals and in intellect. To that class we may leave it to refine the vernacular dialects of the country, to enrich those dialects with terms of science borrowed from the Western nomenclature, and to render them by degrees fit vehicles for conveying knowledge to the great mass of the population.

Compare the above three points to the alleged quote. Macaulay did not believe that "India's backbone was her spiritual, cultural heritage and her old and ancient education system." He thought, " a single shelf of a good European library was worth the whole native literature of India and Arabia."

We can talk about why Indians are obsessed with western culture and values but first we have to get facts right, such as Macaulay quotes or about plastic surgery and cataract surgery performed in India 2,800 yrs ago (the girl in the video says this).

Thoughtful likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

On an also unrelated note, how many of your Tamil speaking friends enroll their children in Tamil medium schools?

Thoughtful likes this.
  6. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Thank you @Rihana for the response. There is no point if I share this and the topic is not open for debate. I appreciate the view point, thanks for indulging me on this topic which is quiet close to heart for me.

I don't intend to argue on the veracity of Macaulay's statement from #2. I however will argue the spirit behind it that the culture of a civilization can be changed with education.

This example hits home for me when talking about the thrust of hindi inside tamil nadu. Tamil is the identity of most tamilians and I wouldn't argue that it has waned with English taking more and more headway. This is going to take a bigger beating when hindi comes in and tamil slowly goes out. That day I will say tamil and tamilian is dead.

In Tamil Nadu more than a person identifying themselves as a hindu, muslim or christian, I have seen examples of them identified as a tamilian. The passion that is ignited in people when they share their tamil learnings beyond their religious identity is mesmerizing. People fall on religion when they have deeper questions, tamil fulfils that without segregating or belittling another.

It is tough to explain thirukkural or the greatness of other literary works which formulate this tamil identity to someone who doesn't understand the language. Just like how the spirit of the song is gone if one were to translate and explain the song "Main pal do pal ka shayar hoon".

Hah! We always want to throw a challenge of our liking to measure someone's passion and belief. I would argue that the key learnings of tamil are not much greater in a tamil medium school as compared to reading tamil as a language in school.

Rihana likes this.
  7. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I missed to answer this question. Do we really need the facts to the nth degree to tell that Indians are obsessed with western culture. Do Indians really feel proud of their identity or the accomplishments of their forefathers. We need a westerner to publish an article or make a movie or patent something very Indian for us to recognize our own achievements. The video makes that point.

Rihana likes this.