Indian cooking in Electric Stove.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Kurunji, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Hi Friends,
    Sorry this is not a 'recipe' related question -- I've posted it in Ideal Home Section also.

We're moving to another residence next month & the range/stove in the kitchen is the electric type -- and not our regular gas one. I spoke to the manager but they can't install gas only for one villa ; :icon_frown: that too landlord has some safety issues with it they said. No choice of moving elsewhere, as company accomodation -- we have to go there only.

I've cooked only twice so far in hot-plate, when cylinder delivery was not available -- the dosa never came crisp/roasted at all, only became a dull white !! The 2nd. time I burnt the tomato masala as even after I offed the switch, it was cooking &' bottom' was stuck !! Other than these 2 disasters, I have no clue :idontgetit: how to adapt Indian cooking to electric stove.

Would be highly grateful if you guys out there using an electric stove, please post some tips / suggestions ; what dishes we can't make , what needs more care etc. etc. I'm really desperate for solutions ....

Regards.

2. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

use only flat bottomed vessels. You can cook all Indian foods. don't use eversilver vessels directly on the stove, this will cause holes in the vessels.
    put off the stove 3 minutes before you want the pressure cooker to be put off.
    These ideas are from my side, Kurunji.
    let us wait for other ideas and suggestions also.
    Sriniketan

3. Kurunji

Kurunji New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Sriniketan, for your practical tips. But means we can't keep 'vanali' ,kadai type -- as base is curved ! Then how to deep-fry, make halwas etc. ??

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

That is one problem you will definitely face.Most kadais do not have flat bottom,so they take a lot of time to heat up the oil.I too asked the same question some time back and someone said you can get flat bottom kadais.But the problem is that it is very hard to find here. Some one else suggested to use pressure pan for deep frying. Maybe you can do that.:-D

5. Sriniketan

I use the one sold in the local stores with flat bottom. This comes in a set. I use to make halwa with that. the only problem will be, it will consume lot of oil than usual, for deep frying. the other disadvantage is for making vadais, bajjis and other things, if you use our usual kadai the heat will be lost on the sides. but I am using the usual kadai for the same. i don;t know what to do.
    any suggestions please, in this respect.
    Sriniketan

6. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kurunji,

As Sunitha said, I suggested to use 'pressure pan for deep frying'. That is the best way to fry and as you said you have to pour more oil to fry.:cry: But what to do we can see any one at a time . Isit not? You have to use the electric stove to make Indian food.:-D so, as far as possible, make oil items at a time, like if you are going to prepare vada, you fry pappads, do some oil fried items like muruku or any other fired items on the same day to avoid the 'excess fried oil'.
    You can use flat bottom 'appa karal' for making appams as well as vada. so you will not get much 'fried oil' (I used tomake small vadas using appa karal')
    I think this will help you. Or otherwise again ask. We are here to help you.:2thumbsup:

7. Sriniketan

Krishnamma,
    Is it possible to keep Appa Karal in an open electric stove? can it be used using a stand like thing over the stove and then place the appa karal over it?

sriniketan

8. krishnaamma

Hi Sriniketan,

You dont require a stand to keep "Appa Karal" since has flat bottom.

9. Sriniketan

Do we get it in India?
    Thanks for your response, Krishnamma!
    Sriniketan

10. krishnaamma

Hi sri,

Yes we will get super 'appa karal' in Madras. Now a days nonstick appa karals are available. If you want to see it tell me, Let me put the photo of mine.:-D