Indian food recipes with less carb and gluten free

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Priya16, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I have RA(rheumatoid arthritis) and one of the most preached thing in websites is eliminate dairy and gluten to reduce symptoms of RA.I think because of that Dr(Natropathy) also said the same things.

Regular Dr wouldn't suggest anything on diet for RA other than writing more prescriptions :)

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

I too have RA, it's been 19 year 9 months, I tried almost everything under sun, along with rheumatologist given medicines,

I too found naturopathy helping for me, ( I am also gluten free now as per my rheumatologist suggestion )and no non veg , egg, and other inflammatory food, as per naturopathy.

Search for for anti inflammatory food, which means no sugar, less salt, no fried food etc, as it is auto immune disease.

also search for info about gut permiability.

I have some other items which gives me pain the next day. My rhymatologist said to eliminate the foods which gives a problem , by observing ur self. My RA doc is into research of this also,

even if u try other stuff also, don't neglect to take medicines, as they keep it under control.

take care. And enjoy life.

3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I'm glad you reply to my thread.

would u please list me what food do you eat?

my dr didn't say anything about.So been eating egg.Once again glad to meet you here.

Would you please what food do you typically eat?

4. KashmirFlower

Hi Priya,

As of I know everybody's symptoms are different related food, your body may not react the same as mine, so avoid for few months what ever food is giving more pain and later add one by one and see, if still problem, avoid it again for few months and see.

Other than that u can eat all healthy food, and avoid foods which cause inflammation like salt, sugar, fried food, food with preservatives, canned food.

Non-veg, and egg giving problem for me, i.e more pains, and stiffness in the mornins, so avoiding it, but u can see how it works for u. Actually salmon fish which u get in frozen section of any stores, has plenty of omega-3, which helps in RA.

I eat typical vegetarian Indian food ( as I am on gluten free diet, no bread, no pasta), home cooked, fresh food, I cook in the evening and take same as lunch for tomorrow.

1. I take any of the below as breakfast items:
    soaked nuts, sprouts (made with moong, black eyed peas), chana, idli, dosa, roti made with ragi/bajra/jowar, fresh carrot and cucumber jucie almost everyday,

2. Lunch with lot of veg curries, mostly sauteed in olive oil, with seasoning (mustard, jeera, garlic). Some times I use peanut and sesame seed powder sprinkled on the vegetables for taste.

I take almost all veggies, except potato. Almost all greens I take, I eat spinach very frequently in dal, or mix all greens and make a curry with some onions and tomatoes added to it,

I cook dals with pigeon peas or tur dal, moong dal.

sometimes I eat veg biryani, but I use less masalas.

I use only olive oil to cook food, as it got omega -3 fatty acids which is anti-inflammatory.

I use very less salt.
    foods, which is very sour in taste, like tamarind, raw mango gives me problem, so I avoid it,

I don't have any problem with dairy, but I use organic milk to make curd and coffee.

3. Dinner also same, I eat roti made with jowar or Bajra.

5. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kashmir Flower,

very good information.To be honest,I don't know what foods causes inflammation to me.

I had a good time until last year.,I was off the medicine also(meself :) )

Only from this year I started seeing inflammation acitivity.Earlier I used to lot of exercise,but now unable to do high intensity stuff.So doing normal walk,yoga stuff like that.

Right I had more going in my fingures and wrist joints and started medicine :-(

I have some questions

1)You said ,you have for 19 years.Did you see any joint deformations?

2)What medicine are you on?

3)Do you worry that medicine would harm you more(liver stuff like that)

4)Since you maintained for 20 years,do you worry about future like how life going to be.

My concerns

1)i'm extremely worried about usage of medicines.I hear lot of times the current medicine work for sometime and again need to change more powerful medicine.

2)I have 10 years old kid but sometime think I don't know how I'll be after 10 years.Will I able to function?

Food::

Will try to fallow some of your food tips.I never made jowar or Bajra roti but will try it.
    I eat good amount of veggies and fruits.And also started taking flax seeds as well as fish oil tablets.
    Dr said I can do chicken or fish for some protein.

