Indians In New Zealand introduce yourself here!

Discussion in 'Indians in New Zealand' started by Kelly, Nov 7, 2007.

1. praba1979

praba1979 New IL'ite

Hi Anu,
    I am from India(tamil nadu). Presently I am working in IT in India. I have an experience of 10 years in the software industry. I recently came back to India from USA, after working there for almost 8 years in IT sector.

I have, recently applied for the permenant residence in NZ through the points based skilled migrant category.

I want to find a job in NZ even before I get my permenant residence in NZ because that will give me more points in my permenant residence processing if i have a job offer in NZ.

Please let me know the source that (like an consultancy) that would help me to get a job offer in NZ.

I would really appreciate your response
    Thanks
    Praba

2. subhaanand

subhaanand New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

I am Subha, new to the community and new in Auckland. Came here from Chennai after my wedding in September. I am still finding my feet here and trying to create an identity. Would be nice to meet people here.

I have been on this website many times before for recipes and ideas.

Cheers,

Subha

3. PrabhaNiv

PrabhaNiv New IL'ite

Subha, nice to meet you!

Hi Ladies

I am Prabha from Coimbatore. I moved to Auckland a few weeks back due to my husbands job relocation, and in the look out for an IT job right now. I have over 5 yrs of experience.

Well I used to follow so many posts in IndusLadies while I used to work in the US, never thought i ll introduce myself in a New Zealand post. :)

Anyways, very encouraging to see the lively Indian ladies helping out eavh other :thumbsup

Any advice for Job Seekers like me without NZ experience would be of great help. I hear that Indians will not get as much interview calls as native people. Is that true? Any tips on applying for jobs and the process? :help

Thanks in adv
    Prabha

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  4. lotus99

lotus99 Senior IL'ite

Hi Prabha,

Nice to meet you.

"I hear that Indians will not get as much interview calls as native people. Is that true?"
    I have not heard or experienced anything like that, esp in IT. As long as you have the skills and are adaptable to the place you will be hired. As you can see in the forum there are lots of Indians working in IT industry here.

Auckland is a great place for immigrants, its very multi-cultural and kiwis dont seem to mind that.

As for job hunt, the job market is still a bit down with not many jobs being advertised. Look in seek and trademe jobs. I got a job through AbsoluteIT, they are quite good for IT related jobs.

Generally employers and the recruiting firms prefer the candidates to be in NZ with a valid visa. That said, my company recently hired 2 people from South africa but these are extremely rare as far as I have seen.

Best wishes for your job hunt.

Cheers
    Vidya

5. PrabhaNiv

PrabhaNiv New IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

Thanks so much for ur reply and wishes. Just for my confidence, can u pls post how long wer u searching before u landed in a job, and also how did the interview go, with client, was it purely behavioral or technical like in INdia.

Thanks in advance
    Prabha

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  6. sajithasajith

sajithasajith New IL'ite

Hi everyone

How is it going on in NZ. My name is Sajitha.........living in UAE right now. I would like to know how is it to bring up kids in NZ. My concern is will they get drifted away with the NZ culture........u know like all those partner stuff and partying and all. I got two boys and u know its difficult to keep boys inside the house......they need to go out with friends and all........so I am a bit concerned........as such I love the place and the people.......but........

Thanks
    Sajitha

7. RaagaSaga

RaagaSaga New IL'ite

Hello people!!

So happy to know of such a forum in NZ...I actually learned of IL through searches for South Indian recipes! :)

We just relocated to Auckland about a year ago...have a young baby as well...Been rather a tough year with new baby, new city and new everything!!! :)

I'm from Chennai, and then got married and settled in Bangalore...currently a stay at home Mom :)
    Would love to make friends with fellow Indians in the Auckland area - we live in Ellerslie.

8. chennaira

chennaira New IL'ite

Re: Are there any NZ Indus ladies members??

Hi,

Am goint to travel to newzealnd by april or may.. to wellington.. Now am in chennai. After my marriage i ll be travelling.. Please guide me that wat al are the things i need to bring from chennai? I heard its very cold in nz..

Where do i get good winter jackets in chennai? -- If anyone have gone from chennai can help me out in this..

Thanks,
    ramya

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. Dibu

Dibu Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ramya,

Are you already in chennai? I saw your message only recently. Winter starts in wellington by June.
    Its advisable to buy thermals and also windcheaters as wellington is windy.

10. snigdha0610

snigdha0610 New IL'ite

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sudha and live in Auckland. Really eager to know people living in NZ.....

We recently moved to Auckland. lived in wellington for about 5 months and moved here a week ago. just wanted to know if there are any sunday or weekly vegetable market from where we can buy vegetables. also v eager to make friends:) thanks...

Last edited: May 18, 2012