1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

India Travel with Baby - Do I buy a seat?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by mridusudha, May 13, 2010.

1. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I will be travelling with my son to India for the first time in Oct. He will be 15 months old then.
    Do I buy a separate seat for him? Or can he get a bassinett?

How does it work with Airlines? I have no clue.

So please help!

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Sudha

Best thing to do is check with the respective airlines on what is their policy? that always helps and clears off any doubts/confusion.Even some of the airlines have the policies for international travel published on their websites...so try checking the airlines websites!!

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Go for the bassinet seat if your child will be able to fit into it. For example singapore airlines' bassinet holds a baby upto 30 inches in height and 30 pounds. You will pay 10% of fare plus taxes, and the kid gets to carry 1 check in luggage.

My son went to India at 18 months, and he met the above criteria but I still got him a seat of his own. reason being, whenever there is turbulence, the air hostess has you take the kid out of the bassinet and hold him, so I figured he would not be able to sleep and then bother me. Plus I could not fathom holding him in my lap for a 14 hour flight. Fares were cheap at that time and I got seats for the 3 of us for $3k on singapore airlines.

I think it was a good decision because it gave us room to spread out, plus he got to check in 2 luggages instead of one which was handy for carrying all his milk, food and diaper supplies.

What I also did was book the window and aisle seat in 1 row for him and myself, and put DH in the window seat in the row behind. This way, if no one was in the middle seat, he gets 2 seats to lie down on. And if someone came into the middle seat, we could ask them to exchange with my dh. We lucked out on the sfo-hk flights; no one was in the middle seat. But on the other flights, we were all together and it was fine to manage him as well. Luckily for us, he slept through most of the flights as well.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Oh thanks a lot Pooja. Your input is really appreciated. I will check with the airlines and see. But I agree with you on the Bassinett part. If we have to take out the baby everytime there is a turbulence then I think there is no point. EVen DH was saying let's buy another seat. I think this is more convenient.

But thanks again.

SriVidya, thanks to you too. I will surely check with the airlines.