I'll keep your suggestion about food and will work on it.So far I don't know what causes inflammation to me.

According to dr,I stopped eating corn(I was big fan of it) and also reducing wheat.

Please keep in touch as I feel very good to have another person who is going through similar issues.Thanks for the detail reply.

1 person likes this.
  6. KashmirFlower

Hi Priya, Sorry for late response, I am happy to share information with you.

I am 38 old now. It started when I was 18 years. I was able to manage to study PG , job, marriage and tried my best to live the way I wanted (normal life like everybody) always.
    But it is not easy, with RA. I had very bad days with pains.
    and doc says now good medicines are there, but I don't know how future will be.

Only for little finger on left hand, but it is not visible to others. But I have pain and stiffness in lot of joints and gets worse when I eat the items which I said already.

As u r in US, so the diagnosis, the tests and good doc, is all available to you,

I had to stop my medicines when I was trying to get pregnant, it took couple of years, mean time my RA got worse, I developed lot of allergies, and I got ulcerative colitis too, my doc said, this auto immune condition can be developed any where, if it is for large intestine it is UC. it can show on skin too.
    So I am on Humira now, it is an injection, It works both for RA and UC, so this is given to me, for the past 2 years.

You don't worry, you may not need such medicines, if u keep ur inflammation low.
    mine is severe case, my RA doc, she got into tears on one visit by looking my problems, as one after another was coming in those days for me.

Before I was on sulphosalazine and mobic, mobic for pain killer.

Yes I worry, especially with the injections.
    But for other drugs, the side effects will show on long run I guess, no experience as of now.

Yes , I worry, my husband is worried for our future.

Yes, my doc also said the same,
    But don't stop taking medicine, you may reduce the dosage by consulting ur doc.

Priya, dont worry about functioning, my doc told me that you are not going to be handicapped, as now medicines are good, few years ago it was not the case.

you get treatment with Rheumatologist, I think u r with that doc.
    take ur medicines, follow doc advise, they do all blood work (mine every 3 month doc visit with blood test reports), to see liver and kidney function also, to know if medicine side effects r there etc.

my doc tests for vit b12 (for nervouse system function), vit d (for reducing inflammation) also, as these are important.

My doc not just doc visit, it was like a counselor visit too for me. she talks with my husband also, she talks for family as a unit, in this treatment. She is great!

Another suggestion, Please check food and observe ur self, and then avoid it or take less, search for general anti inflammatory food on web.

I am also happy to talk with you and to be in touch with you, you can mail me, if you want to. Take care.

1 person likes this.
  7. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

You already got some good suggestions.

1. Start with Jowar flour. Out of all the millets, Jowar flour is available everywhere and closest in taste to wheat flour. Ragi has a cooling effect on body so avoid in winter and use more in summer.

2. For pain related to chronic inflammation I found 1 spoon flax seed powder very beneficial. Usually I have it in oatmeal but in a pinch I just have directly and drink some water afterwards.

8. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

KashmiriFlower:
    I was treated many years ago for an autoimmune condition by Dr Lebowitz who was living in WV at the time. His treatment dramatically changed my life (one visit was all it took) and I have not back slid since then. He corrects body imbalances so that you stop having sensitivities. He is currently in Grand Junction CO near the airport and still takes (last I knew) appointments, some folks coming from other countries. He is a pioneer in these types of treatments. My best friend also took treatments from him several years ago and has gone from sleeping 16 hours a day and tons of pain meds to normal amount of sleep and no pain meds (previously on morphine patch and pills). The longer you follow his advice the better you get.

Welcome to Dr. Lebowitz's Site

1 person likes this.
  9. KashmirFlower

Thank You very much tashidelek2002

I will go though the site, a quick question, were u taking normal medicine also along with this ?

10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Just one visit? Wow, that is amazing. Does he have some unique technique, is he mainstream or alternative therapy? Can you explain a little bit what he did for you in very general terms?

I have few family members with different auto-immune conditions, not RA, and I am interested in learning more.